2003 Cirrus SR22 vs 2000 Mooney M20R Ovation 2 Honest Comparison

How many hours past the last oil change was this bird ? Either it burns oil, or it is far beyond the recommended hours.

Glad you enjoyed the flight.

You can also take off and land with the A/C on although it was cold here I didn't have the need to use it.

I was pretty sure that was wrong, but I just pulled up a G5 POH and it's now correct, with the caveat that you adjust performance calculations accordingly.

Learn something every day!

Yep....that's almost exactly what I though of the cirrus too. Over on. Mooney space a 777 pilot w/19,000 hours just bought a personal plane......guess what he bought? A brand new mooney twin turbo acclaim. Truly a pilots plane but if you need a minivan a cirrus is the next best thing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't call a Cirrus a minivan, it's a very fast bird. I would call the SR22 a Volvo...maybe?

How many hours past the last oil change was this bird ? Either it burns oil, or it is far beyond the recommended hours.

Might've been but unfortunately I don't have an answer, I just rented it from a flight school. The CFI did tell me that it burned oil. When that happens is it because it's past TBO?

Glad you enjoyed the flight.

I was pretty sure that was wrong, but I just pulled up a G5 POH and it's now correct, with the caveat that you adjust performance calculations accordingly.

Learn something every day!

I enjoyed flying the Cirrus and it's a great airplane, despite what some people say. It fits a need as a transportation flying machine and it's fast. It's good for taking the wife and kid somewhere for the weekend! I would get one, but I don't think I'm personally ready yet to just be a button pusher. I want to be a pilot for a few years first to build a strong enough flying foundation then I will revisit.

Any plane can burn some amount of oil, doesn't have to be at TBO. Excessive burn indicates a problem.

Oil turns black and that is normal. Doesn't mean it has to be changed yet, you do that based on number of hours.

Finally, even a Mooney can be a "button pushing" airplane. Trust me when you're going 5 hours in a straight line somewhere you're not going to hand fly that.

But when you do hand fly the Mooney, I find it to be really nice.

Might've been but unfortunately I don't have an answer, I just rented it from a flight school. The CFI did tell me that it burned oil. When that happens is it because it's past TBO?

Maybe. Not every engine that burns oil is past TBO and not every engine past TBO burns oil.

- cylinder wear
- broken piston ring
- stuck piston ring
- worn valve guide / defective valve stem seal
- oil leak

Next up is flying a Mooney! This is going to be a little bit tough because I don't know anyone personally who has one. Nor do I know what their flight experience is like. The guy I went up with yesterday was a retired Air Force pilot and CFI I just recently met and I trust him because he showed me his log book. So I will eventually find someone with an Ovation and go up with them. It will be different for me because I will probably fly in the right seat, I have NEVER sat in the right seat yet so that will be different.

Today, I'm going to meet up with someone with a Champ and I will work on getting some flight time there, (Maybe 20-30 hours). After that some Glider time which I think Gliders are cool!

until next time!

Remember, any long body Mooney will handle almost the same, and give you a sense of the performance... Bravo, Ovation and Acclaim.

I'd take ya up but I'm in MA and it's ten degrees this am :p

Remember, any long body Mooney will handle almost the same, and give you a sense of the performance... Bravo, Ovation and Acclaim.

I'd take ya up but I'm in MA and it's ten degrees this am :p

Hey man! it's no problem. The pilot community is large, yet small at the same time. We will cross paths sometime in the future I'm sure :)

OP, are you a Private Pilot or still a student? Just curious.

Next up is flying a Mooney! This is going to be a little bit tough because I don't know anyone personally who has one. Nor do I know what their flight experience is like.

I'd love to take you up in my Acclaim but it's in Colorado and I'm in Mexico. :)

Post on MooneySpace that you're looking for an Ovation demo ride in your location. I'm sure someone will step forward to make it happen.

My Acclaim is definitely a "button-pushing" airplane because it's designed to go places... FAST... and in all weather. I would have hated to have hand flown some of the recent trips I've made in the plane across the western U.S. in some serious weather and turbulence. That's why I bought my RV-8... for those times I want some good ol' stick-and-rudder flying!

Good luck and I can't wait to hear your Mooney PIREP.

OP, are you a Private Pilot or still a student? Just curious.

I'm NOT going down that highway with you again scroll up.

I'd love to take you up in my Acclaim but it's in Colorado and I'm in Mexico. :)

Post on MooneySpace that you're looking for an Ovation demo ride in your location. I'm sure someone will step forward to make it happen.

