2003 Cirrus SR22 vs 2000 Mooney M20R Ovation 2 Honest Comparison

[begin derailment]
I've read most of this thread partly because I love learning about all of the different airframes out there and real life experiences of their owners. I do roll my eyes at how most threads here turn out (albeit not as bad as the ahem red board). You can make a point and still be respectful; many choose not to be so. Others, like yourself, and myself, and even more seasoned guys, are always eager to learn and enjoy gleaning from the experiences of others, and I respect your post above in that light.

That said, 6 lbs/100LL gallon is knowledge that you MUST have at the top of your head! Rhetorically, how do you do your W&B? Honestly, I hate hate hate piling on here - and I never do this - but this is pre-solo stuff, my friend...a point being, it makes some of us wonder what other critical knowledge that you need to know off the top of your head simply just to stay alive when the ish hits the fan. On that note, many of the critical/chest-thumping/seemingly harsh responses are occasionally well-intentioned, simply because we don't want to read another preventable accident report on one of our own. I try stay humble (well as humble as pilots can be) and I guarantee you mine and some others' responses here are not intended to inflate our own egos but to help, as hard as it may come across. Thanks for understanding.
[carry on]

Thank you for your post!

Well noted when fueling and planning I should know You are right. On a normal day I fly the Cessna 172 Skyhawk SP and the Piper Archer. I either go up by myself or with an instructor to watch what I'm doing, I have a flight planner at the fbo which helps us calculate W&B and fuel. We always take off with fuel at the tabs and with 895 useful in the 172 there's no way we go over that with two people and no baggage. Especially if we are just flying around Florida.

Now with other Aircraft like the Cirrus and Mooney I realize that it's going to be more planning with Fuel and distance and I'm aware of that. I'm going up in the Cirrus on Saturday with a Cirrus person so I will learn what is expected and then I will go up with a Mooney person sometime in January. I'm not purchasing a plane tomorrow, I'm just setting up the groundwork and what I need to learn to get there and I WILL get there.

I will listen to people that are tactful and respectful because I give that same respect so I demand it in return, it's not too much to ask.

FP

Agreed. One of the reasons I was disappointed to not make it to Oshkosh this year was missing out on checking out all the planes that are in the range of our "next plane".

Funny you say that. I just purchased my plane tickets for OSH I'm excited, never been.

Thank you for your post!

Well noted when fueling and planning I should know You are right. On a normal day I fly the Cessna 172 Skyhawk SP and the Piper Archer. I either go up by myself or with an instructor to watch what I'm doing, I have a flight planner at the fbo which helps us calculate W&B and fuel. We always take off with fuel at the tabs and with 895 useful in the 172 there's no way we go over that with two people and no baggage. Especially if we are just flying around Florida.

Now with other Aircraft like the Cirrus and Mooney I realize that it's going to be more planning with Fuel and distance and I'm aware of that. I'm going up in the Cirrus on Saturday with a Cirrus person so I will learn what is expected and then I will go up with a Mooney person sometime in January. I'm not purchasing a plane tomorrow, I'm just setting up the groundwork and what I need to learn to get there and I WILL get there.

I will listen to people that are tactful and respectful because I give that same respect so I demand it in return, it's not too much to ask.

FP

Its easy to get lazy with W&B. I've been doing it as well. I know what my full fuel useful load is, know what my weight is, and as long as my (normally one) passenger is under 450+ pounds, I'm good. But this is a dangerous thing, especially for summer days out of a shorter airport with trees on either end. I'm getting back to doing the math for every flight. Its like checklists (see other threads... lol), don't get lazy and go by memory. Good chance you'll miss something.

In regards to MX, can a run of the mill A&P make repairs to the composite bits, or is one forced to use a Cirrus service center? I imagine finding a mechanic to work on composite is quite a feat, but will get easier as more composite aircraft hit the flight line.

I'm the one that made that post and I didn't call anyone a hater!

And presented many of the facts. So I'd appreciate if schoolyard words like hater are not used.

