1st XC in the Cirrus. Learning to trust computers.

So the instructor told you not to look at the fuel gauges?

That seems kinda odd.

If you want to eat the best pizza ever created, fly up to 1K2 sometime and I'll take you. It's a little joint called Bakers Pizza in the small town of Maysville, OK, which also happens to be the childhood home of Wiley Post. We can knock out some slices with Wiley's giant head mural looking down on us in a restaurant with an airplane's tail section sticking out of the roof.

Last edited:
I can't afford a prius. I am squeezing every last mile out of the 2 cars I have now.
both are at 120k and if I can get them to 200, that would be outstanding. If I can get to 150 I will take that

If they are decent, shouldn't be a problem. My son is borrowing my 1999 Jeep Wrangler with nearly 190,000 miles on it. My wife has a 2006 Jeep Commander with about 130,000 miles on it. They are both running just fine. Maintain them (oil changes and other items) and they should run "forever".

I'm a new Cirrus driver too. We have an '05 G2 and I just logged my 20th hour. Our gauges by the throttle quadrant have been very accurate, but one thing I've noticed is that on climbs and descents, if you have 20 gallons or less in the wing, the level drops drastically. It's accurrate in level flight and on the ground, but one gauge suddenly showed empty on short final, then corrected to 10 gallons after coming to a stop off the runway.

I don't worry about it too much because the gauges in my arrow were even worse. And when you add up all the massive advantages to flying a technically advanced plane like the cirrus, it's worth it. The trip screen on the MFD is pretty good about showing the estimated remaining fuel at your destination. I'm still in love with new plane as I'm sure you are too!

Ok, maybe this is overthinking it, but I like knowing _exactly_ what's in my tanks and it's something to do in cruise. Since burn rates can vary based on altitude or mixture setting, calculating how much time you'll need to spend on a tank and setting a countdown timer gives you a more accurate picture of what's in the tank.
Just a suggestion, the only way to really know how much is left in a given tank is to have none. There's a strong argument for putting your leftover fuel into fewer tanks rather than spreading around minute amounts. The way you do this is to run a tank dry before moving on to the next one.

in the travel air i always run the aux's to starvation. You can't see the lower ~1/2 of the volume so errors accumulate over time if you don't start from a known point. My known point is zero.

So the instructor told you not to look at the fuel gauges?

That seems kinda odd.

He doesn't want me ignoring fuel. He wants me to use this instead of the analog fuel gauges

entegra_03.jpg

Back