2009 6Y9 Attendee List

it really doesnt matter when you schedule the fly in, every for some people are going to have other things that come up or have weather or airplane issues or a multitude of things that prevent them from making it. happens every year at every fly in.

Yep, getting pilots to a fly-in is quite similar to herding cats.

Gary

I don't know if changing the date would change attendance much at all. You might get a couple of people that normally have family obligations on Labor Day, but you might lose a couple of people that can't swing it without a long weekend. As for us personally, I can't comment on a 'best weekend' for next year as I have no idea even about what time zone we will be in this time next year.

I say plan it for whatever works best for you guys and those that can, will; and those that can't, won't.

Rachel told me last night that we WILL be there for at least some of the weekend this year. I have my Friday shift covered, but am still waiting on Saturday afternoon/evening shifts. Worst case scenario: We fly up Friday, spend the night Friday night, stick around for as long as possible on Saturday and then one of two things will happen 1.) Rachel and I both come back to Ames and call it 'done', or 2.) I come back and work and Rachel stays up there Sat night and I fly back up Sunday to get her.

THAT'S how much my non-pilot wife has fallen in love with the 6Y9 fly-in: She won't go to OSH, but she is willing to spend the night alone at 6Y9 just so she can be there all weekend!

Missa, AdamZ, I EXPECT to see you there! :yes:

Ted, I'll give the cage to Ed to get to you. And we'll miss you but understand it's for a good cause.

Sorry the plane is already reserved by someone else.

I'm out.

I'm out. The Georgia Puppy Caravan ended up still leaving a large number of animals down there that need to get out of there in short order. So, guess who got the call. Unfortunately this is one of those situations where it can't wait another week.

I'm out.

Oh, pook!

Ted - I was looking forward to meeting you. But, I totally understand about the puppies taking precedence. :yes:

Missa - I was hoping to catch up with you. Last time I saw you, you were - uh - sleeping on a futon in a billiard room... ;)

I was looking forward to meeting you too, Liz! Fortunately, they have this every year, so hopefully next year. :)

Yeah, I know, shucks gee wiz
It's just well we've all become like, well ,like family, and it's like golly gee wiz some of you are not showing up for Christmas:D
Just keeping all options open for the future, we have been blessed with good weather every year so far and this looks really good for this year also.
But one of these day's we're going to get zapped as U.P. weather after Aug. could be very unpleasant.
But not this year, It gonna be ni------ce.
Looking forward to meeting the newbies, wishing all the one's who can't make it ,could:cheerswine:
Safe Flying to all.

I don't know if changing the date would change attendance much at all. You might get a couple of people that normally have family obligations on Labor Day, but you might lose a couple of people that can't swing it without a long weekend. As for us personally, I can't comment on a 'best weekend' for next year as I have no idea even about what time zone we will be in this time next year.

I say plan it for whatever works best for you guys and those that can, will; and those that can't, won't.

Rachel told me last night that we WILL be there for at least some of the weekend this year. I have my Friday shift covered, but am still waiting on Saturday afternoon/evening shifts. Worst case scenario: We fly up Friday, spend the night Friday night, stick around for as long as possible on Saturday and then one of two things will happen 1.) Rachel and I both come back to Ames and call it 'done', or 2.) I come back and work and Rachel stays up there Sat night and I fly back up Sunday to get her.

THAT'S how much my non-pilot wife has fallen in love with the 6Y9 fly-in: She won't go to OSH, but she is willing to spend the night alone at 6Y9 just so she can be there all weekend!

Chris ,you've got an awful good wive there, you better be nice to her or Diz and I are going to adopt her:yes:

I stopped by work this afternoon. My Saturday afternoon shift is covered now - the only thing left is my 'drunk bus' shift from 10pm-3am Saturday night. There isn't much hope of it getting covered as there are 2 other shifts like it listed above mine.

Either way, we will at least be there MOST of the day on Saturday.

wish i still knew people who worked at CyRide...besides chris that is

I stopped by work this afternoon. My Saturday afternoon shift is covered now - the only thing left is my 'drunk bus' shift from 10pm-3am Saturday night. There isn't much hope of it getting covered as there are 2 other shifts like it listed above mine.

Either way, we will at least be there MOST of the day on Saturday.

Dude, you're gonna miss the Hay Ride!!!

As far as cars go - are there a few? Should I rent one so that we can make the occasional town run? I was also thinking about exploring the area a bit....

As far as cars go - are there a few? Should I rent one so that we can make the occasional town run? I was also thinking about exploring the area a bit....

If you can find a place within 100 miles that you can rent a car from, go for it. As far as 'town runs', the town is LITERALLY 100 yards from the runway, and there really isn't anything that needs to be 'run to town for' as the Fredrick's bring everything we could ever need to the airport. Also... I'm not sure there is anywhere to buy anything other than booze in the town anyway. ;)

Actually... You would be a big hit if you could find a place to rent a trailer full of 4-wheelers. :D

If you can find a place within 100 miles that you can rent a car from, go for it.
This is not actually a problem as they'll deliver a car for me from pretty much anywhere :)

As far as 'town runs', the town is LITERALLY 100 yards from the runway, and there really isn't anything that needs to be 'run to town for' as the Fredrick's bring everything we could ever need to the airport. Also... I'm not sure there is anywhere to buy anything other than booze in the town anyway. ;)
That's really good to know. So, in other words, you DO need a car to go to a "real" town.