I was making fun of a post that said "just get x, trust me"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mooney gear actuator suggested O/H period is 1000hrs, aprox. $2K, the gear pucks replacement about every 20 years, less with heavier models, $1.5K. So at 100 hours/year, that's $5.5K in 20 years, or $275/year. I did my actuator at 1700 hours when the emergency gear extension broke. There is a possibility of failure that would prevent gear extension, so if you go past recommended service period it could come back to bite you.

I'm the one that made that post and I didn't call anyone a hater!

And presented many of the facts. So I'd appreciate if schoolyard words like hater are not used.

I was making fun of a post that said "just get x, trust me"

Ok. In an effort to be nice: I'm Sorry

Its easy to get lazy with W&B. I've been doing it as well. I know what my full fuel useful load is, know what my weight is, and as long as my (normally one) passenger is under 450+ pounds, I'm good. But this is a dangerous thing, especially for summer days out of a shorter airport with trees on either end. I'm getting back to doing the math for every flight. Its like checklists (see other threads... lol), don't get lazy and go by memory. Good chance you'll miss something.

When I bought my plane, I make a W&B spreadsheet with every loading scheme I could think of. Then I figured the numbers on each if them and filled in the table. I out fuel for each load in 10-gallon increments, from 10 to 50 gallons (capacity is 52; ten is the Golden Hour reserve plus a gallon for easy figuring). That table lives in the plane for reference if I'm ever worried.

Solo, two adults, three adults, four adults (at 120 and 200 lbs, mixed front & back but always with my 200 up front). Then solo with bags in back seat, or in baggage, added people, mixed / increased bags, etc. It was a fun afternoon made possible by the other spreadsheet I found online to figure the W&B for me, I just had to correct the arms, change loading (front seat, back seat, baggage area, fuel) and see what came out. Some of them are out of range,so I colored those cells red for the printout; having them there is a good reminder for me. I even look at the sheet every now and then. At the time, I was based on a 3000' field with trees at both ends; now I'm based at a 3200' field with mostly-open approached both ways.

Keep it Simple, Stupid! If I'm worried or not sure, look at the chart--if it's close, recalculate.

If you buy a 20R sitting for several years plan on overhauling the engine after about 400 hrs if not before.

Thanks for the post!

What else would I have to watch out for if an airplane has been sitting this long?

Plane has been bent twice. Once with a bounced landing and prop strike in 2002, the second time with a gear collapse in 2004. The engine is getting there with 1647 and 12 years since major overhaul. Until a couple of years ago, many of the Conti engines had TBOs of 1700hrs or 12 years. Since then, the allowable hours have increased to 2000 if some conditions are met. Of course that is just a guideline in part 91 operation, still if you purchase this plane you also want to have 40k in a bank account ready to pay for the overhaul when it becomes necessary.

Fuel tank shouldn't need reseals until 25 years or so of age. Cirrus hasn't been around that long so not sure what suprises their might be.

Our flying club in Rochester bought a 2006 cirrus mainly due to the chute. Some of us were pushing for a 2000 ovation. The cirrus hands down cost double due to higher insurance premiums, then electronics and just general up keep. I can't remember all the issues but it's always something like a cabin light flickering or a door seal.

I think trying to compare the retract vs fixed gear expense is peanuts compared to the items that actually rack up the $$$.

Now with that said I know darn well when we have kids my wife will be after me to fly them in a plane with a chute.

I think if you fly the mooney you will be sold. A mooney is for the pilot a cirrus is for the pax. The difficulty is when riding with others you only get to evaluate being a pax.

Besides for me, if the gear don't come up it's a toy ;)

From a recent AOPA mag:

30996361391_01533cfdd9_z.jpg

Training wheels, hee hee!

I've got a fair amount of time in both. I've trained Commercial applicants in Mooneys. I like them a lot.

But I always felt ever-so-slightly claustrophobic in them. I did not care for the panel so close, the semi-reclined posture nor the single door. The older ones I flew were quite heavy on the controls, aggravated by the "Positive Control".

All things being equal, I think I'd go Cirrus. But if I could get in a "sports car" frame of mind, the Mooney is a marvelously efficient and classic ride.

From a recent AOPA mag:

30996361391_01533cfdd9_z.jpg

Training wheels, hee hee!

