19 Year Old Woman Begins Attempt Of Solo Around The World Flight

Few on POA, of any age, could accomplish this.
Strongly disagree. It’s merely a question of money, desire, and life circumstances. If I had the money, I’d be game to do it, but would want to be able to take my kids along, which would obviously complicate the trip a tad.
Yes, good news is good, but let’s not overstate it.

So, when will the FAA let us fly LSA’s with adjustable props and retracts?

I doubt they’ll allow constant speed props, but ground adjustable is allowed now. And retractable gear is allowed on LSA amphibs.

But I think it’s more likely the FAA will someday allow a weight increase than an increase in complexity.

Strongly disagree. It’s merely a question of money, desire, and life circumstances. If I had the money, I’d be game to do it, but would want to be able to take my kids along, which would obviously complicate the trip a tad.
Yes, good news is good, but let’s not overstate it.
Couple things: we'd all have money and freedom in a perfect world; and very extensive single engine piston flight over hostile terrain VFR is not something I would want to do with my family. I stand by my original assertion but of course YMMV, as they say.

I keep reading the thread title as “old woman”. Frankly, that would be a more impressive record to me. There’s a hard floor to how young you can do it, and you can never beat your own record, but let’s see a Lunken do something like this.

I keep reading the thread title as “old woman”. Frankly, that would be a more impressive record to me. There’s a hard floor to how young you can do it, and you can never beat your own record, but let’s see a Lunken do something like this.
Around the world, under one bridge at a time?

There is a hard floor, and it hasn't been met.

And that seems to irritate some folks.
It doesn't really irritate me, it just seems to me that with the proper advantages, it's not THAT difficult if you have the motivation and - let's be honest - the money - from Daddy or somewhere.

I just don't see it as a "realistic" motivation for say, my daughter, as there is a realistic ceiling to what I could afford to back her doing funds wise. If I 100% wanted to let her fly solo around the world, and she 100% wanted to fly solo around the world, there would still be a serious issue of coming up with the money.

Now if said 19 year old had managed to raise all the funding herself through a genius business or something, I'd be a lot more impressed. And yes, my 8 yo daughter is actually reading me type this.

If you're honest about the money, this is still a result of the patriarchy...

Last edited:
The money is from Daddy. His job is also to logistics for general aviation planes in foreign countries so that helps. Thanks to the zolo girl women will now have the courage to study STEM subjects.

Of course they aren't supporting a boy. Where's the Social Credit Score boost in that?
I thought the goal was publicity for the company, hopefully resulting in increased sales, not "social credit."

Few on POA, of any age, could accomplish this.

Possibly true as I read in another thread (now locked) that half of the members here are not pilots anyways (claimed by a non-pilot) ... :dunno:

Zara already proved the plane was capable. The boy doing it doesn’t really prove it further or add value to the company’s image. That is one reason the company likely isn’t interested in his effort.

Zara was 19 when she did it. Although still young, she was technically an adult. Her brother at 16 is still a child. His possible demise would probably be harder to defend due to that fact.

And though I will get blasted for saying this, girls in that general age group are typically more mature and have better judgment than boys. Another possible reason to show support for Zara but not the boy.

I believe it is those differentiations that are impacting the company decision on who to support and who not to. I likely would have made the same decisions if it was my company.

I thought the goal was publicity for the company, hopefully resulting in increased sales, not "social credit."

saying "we're not going to do business because of Russia" is a way to get publicity

I still remember the Jessica Dubroff flight.
I think the 19 year old flight was fine. Trying to have the 16 year old do it is obscene to me.

Said he got his license at 15, he's now 16... is that an internationally recognized certificate?

It is quite an achievement, but less so the more that logistics, weather, planning was done by a third party support crew. I see a corollary between this and people that pay to "climb" Mt Everest or Kilimanjaro. Sure, they put one foot in front of the other, but the real challenge in climbing big mountains is not physical, it is mental--the planning, the judgement calls. Having everything served up for you so that you merely operate your legs and feet (or airplane) is less impressive than being responsible yourself. Of course flying solo does involve a lot of judgment calls so the two cases are not entirely equivalent--people that 'climb' big mountains by being led up don't even make any judgment calls.

He hasn't moved in days. Already behind schedule and has almost no press. I wonder how long it will take.

If he manages to fit in a recon flight for the Ukrainian Air Force along the way, he might. (Note that I am not suggesting such a stunt.)

Last edited:
Back