Actually... You would be a big hit if you could find a place to rent a trailer full of 4-wheelers. :D
Hm. If you start a fund, I'll make that happen :yes:

LOL Felix. The nearest "real" town is 70 mile by car.

If you can't get it at the Sidnaw Minimart, you don't need it:loco:

One last thing before I fly.
:idea:Remember WARM CLOTHES!!!!!!!!
Day's are going to be Beautiful, night's and mornings are going to be, well , on the very cool side.

Oh, pook!

Ted - I was looking forward to meeting you. But, I totally understand about the puppies taking precedence. :yes:

Missa - I was hoping to catch up with you. Last time I saw you, you were - uh - sleeping on a futon in a billiard room... ;)

Hum... I've forgotten that I had met you before... but I remember the instance you speak of, I'm sure if I could see your face I would remember which one you were.

But any freind of Todd's is a friend of mine. :cheerswine:

Hum... I've forgotten that I had met you before... but I remember the instance you speak of, I'm sure if I could see your face I would remember which one you were.

But any freind of Todd's is a friend of mine. :cheerswine:

I'm the one that looks like Liz. :tongue:

We'll miss you this weekend. I hope you find something fun to do.

I'm out.

Missa!! I'm losing my toe painting buddy at 6Y9!?! Oh...maybe that's ok afterall (although you will be sorely missed) 'cause I just remembered...I have a date with nail polish and Ron H...:cornut: Ready or not, Ron...here I come!

Last edited:
I'm the one that looks like Liz. :tongue:

We'll miss you this weekend. I hope you find something fun to do.

:idea:DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't connect you and your screan name.

So, am I too big for the Yankee??? Now I'm tempted to drive to Detroit to pick up the super Yankee.

Hum, wait a minute... is Cloumbus closer?

Last edited:
Missa!! I'm losing my toe painting buddy at 6Y9!?! Oh...maybe that's ok afterall (although you will be sorely missed) 'cause I just remembered...I have a date with nail polish and Ron H...:cornut: Ready or not, Ron...here I come!

OK, Ron H, why isn't your name on the list of attendees for 6Y9? Remember, in a group of pilots, You can run but you can't hide...forever!!!

OK, Ron H, why isn't your name on the list of attendees for 6Y9? Remember, in a group of pilots, You can run but you can't hide...forever!!!

Im not on the list becuase FEAR!

Ok real reason is $$$ and family commitments. I might still go but I would fly in on Sat morning and leave Sat night. If my wife comes with I would have to leave before dark. She does not want to fly at night.

So what time/day are people planning on arriving at 6Y9?

Rachel works until 10am on Friday, and I hope to have everything ready so she can come to the airport and get in the plane and go which would put us there a little after noon on Friday.

Does anyone else have a time frame set up so far?

Be sure to bring cash -- as Nick and I learned -- there isn't an ATM on every corner.

LOL! IIRC, I was just planning on using my card as credit or debit if I could, and no one took the card, so we drove for about 40 minutes to the next town so we could get cash out of a grocery store ATM.

Jesse speaks the truth.

Looks like a Saturday Day Trip for Bruce and Sue. I can't interest anyone in Mackinac this year.....sigh.

Rachel works until 10am on Friday, and I hope to have everything ready so she can come to the airport and get in the plane and go which would put us there a little after noon on Friday.

I'll be up some time early afternoon. I might stop by the mouth of the Two Hearts River and see if they are catching any fish. Then fly along Rictured Rocks before heading to Sidnaw.

Barb

What will the Sunday plans be?

I will be up Saturday afternoon and am planning on spending the night.

BTW is there any chance that instead of me hauling the tent for one night that I can camp out in the pilot lounge/FBO on the couch or is that already taken?

I get in to MKE at 11:48 CST I suspect we will leave MKE for 6Y9er at 12:30 CST which is 1:30 Sidnaw time thus I'll be there about 3pm Sindaw time or 2 CST.

I get in to MKE at 11:48 CST I suspect we will leave MKE for 6Y9er at 12:30 CST which is 1:30 Sidnaw time thus I'll be there about 3pm Sindaw time or 2 CST.

Man I had to take off both shoes to keep up with that math!

Last edited:
I figure we'll be there about 2 hours after we leave Madison. Hopefully we'll get there around 6:30 - 7pm ish.

As soon as possible, if I have my way.

We'll probably be up there early afternoon. We are thinking of stopping somewhere for lunch on the way up. Maybe Friar Tucks (Oshkosh) or Final Approach (Sheboygan)?

And Bruce, Leslie and I are interested in Mackinac. In fact, we're doing it the weekend after Sidnaw!

I hope you all have a GREAT time! Looking forward to hearing all about it, and seeing your photos. :yes:

Back