19 Year Old Woman Begins Attempt Of Solo Around The World Flight

I think Millennials is now just a catch-all term for anyone in their late teens early 20's that have an apparent lack of drive or work ethic and only live to complain, and doesn't have anything to do with when they were born. Until recently I thought millenials were those born around the year 2000. I didn't know they were Gen Y.

And David, you're reading way too much into things and come across as one of those people who like to be offended on behalf of other people.

The comments on the financing that is required for this flight are interesting, especially when pilots compare her to Amelia Earhart.

Amelia had the classic sugar daddy to buy her anything she wanted, and the political connections to even have a Navy destroyer moved to the needed place in the Pacific to provide a NDB for her navigator to use to find her next fuel stop. Granted, Amelia had much more difficult navigation challenges than exist today, which were the primary reason she failed.

We can sincerely hope that the present attempt is successful, and brings out some more interest in obtaining a pilots certificate.

I agree and hope she is successful too. No matter the few naysayers here, this is quite an adventure for a nineteen year old!

Flying on instruments is like a video game
I can directly attest to this. I didn't get to fly much when I was younger ($$) but I spent an absurd amount of time on various iterations of flight sim. Legit flights, not just playing around. Instrument flying came naturally to me, BUT, I was constantly getting yelled at in my PPL training for not looking outside enough.. at some point my CFI got in the habit of hanging a blanket over the panel

I can directly attest to this. I didn't get to fly much when I was younger ($$) but I spent an absurd amount of time on various iterations of flight sim. Legit flights, not just playing around. Instrument flying came naturally to me, BUT, I was constantly getting yelled at in my PPL training for not looking outside enough.. at some point my CFI got in the habit of hanging a blanket over the panel
Me too. I also contributed (a lot of) code to an open-source flight simulator. When I started my IR, one of my instructor's first exercises was to have me name all the instruments in a six-pack for a blank diagram with just circles — it turned out I was the first student who had ever named them all correctly (the exercise was supposed to show me how much there was to learn), because of all the long evenings I'd wasted staring at panel diagrams and designing (virtual) aircraft. :-/

The downside is that it took me longer to acquire skills to handle the aircraft just by looking out the window. That's something I enjoy quite a bit now, but it maybe added 5 hours to my PPL unlearning the flight-simmer's instrument fixation (I got those 5 hours back during my instrument-rating training, where I was comfortable going on instruments from day 1, especially in actual IMC).

She's supposed to be at KFFA this weekend. I live a couple hours from there and haven't flown there yet, geesh, I need to get out more.

upload_2021-8-24_15-53-45.png

She'll have more than 80 hours when she gets back! :)

Millennials is now just a catch-all term for anyone in their late teens early 20's that have an apparent lack of drive or work ethic and only live to complain, and doesn't have anything to do with when they were born
Too true.
The downside is that it took me longer to acquire skills to handle the aircraft just by looking out the window
Same, but I never had trouble keeping heading or altitude :)

FS95 and FS98 had steam a steam gauge 182RG that was my go-to

/*thread creep warning
at some point, I think FSX(?), they introduced a Mooney Bravo.. and for the life of me I couldn't land the thing - even thought it was cool as ****. So I purchased a PA-28-161 all steam add on from someone (??) but it was very well done, a 1976 model I believe with the opening cowls, baggage doors, chocks, tie downs, etc., superbly well done.. so I flew that. I appreciated the PA-28 add on as it had a hobbes that would cycle. It would start at zero, UNLESS, you saved your flight and always went back to the saved flight.. so that's exactly what I did. Flew around the country in that little PA-28 and logged over 200 hrs in it

Then I grew up

But still miss that time
thread creep over*/

Damn millenials and their MSFS hours. ;)

The downside is that it took me longer to acquire skills to handle the aircraft just by looking out the window. That's something I enjoy quite a bit now, but it maybe added 5 hours to my PPL unlearning the flight-simmer's instrument fixation (I got those 5 hours back during my instrument-rating training, where I was comfortable going on instruments from day 1, especially in actual IMC).

I've never designed a flight sim, but spent a lot of hours flying them, and had this exact same concern. One of the reasons I took my primary instruction in a cub. Maybe crazy, but I think if I were ever a CFI, I'd cover the AI for the first 10+ hours. Even in the cub I looked down too much, to the point that the instructor covered ALL of the instruments, except the ball, for several loops of the pattern at one point.