I've got a fair amount of time in both. I've trained Commercial applicants in Mooneys. I like them a lot.

But I always felt ever-so-slightly claustrophobic in them. I did not care for the panel so close, the semi-reclined posture nor the single door. The older ones I flew were quite heavy on the controls, aggravated by the "Positive Control".

All things being equal, I think I'd go Cirrus. But if I could get in a "sports car" frame of mind, the Mooney is a marvelously efficient and classic ride.

Going up in a Cirrus on Saturday so I will give my full and fair perspective. I'm a little uneasy about spending extra money "Just because" (For example the CAPS). I have to budget 1,000+/year..."just because I have to replace the CAPS in 10 years" and I don't like that. Replacing something that was never touched in the first place doesn't seem right to me. I would be happy to see Cirrus replace the CAPS technology with something that doesn't need to be replaced every ten years. I had some bottle rockets that I found in my moms garage that I had when I was a kid (Over 20 years ago) I lit them and they fired right up no problem why on earth do I have to replace something that already works? That just doesn't make sense to me. I hear The SR22 is an amazing airplane and I will give it a fair shot. I actually like what the CAPS system is doing for added safety and according to COPA CAPS has saved 71 people which is always a good thing. An Engine out on takeoff and your life is in danger if you have a Cirrus or not but it's good to know that you have CAPS to save your life and possibly your families life just in case. Piston Engines fail, (If you want to believe it or not). We will see, I'm excited!

Also to be fair re: accident rates, I bet that folks with CAPS take more risks like over water, night flight, etc.

We got seat belts and air bags in cars, how did we in aggregate react? We drive faster.

So yes CAPS gives you utility, but be aware of eating into the safety margin it gives you with riskier flying.

Someone once told me, if you want to build a really safe car, line the dash with daggers pointing at the driver....

Going up in a Cirrus on Saturday so I will give my full and fair perspective. I'm a little uneasy about spending extra money "Just because" (For example the CAPS). I have to budget 1,000+/year..."just because I have to replace the CAPS in 10 years" and I don't like that. Replacing something that was never touched in the first place doesn't seem right to me. I would be happy to see Cirrus replace the CAPS technology with something that doesn't need to be replaced every ten years. I had some bottle rockets that I found in my moms garage that I had when I was a kid (Over 20 years ago) I lit them and they fired right up no problem why on earth do I have to replace something that already works? That just doesn't make sense to me. I hear The SR22 is an amazing airplane and I will give it a fair shot. I actually like what the CAPS system is doing for added safety and according to COPA CAPS has saved 71 people which is always a good thing. An Engine out on takeoff and your life is in danger if you have a Cirrus or not but it's good to know that you have CAPS to save your life and possibly your families life just in case. Piston Engines fail, (If you want to believe it or not). We will see, I'm excited!

Enjoy the flight! And It's a little more than 1000 a year. Most repacks these days are going for about 15k. When I bought my SR20 and SR22 both repacks were done so it's easy to forget about it but it's definitely and expense. Not sure that I would count on the 10 year clock going away but you never know.

I agree with GSengle and you should not do anything in a SR22 that you would not do in a non-chute equipped plane. Bottom line if it's not safe - having CAPS doesn't make it ok. Flying at night is something I do all the time and I did do so in non chute equipped planes but would not fly over the ocean at night - caps or no caps :)

Also to be fair re: accident rates, I bet that folks with CAPS take more risks like over water, night flight, etc.

We got seat belts and air bags in cars, how did we in aggregate react? We drive faster.

So yes CAPS gives you utility, but be aware of eating into the safety margin it gives you with riskier flying.

Someone once told me, if you want to build a really safe car, line the dash with daggers pointing at the driver....

When I drive a car, I go maybe a little bit over the speed limit (5 over) and I'm very cautious on the road. I have taken defensive driving courses to lower my Auto insurance in New York, (At the time it was 3200\yr). This result I have, (Knock on wood) never been in an auto accident. I have respect for the road and the people that are on it even if people do dumb things on the road. I feel the same way about airplanes, load and the weather. If I had CAPS I would forget that I have it, CAPS will be used if I think I can't make it to the runway to land...which can happen. That is why I'm upset that it's over 10k to replace something that wasn't broken in the first place.

