2003 Cirrus SR22 vs 2000 Mooney M20R Ovation 2 Honest Comparison

Maybe submit one of these?

13181115.jpg

I can't stop laughing at this!!!! :D:D:D:D

Ya but the mooney will do it on less fuel so the useful load is really more useful.

Chute would be nice, but fly a mooney once it's like driving a vette vs a Malibu ---all push pull rod controls to flight surfaces no cables and pulleys. BUT if the wife says she wants a chute there is no getting around a cirrus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a Mooney M20-TN and my former hangar mate had a Cirrus SR22-T. Both planes are 2008 models. We exchanged rides one day and I brought my wife along when we went up in the Cirrus. Afterwards I asked her what she thought about the Cirrus vs. my Mooney and she said, "The Cirrus is a plane you buy for the wife. The Mooney is a plane you buy for the pilot." I've always thought that sums it up nicely.

I own a Mooney M20-TN and my former hangar mate had a Cirrus SR22-T. Both planes are 2008 models. We exchanged rides one day and I brought my wife along when we went up in the Cirrus. Afterwards I asked her what she thought about the Cirrus vs. my Mooney and she said, "The Cirrus is a plane you buy for the wife. The Mooney is a plane you buy for the pilot." I've always thought that sums it up nicely.

And which was faster? Had better range? How big a load difference at same fuel?

I believe both have essentially the same engine...

Brave internet troll bullies are fun to watch aren't they? ;)

James was responding to an internet troll which was fair game.

The reason I ask about experience is it should have influence on what you're buying.

I get what you are writing and I understand fully. I have never flown a Mooney before, I have only flown a Cessna 172 and a Piper Archer They really are slow especially with a headwind. So from what I read in the specs Cirrus and Mooneys are much faster so it sparked an interest to fly them. I scheduled to fly a Cirrus through my flight school with an instructor but I can't do that with a Mooney because most flight schools don't have them on this side of Florida and I don't know any Mooney people so I got on Mooney Space to see if I can pay my fair share to "bum" a ride. A Mooney Ovation is a sexy bird in my opinion and I will fly one but I'm going to have to start from the bottom which I'm okay to do. I'm not experienced enough to tame the flying dragon but I'm getting there.

Meh all planes are great. It just depends whatcha want. Both are fine in my book.

Yeah except that isn't true. Sure all planes are tradeoffs, but they aren't all equally good.

One of the MSC's is at my home field here in Illinois. One of you Mooney drivers need to come over for service so we can go flying.

Cirrus for wife mooney for pilot.....quote of the year! It's true. Sure that larger cabin on the cirrus would be nice, the 2nd door, the chute etc, but there is nothing like getting in a plane that was designed to satisfy the pilot.

Cirrus for wife mooney for pilot.....quote of the year! It's true. Sure that larger cabin on the cirrus would be nice, the 2nd door, the chute etc, but there is nothing like getting in a plane that was designed to satisfy the pilot.

Buy a new Mooney U or V and get two,doors! They're on the market now. Parts of the fuselage are composite to further reduce drag, although they are not (yet) claiming a speed increase from this.

"The Cirrus is a plane you buy for the wife. The Mooney is a plane you buy for the pilot." I've always thought that sums it up nicely.

Reminds me of a related automotive comparison: Rolls has the Rolls-Royce Owners Club, but Bentley has the Bentley Drivers Club.

How come the wife isn't the pilot? I just met a couple today the wife is a pilot and the man is a business guy, won't touch an airplane. They look like a cute couple, when I see them again I will take a picture they have a plane parked in one of the hangars.

So, I get on Mooneyspace and posted about: "How much can your Mooney carry with full fuel" and I got grilled. I made the mistake of asking the question because I didn't know tanks vary within models so a person with a 100 gallon tank is going to have a lower useful than say a person with a 50 gallon tank....makes sense. I have never heard of a single engine airplane with a 100 gallon total before in my limited knowledge, (50 on each side). After that I updated my profile and they have been great after that, I even got offered rides which I will take them up on it after the holidays. Only flying this holiday season I have going on is this Saturday I'm going up in a Cirrus SR22 which I had scheduled for quite sometime. So the debate continues Cirrus SR22 or Mooney Ovation 2. I will take some photos and give an honest assessment on Saturday night of the Cirrus....Thanks to all who commented!

I bet fuel is part of that useful load.....:confused:

It is, but I can get somewhere faster than most singles. It's always a trade-off that is what makes things interesting.

You need to read about Piper Saratoga. 107g total capacity.

You are right, I need to read up on it, how heavy is the fuel when it's at the tabs?

No offense, but as a CFI I find that attitude ignorant. Hope you're not serious and just joking.
And I really hope it is YOU that is joking...(or should I say, "also joking")

Last edited:
You are going to like the extra 30 knots speed of the Mooney for those longer trips.

More like 10-12 knots. Not enough to matter on short trips, but cuts a little time off of long trips.

So, I get on Mooneyspace and posted about: "How much can your Mooney carry with full fuel" and I got grilled.

It's a useful thing to know, but some planes can carry so much fuel that they only have enough payload left for a small lightweight pilot. How often will you really be able to fly 6-8 hours with four people with no one needing to stop for a bathroom break? Of course once you've loaded it up with people and luggage it can't carry a full load of fuel and still be in W&B.

Fortunately with just you and your wife you guys should be able to carry quite a bit of fuel in either of these planes, short of carrying a large amount of luggage. We tend to fly 2:30-3 hour legs. We've flown 4 hr legs, but that's a long time to sit in the seat. Look at how long you'll fly without stopping, realistically, and estimate the fuel needed plus reserves and see what payload that leaves remaining.

As an example, the SR22 I was flying a year ago it had 624 lbs of payload with full fuel. That left us ~75 lbs for luggage with the four of us in the plane. But, if we only had the tanks to tabs (47 gal instead of 81 gal) we would have 204 lbs more payload, or 828 lbs of payload before we got in it. With 47 gals I could fly ~3 hours and still have reserves, which is about 480 nm (winds, climb time, and such could make it less).

Big tanks means you can put in a lot of fuel if you aren't carrying a lot of people or luggage, but you can carry less if you need to carry more people or stuff. It's flexibility. What's important is how much fuel can you carry after you put in your normal, or even heavy, load? Can you carry enough fuel to go far enough?

For two people and luggage either of these models should work.

More like 10-12 knots. Not enough to matter on short trips, but cuts a little time off of long trips.

What are you basing that on? What model comparison?

That's reasonable, I would say more like 15-20, kts difference at same fuel flow. I've been in a Cirrus going 165 at around 14 gph and an Ovation over 180 at about the same flow...

So, I get on Mooneyspace and posted about: "How much can your carry with full fuel" and I got grilled.
You could have posted 'I like apples' and you would have received the same reception. It's a tribal ritual, nothing personal.

You could have posted 'I like apples' and you would have received the same reception. It's a tribal ritual, nothing personal.

Excuse me he received a great reception. And I was the first one to respond telling him he asked the wrong question - which he did.

He asked "what is payload with full fuel". Not understanding that that question penalizes airplanes with big tanks that give you more range flexibility. Later it came out that he didn't initially appreciate that not all 4 place planes have ~60 gallon tanks.

I politely explained that what he was trying to get at is how far you can carry a given load, which is a function of useful load, and fuel economy, which itself is a function of speed at what fuel burn.

Some Mooneys have a 950 useful load with 130 gal long range tanks. You do the math and ask yourself how often they get filled.

Unlike half the time on POA, I think it was a valuable adult discussion ;)

6lbs per gallon for 100LL

Back