Back to the female pilot topic, when we teach RC flying to kids, we don't use Earhart as a model. Why use someone that failed as a role model? I show a pic of the shell ridden A-10 that Kim Campbell flew back without hydraulics, a ribbon cut from a Patty Wagstaff flight, a pic of an indoor helicopter flight by Hanna Reitsch. For aviation science, I'll toss out Sally Ride on the Rogers Commission. There are female aviation role models other than Earhart.

I think those who denigrate the younger generation are just old and out of touch. I think I interface with young people more than most, and they are amazing. The future is in good hands indeed.

My problem isn’t with young people. It’s with the older generations that have bubble wrapped them and helicopter parented them, shielded them from character building challenges and made it so teens can’t get jobs anymore, so that they reach their twenties with less life experience than kids used to get by age 14. It’s not the kids’ fault. It’s to their credit they turn out well at all.

My problem isn’t with young people. It’s with the older generations that have bubble wrapped them and helicopter parented them, shielded them from character building challenges and made it so teens can’t get jobs anymore, so that they reach their twenties with less life experience than kids used to get by age 14. It’s not the kids’ fault. It’s to their credit they turn out well at all.
You might be overgeneralising from a small number of examples you know. Most 20-somethings I know (through my kids) haven't been bubble wrapped at all — they're carrying crushing student debt, working 2+ service-industry jobs because there's nothing in their field (especially during a pandemic), dealing with health challenges or helping aging parents, struggling to find affordable housing during a real-estate boom, and some of them were already raising kids in their teens. Other than fighting a world war, I can't think of what character-building challenges these kids might have missed out on.

that's some straight magenta line.....pure talent right there.;)

You must be looking at a different image.

I see her heading from Iceland towards Kulusuk to get around a blob of weather and then following the coastline to make the hop to Nasarsuaq.
For todays leg, what did you want her to do ? Add some gratuitous course deviations and squiggles to distract from the fact that Goose Bay is pretty much on the great circle route between Nasarsuaq and Montreal ?

Last edited:
You might be overgeneralising from a small number of examples you know. Most 20-somethings I know (through my kids) haven't been bubble wrapped at all — they're carrying crushing student debt, working 2+ service-industry jobs because there's nothing in their field (especially during a pandemic), dealing with health challenges or helping aging parents, struggling to find affordable housing during a real-estate boom, and some of them were already raising kids in their teens. Other than fighting a world war, I can't think of what character-building challenges these kids might have missed out on.

Other than raising kids in their teens, you’re describing what they’re doing in their 20s, I’m talking about childhood. For example, in past generations we walked to school if you lived too close for the bus. Now they are driven by mom and we have long carpool lines. I walked 3 or 4 blocks to school by myself in the first grade at age 6. Do you know any 6 year olds that are allowed to do that today? I’m not saying that was right, no way I’d let a 6 year walk alone to school. Times have changed, or maybe not but maybe people were naive back then, but it was how it was. Not allowing your kid to independently walk to school deprives them of something. I think it was good for development. But it was at a risk. Playground equipment is so dumbed down now, kids can’t learn how to avoid a broken arm if you don’t hang on to the monkey bars correctly. Again, I’m not saying anything about right or wrong or what should be, I’m just saying what is. You pay a price for more safety and security and that price is the kids are missing out on something. Maybe it’s worth it maybe it’s not.

Well....what are you doing about it? Vote with your feet and pull the lever. You get's what you ask for......hope all is happy. ;)
Other than raising kids in their teens, you’re describing what they’re doing in their 20s, I’m talking about childhood. For example, in past generations we walked to school if you lived too close for the bus. Now they are driven by mom and we have long carpool lines. I walked 3 or 4 blocks to school by myself in the first grade at age 6. Do you know any 6 year olds that are allowed to do that today? I’m not saying that was right, no way I’d let a 6 year walk alone to school. Times have changed, or maybe not but maybe people were naive back then, but it was how it was. Not allowing your kid to independently walk to school deprives them of something. I think it was good for development. But it was at a risk. Playground equipment is so dumbed down now, kids can’t learn how to avoid a broken arm if you don’t hang on to the monkey bars correctly. Again, I’m not saying anything about right or wrong or what should be, I’m just saying what is. You pay a price for more safety and security and that price is the kids are missing out on something. Maybe it’s worth it maybe it’s not.