Enjoy the flight! And It's a little more than 1000 a year. Most repacks these days are going for about 15k. When I bought my SR20 and SR22 both repacks were done so it's easy to forget about it but it's definitely and expense. Not sure that I would count on the 10 year clock going away but you never know.

I agree with GSengle and you should not do anything in a SR22 that you would not do in a non-chute equipped plane. Bottom line if it's not safe - having CAPS doesn't make it ok. Flying at night is something I do all the time and I did do so in non chute equipped planes but would not fly over the ocean at night - caps or no caps :)

I'm pretty much a forward thinker. If it costs 15k now how much would it cost 10 years from now 20k or more? I'm going to keep my plane for as long as I can fly so I would like to use those funds for future toys and/or repairs. so you are right I would have to save up more for it something like 2,000/year or just pay when its time.

I don't consider chute interval inspection and repack an unwarranted burden. As someone who flies on hotseats for a living I can tell you it is absolutely warranted to inspect the condition of both the firing mechanism and the chute material for weathering damage. Your assertion that you're inspecting something that wasn't broken in the first place assumes facts not in evidence. If you said "I don't agree the nature of the labor and materials amount to a 15K expenditure" then I'd agree with you. But I don't agree the action itself is unwarranted.

You can also sell the plane with the chute repack due and deduct the going rate of having it done from the sale price. There are many ways to deal with big-ticket but infrequent costs of ownership.

My thought is not to get too into the emotional thought process that you are paying money to fix something that isn't broken. First off, it's an airplane. You pay a mechanic to inspect it every year even though it flew fine on the way to annual. You replace the ELT battery every couple of years. You change the oil before it goes bad. Second, it's a preventive task that costs a little bit incrementally to reduce the likelihood of an extremely high cost happening to you. We also keep our planes in hangars even when there isn't a hailstorm and we pay for insurance even though we have no particular plans to make a claim. We have that annual inspection not only because it's the law but also because it helps reduce the chances of having to pull over to the side of the road at 10,000 feet.

The chute repack is a cost of owning a Cirrus, full stop. Keep your heart out of that and make the decision that's rationally best for your mission and budget. (Get your heart into how the planes fly, for sure. Just not into the costs of flying them. Costs are numbers and should be treated as such.) If the best fit turns out to be the Cirrus, then that's awesome and you can avoid being upset over the chute repack because you know that you took it into account when deciding that the Cirrus is the best plane for your family.

I for one envy that your mission and budget give you the choice between an awesome airplane made 13 years ago and an awesome airplane made 16 years ago. Whatever you do, don't let the annual operating costs of either plane make you forget that you're one fortunate guy.

You can also sell the plane with the chute repack due and deduct the going rate of having it done from the sale price. There are many ways to deal with big-ticket but infrequent costs of ownership.

My thought is not to get too into the emotional thought process that you are paying money to fix something that isn't broken. First off, it's an airplane. You pay a mechanic to inspect it every year even though it flew fine on the way to annual. You replace the ELT battery every couple of years. You change the oil before it goes bad. Second, it's a preventive task that costs a little bit incrementally to reduce the likelihood of an extremely high cost happening to you. We also keep our planes in hangars even when there isn't a hailstorm and we pay for insurance even though we have no particular plans to make a claim. We have that annual inspection not only because it's the law but also because it helps reduce the chances of having to pull over to the side of the road at 10,000 feet.

The chute repack is a cost of owning a Cirrus, full stop. Keep your heart out of that and make the decision that's rationally best for your mission and budget. (Get your heart into how the planes fly, for sure. Just not into the costs of flying them. Costs are numbers and should be treated as such.) If the best fit turns out to be the Cirrus, then that's awesome and you can avoid being upset over the chute repack because you know that you took it into account when deciding that the Cirrus is the best plane for your family.

I for one envy that your mission and budget give you the choice between an awesome airplane made 13 years ago and an awesome airplane made 16 years ago. Whatever you do, don't let the annual operating costs of either plane make you forget that you're one fortunate guy.

