150 knots for $150k

You can still buy parts directly from Socata for a Trinidad. Good luck with that commander (not that they're bad planes.) I am still in love with the TB and wish they had made more TB-200. If my mission were the same as it were couple years ago, I'd have already bought a TB-20.

After reading the entire 6 pages of thread so far, I am SHOCKED that no one has mentioned the Bonanza? How did that airplane go unmentioned.....:D:D:D

Last edited:
After reading the entire 6 pages of thread so far, I am SHOCKED that no one has mentioned the Bonanaza? How did that airplane go unmentioned.....:D:D:D
You didn't read close enough ... posts #8, 13, 24 ...

After reading the entire 6 pages of thread so far, I am SHOCKED that no one has mentioned the Bonanza? How did that airplane go unmentioned.....:D:D:D

giphy.gif

So I will be in Denton Wednesday evening after having signed my life savings away on a Lance. Normally this would call for a DFW get together. However, under the current circumstances going on in Texas I am not sure that is well advised. If any of the DFW-ites can think of a way to easily distance without burning up in the heat, I am open to ideas. Maybe just a quick hello at Beth Marie's? Or you can come watch me fly away on Thursday morning.

@SixPapaCharlie
@JCranford
@AggieMike88
@Ravioli
@RyanShort1

And all the other DFW people I can't think of right now.

It’s still possible to do a small gathering. While Denton is reversing some of the “back in business” rules (such as masks required everywhere) and the bars are all closed, we could meet at a restaurant.

My question is, why are you in such a hurry? Relax man, like my buddy with the cub says, "seventy five smiles an hour."

My question is, why are you in such a hurry? Relax man, like my buddy with the cub says, "seventy five smiles an hour."
Me? Because I like hauling stuff and I only have Saturdays to do it. I normally will do 4+ hours on a Saturday for PnP. Increasing my speed can accomplish two things: widen my radius for pickups or increase my family time if I still want to do a trip but don't have as much time. It's all about utility.

So I will be in Denton Wednesday evening after having signed my life savings away on a Lance. Normally this would call for a DFW get together. However, under the current circumstances going on in Texas I am not sure that is well advised. If any of the DFW-ites can think of a way to easily distance without burning up in the heat, I am open to ideas. Maybe just a quick hello at Beth Marie's? Or you can come watch me fly away on Thursday morning.

@SixPapaCharlie
@JCranford
@AggieMike88
@Ravioli
@RyanShort1

And all the other DFW people I can't think of right now.
Need to coordinate your departure on Thursday morning with my regularly scheduled flight to get a few shots...

New plane is home. Due to weather over Missouri we couldn't stop for gas so did the 4.5 hours nonstop. Long day. Plus yesterday got 3 hours of dual for insurance. I now have 7.7 in the plane.

Sorry for the bad picture. I'm tired. :)

FB_IMG_1593731828881.jpg

New plane is home. Due to weather over Missouri we couldn't stop for gas so did the 4.5 hours nonstop. Long day. Plus yesterday got 3 hours of dual for insurance. I now have 7.7 in the plane.

Sorry for the bad picture. I'm tired. :)

View attachment 87215
Nice!
(hope you remembered to remove the towbar ;))

My what a long nose you have....

4.5 Denton to Peoria not too shabby.... it would have taken me at least that long via an Envoy flight.

Based on my homework so far, assuming I read POH graphs correctly, this is what it takes to get 150 knots in most of the planes suggested. The Lance is certainly a guzzler. I couldn't find performance graphs on the BSV. I was surprised at the 182RG gph. Maybe I read the graph wrong.

View attachment 81104

Fuel cost is a minor cost to airplane ownership.

Fuel cost is a minor cost to airplane ownership.

With variable costs it's hard to say. Based on most people's underutilization, that's probably right. Fuel cost was the largest line item cost during my PA-28-161 ownership though, by a factor of 5 from the second place cost in the ledger (mx). Of course that's what happens when you use a 110knot airplane to do 840NM round trips every other weekend for 14 months, but the point remains. Variable.

Last edited:
Oh that sounds painful.
Long durations indeed. On a 2000smoh engine too. Lyco ftw. It was worth it. Attribute the existence of my family to that airplane. It simply would not have worked without it. Had no money for something faster. In hindsight I could have probably shoehorned myself into a clapped out glasair I FG for the same money, but I was much less engaged in the nuances of EAB back then. Even a measly 15k increase in capex was a lot for me back then as well, so the pickings were slim. Knowing what I know now of course I would have gone clapped out rv6a or glasair I even if it meant a capex stretch, but that's hindsight for ya ;).

Honestly, I miss having a mission and the time to pursue it, like I did back then. Raising a family becomes a big time and resources game of Tetris, and the airplane sits, especially with everybody having a different schedule. Those days things were simpler by comparison. That's life though. Good news about life is like we say in the USAF: "don't like the wx? Wait 5 minutes". Flying always comes in stages. We're planning on doing a lot of xc catching up next summer post covid, whether in the current airplane or a different one.

With variable costs it's hard to say. Based on most people's underutilization, that's probably right. Fuel cost was the largest line item cost during my PA-28-161 ownership though, by a factor of 5 from the second place cost in the ledger (mx). Of course that's what happens when you use a 110knot airplane to do 840NM round trips every other weekend for 14 months, but the point remains. Variable.
I guess it beats driving.....lol :D

We're planning on doing a lot of xc catching up next summer post covid, whether in the current airplane or a different one.

It's too bad there doesn't seem to be an EAB solution that'll give you PA-32 like cabin size. That said, if you replace the Arrow I think you need to go big or go home. I know I've been pestering you about the airline thing for the last few years - what better way to rub COVID-19 in my face than a picture of you and the family in a 310? :p

Post #217.... looks like he bought something already. Time to lock the thread.

Congrats great looking plane!!

Back