Other than raising kids in their teens, you’re describing what they’re doing in their 20s, I’m talking about childhood. For example, in past generations we walked to school if you lived too close for the bus. Now they are driven by mom and we have long carpool lines.
That's partly due to suburbanisation and urban sprawl — people live too far from where they need to go and rely on a car to get there, so their children have little choice (they can't easily walk 15 km each way to school, or 8 km each way to visit a friend for an hour, and suburbs often have inadequate or no public transit).

We chose to live in a city core, and none of what you wrote applied to my kids in the 1990s and 2000s. They walked to school, took public transit to see their friends, etc., because we made the choice to live somewhere that they could do that (even though it meant not buying a big house). It's not so much about bubble-wrapping kids as kids suffering from the consequences of their parents' choices about where to live and being forced to be dependent on them to get anywhere.

You must be looking at a different image.

I see her heading from Iceland towards Kulusuk to get around a blob of weather and then following the coastline to make the hop to Nasarsuaq.
For todays leg, what did you want her to do ? Add some gratuitous course deviations and squiggles to distract from the fact that Goose Bay is pretty much on the great circle route between Nasarsuaq and Montreal ?
I'm wondering if there was a loss of satellite coverage for a while, because the line is drawn straight on the map rather than as a slight curve. The map might have just drawn a direct line between two known points that were spaced far apart.

Before the sat coverage stopped, it does look like she had to handle some serious weather, and made some good deviation choices (benefiting from the tailwind riding to the north of a low). The North Atlantic is an unforgiving place for small planes, and she must be glad to have that behind her now.

I'm wondering if there was a loss of satellite coverage for a while, because the line is drawn straight on the map rather than as a slight curve. The map might have just drawn a direct line between two known points that were spaced far apart.

Before the sat coverage stopped, it does look like she had to handle some serious weather, and made some good deviation choices (benefiting from the tailwind riding to the north of a low). The North Atlantic is an unforgiving place for small planes, and she must be glad to have that behind her now.

There is a landing and takeoff in Goose Bay in todays trip.

There is a landing and takeoff in Goose Bay in todays trip.
According to this, she landed in Goose Bay on 23 Aug, took a rest day, then flew on to Montreal/St-Hubert today (25 Aug). That's another reason I suspect the satellite tracking in the map was U/S for a while, and just drew a straight line between Greenland and Montreal (or at least, Goose Bay).

https://flyzolo.com/route/

That's partly due to suburbanisation and urban sprawl — people live too far from where they need to go and rely on a car to get there, so their children have little choice (they can't easily walk 15 km each way to school, or 8 km each way to visit a friend for an hour, and suburbs often have inadequate or no public transit).

We chose to live in a city core, and none of what you wrote applied to my kids in the 1990s and 2000s. They walked to school, took public transit to see their friends, etc., because we made the choice to live somewhere that they could do that (even though it meant not buying a big house). It's not so much about bubble-wrapping kids as kids suffering from the consequences of their parents' choices about where to live and being forced to be dependent on them to get anywhere.

That’s true maybe our different perceptions is due to living in different types of environments.

I grew up in a suburb and walked about a 1/4 mile to the bus stop; when I was as young as first grade. I remember my father telling me not to run away from loose dogs (there were no leash laws). But as recently as a few years ago, I would see children walking to the bus stop without supervision in my rural Colorado subdivision. I also know at least a few families with young children who don't surround them in bubble wrap and let them lead more adventurous lives.

Other than raising kids in their teens, you’re describing what they’re doing in their 20s, I’m talking about childhood. ... Again, I’m not saying anything about right or wrong or what should be, I’m just saying what is. You pay a price for more safety and security and that price is the kids are missing out on something. Maybe it’s worth it maybe it’s not.

Having spent a number of years working in a large school district I can verify that what you are seeing is correct and it is real. Years ago when a disciplinary referral was sent home the child had to answer to mom and dad. Sometimes there was punishment that hurt more than just the feelings.

Now when a parent is notified (usually mom because no one knows where or even who dad is) of their child's unacceptable behavior the parent storms into the school and demands to know what the teacher/administrator has done to upset their child. Hardly ever is the child held to any form of responsibility.

Every child gets a participation trophy, no one loses, and every child is a star singer, dancer, artist, etc. Much of their life is now virtual and lived on social media. Reality has escaped them.

To give an answer to Rush(ie) ... no, it's not worth it.

For @Rushie. This is what kids should experience! Sorry, a sailing video, not aviation.

I heard "Commodore" Tompkins (the little boy) speak at a screening of this film. Interesting guy! And he survived his childhood.

Back