My Acclaim is definitely a "button-pushing" airplane because it's designed to go places... FAST... and in all weather. I would have hated to have hand flown some of the recent trips I've made in the plane across the western U.S. in some serious weather and turbulence. That's why I bought my RV-8... for those times I want some good ol' stick-and-rudder flying!

Good luck and I can't wait to hear your Mooney PIREP.

I get it, and there is nothing wrong with "button pushing" in fact I would like to do it as well for long trips. The problem with me is I haven't built the flying experience I want yet for the "privilege" suppose the computers stop working and all you have left is flying skill? I'm new and I want to fly ALL TYPES of aircraft first before doing so. That is why I want to try a tail dragger, glider, float plane and down the road a Turbo Prop.

Acclaim's are awesome and they are starting to become well priced too is the interior different then say an Ovation?

Acclaim's are awesome and they are starting to become well priced too is the interior different then say an Ovation?

The difference between an Acclaim (M20-TN) and an Ovation (M20-R) is mostly under the cowling. Acclaims are turbocharged and intercooled, which requires a little more instrumentation in the panel, while Ovations are naturally aspirated. The interior of all Long Body Mooneys (anything alphabetically beginning with "L") are the same, except for any personalization or updating done by a previous owner. Measurements are all alike.

And the average Ovation, in part because older, is 200k with many good ones with traditional instruments but as much capability a little less, where as a typical Acclaim costs double :-o

Ben a very enthusiastic poster maybe two years ago. Very early in his flying career with very firmly held beliefs on the merits of particular aircraft which he would argue about at length with anyone who didn't agree with him. Iirc he got into an argument with the DPE at his checkride because the DPE didn't perform the checkride to his liking.

Ben a very enthusiastic poster maybe two years ago. Very early in his flying career with very firmly held beliefs on the merits of particular aircraft which he would argue about at length with anyone who didn't agree with him. Iirc he got into an argument with the DPE at his checkride because the DPE didn't perform the checkride to his liking.

Kinda what I think except this one didn't even know how much a gallon, well, you know. Especially when they get defensive and/or blame others for their shortcomings. But hey, now real estate...

How are the seating ergonomics of the long bodies compared to the short and medium bodies M20C/E and F/J? Is it still the same panel in your chin, ass-to-heel floor sitting height, golf bag tunnel footwells? That was my experience in the E model anyways. That would sway me towards the cirrus.

How are the seating ergonomics of the long bodies compared to the short and medium bodies M20C/E and F/J? Is it still the same panel in your chin, ass-to-heel floor sitting height, golf bag tunnel footwells? That was my experience in the E model anyways. That would sway me towards the cirrus.

I've flown in the J, K, R and TN. The seating ergonomics are very similar in all of them. The first thing I noticed when I got checked out in a J back in 1986 was how much closer you sit to the panel than in Cherokees and 172s, and also how much closer to the floor. Neither one bothered me, and they still don't.

I rarely fly my Acclaim on legs less than two hours. It's built to go high, far and fast. Once I level out at my cruise altitude, typically FL180 or higher, I trim the plane for cruise flight, make sure everything is cool with the autopilot and the oxygen system, and then I roll the seat all the way back and enjoy the ride. I'm not tall - 5'8" - so with the seat all the way back I have plenty of legroom and the panel is not in my chin. I don't put the seat back forward again until I'm about 30-50 miles out from my destination and I need to prepare for my approach.

Mooneys aren't for everyone. No airplane is. But they've always worked for me and I love them.

I only have about 700 hours between 20/22/T and it's the most comfortable 700 hours. Nice wide back row with plenty of leg, comfortable seats, XM radio, AC in the summer time, keeping speed up on final isn't an issue, TKS fluid makes IMC in the winter a non issue for the most part, and of course you have the chute.

I only have about 700 hours between 20/22/T and it's the most comfortable 700 hours. Nice wide back row with plenty of leg, comfortable seats, XM radio, AC in the summer time, keeping speed up on final isn't an issue, TKS fluid makes IMC in the winter a non issue for the most part, and of course you have the chute.

Bb..bb..but you are just a minivan driver ;-)

Exactly what I'm thinking , or a troll. :dunno:

The return of the ben.

Kinda what I think except this one didn't even know how much a gallon, well, you know. Especially when they get defensive and/or blame others for their shortcomings. But hey, now real estate...

troll-spray-672x372.jpg

For some reason I think they will be back!!

Back