You are right and thank you!

I believe that we all are fortunate in "one way shape or form" I may not be fortunate in a place that you are!

I believe that we all are fortunate in "one way shape or form" I may not be fortunate in a place that you are!
Darn right. I have precisely zero stress over choosing between an Ovation and an SR22, which is extremely fortunate for me! :)

Yes we are all fortunate to be flying and owning planes. Mooney's, Cirrus, Cessna - I am just grateful I am in the game.

If $1200/year is money, neither a Cirrus nor a any other aircraft with a Conti big bore are right for you.

If $1200/year is money, neither a Cirrus nor a any other aircraft with a Conti big bore are right for you.

I assume you're missing a 0 on there...

If spending 1200 more or less is a factor.

Ah - I see. I was getting this thread mixed up with the other Mooney one where the OP said his yearly budget was around 13K. Oops!

Nothing emotional about it, airplanes are a financial liability so I want to make sure I know EXACTLY how much money is going out.

That is inaccurate, I have a maintenance budget which will cover it. My gripe is the chute repack on top of that!

Nothing emotional about it, airplanes are a financial liability so I want to make sure I know EXACTLY how much money is going out.
That is inaccurate, I have a maintenance budget which will cover it. My gripe is the chute repack on top of that!
No worries.....goings out will always be more than planned. :D

There is no accurate year to year maintenance budget with an aircraft.

With both of the aircraft you mentioned, if you fly 100hrs/year, over a period of 10 years you are going to spend between $180,000 and $300,000 on your flying hobby. The repack is going to be lost in the noise. If you dont want to deal with it, buy a plane that had it done recently and dont worry about it.

My first year in cirrus i flew 340 hours and spent very little. Second year - my annual was about 4500. I have a real good mechanic that has taken the Cirrus class in Vegas and very reasonable.

My first year in cirrus i flew 340 hours and spent very little. Second year - my annual was about 4500. I have a real good mechanic that has taken the Cirrus class in Vegas and very reasonable.

Do you think 4500 is below average for Cirrus Airplanes?

Do you think 4500 is below average for Cirrus Airplanes?

I'd say it's about average from my years of reading on COPA. I have many friends who own Cirrus and that seems to be about close. The biggest thing is making sure you get a very thorough pre-buy. If you are looking for an older model then there are things that tend to go in a Cirrus that you want to make sure have been replaced. Something to look for on older models: MCU/SIU - have they been rebuilt, the plates by the front landing gear (forget what its called) that's about 5K, Starter and starter adapter - you want the Energizer.. but you read COPA so you will see some of the common things to watch for. When I bought mine all of the "biggies" were pretty much taken care of but I needed to do line cutters on my last one and that bumped up the price.

Many on this board are not a fan of Savvy but I used them for 3 pre-buys and 1 year of Cirrus ownership and they were extremely helpful and very much worth the investment. You may consider them if you go the Cirrus route.

I am adding the Berringer brake kit to mine the dual chamber. Not necessary but i've flown a 22 with berringer brakes and they rock. That's gonna run me just under 10K.

I'd say it's about average from my years of reading on COPA. I have many friends who own Cirrus and that seems to be about close. The biggest thing is making sure you get a very thorough pre-buy. If you are looking for an older model then there are things that tend to go in a Cirrus that you want to make sure have been replaced. Something to look for on older models: MCU/SIU - have they been rebuilt, the plates by the front landing gear (forget what its called) that's about 5K, Starter and starter adapter - you want the Energizer.. but you read COPA so you will see some of the common things to watch for. When I bought mine all of the "biggies" were pretty much taken care of but I needed to do line cutters on my last one and that bumped up the price.

Many on this board are not a fan of Savvy but I used them for 3 pre-buys and 1 year of Cirrus ownership and they were extremely helpful and very much worth the investment. You may consider them if you go the Cirrus route.

Why do you say that? What is wrong with Savvy?

I can finally say that I have been up in a Cirrus SR22. I went up with an instructor who was great. The flight school normally rents out the airplane. So now I understand why people want to purchase instead of rent. Whomever I suggested to rent...I'm sorry, like renting a used car from a rental agency people don't normally take care of it once in possession of the plane so for that I apologize go out and get your own plane. So anyway I checked the oil and it only had 4 quarts in the engine and what I noticed right away was the oil was BLACK...like midnight without any lights Black. I knew right away that the airplane needed oil and not only that an oil change so without much gripe we put oil in, (At LEAST 6 quarts are needed) we did a COMPLETE pre flight check. We also noticed that the wheel fairing was gone but maintenance is currently working on it. The CFI told me that someone spun out the Cirrus after a landing.....Geez again did I say buy our own plane if you can? I would like to add none of what I found affected The SR22 any.

20161210_090233.jpg

When opening the doors you press the button and lift the door up similar to opening Lamborghini doors. Getting in the plane was the easiest that I have had in General Aviation so far you somewhat "fall in" and sit down, the seating is really comfortable and great for long trips you can move the seat forward and backward which is common. You can also move the back support part up and down as well which was awesome.

20161210_095333.jpg 20161210_095751.jpg

The shoulder harness really keeps you in the seat. I must've had it too tight because I felt myself struggling to slightly get off the seat a little to look for traffic. I will loosen up the belt a little next time. The doors close very well with little effort but I did have some trouble opening the door. There is a little black tab that you have to really give it a pull to get the door open but these are just minor inconveniences to what this bird can do.

After the run up we get cleared and you take off with 50% flaps. The SR22 is NOT under-powered at all it gets to 70 knots to rotate VERY quickly that 550 really moves the bird. You can also take off and land with the A/C on although it was cold here I didn't have the need to use it. The A/C is an added blessing especially here in Florida.

Another great thing about the Cirrus is the Autopilot off and the trim button on the yoke. In the Cessna 172 and Piper Archer the trim wheel is on the right side either on the panel or next to the flaps bar, (Piper). The Side Yoke was a little different but not hard at all to get use to. I normally fly with one hand on the yoke anyway so the transition was pretty smooth. I also noticed how sensitive the controls are compared to the Piper and Cessna very little effort is needed to turn the airplane.

20161210_095754.jpg

Did I say this plane was FAST!! I was getting ground speeds of over 170kts with a tailwind and it felt very smooth to do so.
20161210_103755.jpg

The Autopilot was amazing as well. You can set the altitude, heading and you can adjust your direction by turning the HDG button left or right without touching the yoke. There was a myth in POA that the Cirrus is difficult to slow down. That is not true at all reducing power and slightly increasing altitude slows the plane down pretty quickly.

20161210_095741.jpg

My final take:

The Cirrus SR22 like most mentioned is an amazing airplane but you can have a sense of being a pilot when you are really not. You can preset your destination, You can take off, set the altitude and the heading press the autopilot and just watch for traffic and it will fly better than the average person without trimming, straight on the magenta line in my opinion that takes away from REAL flying. Sure, you can learn how to fly in a Cirrus and hopefully your CFI will give you a concrete flying foundation to draw from, (No button pressing until after you learn how to fly). The Cirrus...in my opinion lacks the feel of flying and this is hard to explain. I don't feel what the airplane is about to do until it's done it already. It might be because I'm not use to the extra speed because lets face it it's twice as fast as a Cessna 172 you can't tell if you are going 100 kts or 178 kts. The Cirrus is a great airplane to get somewhere if I wanted to go from here to Key West, (235 nm) it's a little over an hour depending on the winds but it does lack IMO flying feel so TRUE pilots would be a little disappointed. Family airplane that would get the spouse and son/daughter somewhere....you bet. So that is my perspective with my limited flight experience.

Now go fly a Mooney. My old, 180-hp Mooney burns 9 gph at 148 KTAS AT 23"/2300; the Cirrus was burning 15 gph at that same power setting, making 179 Knots counting the tailwind. An Ovation will blow my doors off burning 11-12gph . . .

Last edited:
Yep....that's almost exactly what I though of the cirrus too. Over on. Mooney space a 777 pilot w/19,000 hours just bought a personal plane......guess what he bought? A brand new mooney twin turbo acclaim. Truly a pilots plane but if you need a minivan a cirrus is the next best thing....

Back