• Absolutely not

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

fixedwinger7

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Fixedwinger7
New here guys, I know this topic has been discussed but my case is slightly different. I am a Usmc vet with a 100% total and permanent rating. I’m 2 months from starting a zero to airline 10 month program and I need to know if I have a shot at getting and maintaining a 1st class medical. here are my disabilities.
Disabilities
  1. Right shoulder impingement syndrome and bicipital tendonitis
  2. lumbosacral strain and intervertebral disc syndrome
  3. left heel pain and calcaneal spurs
  4. left ankle sprain and left talus fracture
  5. cervical strain and intervertebral disc syndrome
  6. bilateral plantar fasciitis
  7. right elbow lateral epicondylitis (flexion)
  8. left hip strain (flexion)
  9. left lower extremity sciatica
  10. right hand strain (long finger)
  11. left shoulder impingement syndrome and bicipital tendonitis
  12. right upper extremity cubital tunnel syndrome
  13. right lower extremity radiculopathy
  14. right hip strain (adduction)
  15. right hand strain (ring finger)
  16. generalized anxiety disorder
  17. right hip strain (flexion)
  18. right ankle sprain
  19. right knee patellofemoral pain syndrome
  20. left upper extremity cubital tunnel syndrome and left upper extremity cervical radiculopathy
  21. foreign body matter/right eye
  22. left foot navicular fracture
  23. left knee patellofemoral pain syndrome
  24. left elbow lateral epicondylitis (flexion)
  25. right hand strain (little finger)
  26. tinnitus
  27. gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
  28. right elbow lateral epicondylitis (supination)
  29. left hip strain (adduction)
  30. left elbow lateral epicondylitis (extension)
  31. left elbow lateral epicondylitis (supination)
  32. right hip strain (extension)
  33. left hip strain (extension)

34. I did bold #16 because I think it’s the one I’ll have an issue with. This was diagnosed upon EAS, i was never prescribed any meds for it or told to go see a therapist or anything. In fact I have never been prescribed any drug for any of these, I just take over the counter stuff when I need to. I am currently waiting on a consult with Dr.Kramer in Frisco TX, I’ve heard he’s the best for cases like mine. Any input would be extremely appreciated

Start putting together every scrap of medical records you can get a hold of, you're going to need it.
What's going on with your vision in your eye as well? Given the plethora of musculoskeletal issues, you may be asked to provide information on that.

Start putting together every scrap of medical records you can get a hold of, you're going to need it.
What's going on with your vision in your eye as well? Given the plethora of musculoskeletal issues, you may be asked to provide information on that.
I have my medical records and Notes from the Usmc both on paper and hard drives so we’re good there. The right eye thing was a very small piece of Kevlar that stuck In my eye. No damage or sight impairment at all. so it sounds like your saying I’m gonna get deferred?

New here guys, I know this topic has been discussed but my case is slightly different. I am a Usmc vet with a 100% total and permanent rating. I’m 2 months from starting a zero to airline 10 month program and I need to know if I have a shot at getting and maintaining a 1st class medical. here are my disabilities.
Disabilities
  1. Right shoulder impingement syndrome and bicipital tendonitis
  2. lumbosacral strain and intervertebral disc syndrome
  3. left heel pain and calcaneal spurs
  4. left ankle sprain and left talus fracture
  5. cervical strain and intervertebral disc syndrome
  6. bilateral plantar fasciitis
  7. right elbow lateral epicondylitis (flexion)
  8. left hip strain (flexion)
  9. left lower extremity sciatica
  10. right hand strain (long finger)
  11. left shoulder impingement syndrome and bicipital tendonitis
  12. right upper extremity cubital tunnel syndrome
  13. right lower extremity radiculopathy
  14. right hip strain (adduction)
  15. right hand strain (ring finger)
  16. generalized anxiety disorder
  17. right hip strain (flexion)
  18. right ankle sprain
  19. right knee patellofemoral pain syndrome
  20. left upper extremity cubital tunnel syndrome and left upper extremity cervical radiculopathy
  21. foreign body matter/right eye
  22. left foot navicular fracture
  23. left knee patellofemoral pain syndrome
  24. left elbow lateral epicondylitis (flexion)
  25. right hand strain (little finger)
  26. tinnitus
  27. gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
  28. right elbow lateral epicondylitis (supination)
  29. left hip strain (adduction)
  30. left elbow lateral epicondylitis (extension)
  31. left elbow lateral epicondylitis (supination)
  32. right hip strain (extension)
  33. left hip strain (extension)

34. I did bold #16 because I think it’s the one I’ll have an issue with. This was diagnosed upon EAS, i was never prescribed any meds for it or told to go see a therapist or anything. In fact I have never been prescribed any drug for any of these, I just take over the counter stuff when I need to. I am currently waiting on a consult with Dr.Kramer in Frisco TX, I’ve heard he’s the best for cases like mine. Any input would be extremely appreciated
Kramer is a very good choice. After your consult he'll tell you which of these will be issues and which won't. The vast majority of your list will likely fall into the latter category. You might need a report from an eye doctor (there's a form). And I think you've correctly identified the big thing. But Kramer will set you straight.

I am currently waiting on a consult with Dr.Kramer in Frisco TX,

Howdy from Denton, TX!!!

good to see you’re doing the consult with Dr.Kramer. For us DFW folk, he is one of the best for challenging cases. When you go, have pen and paper with your to make notes of any guidance or answers to questions.

For helping with training questions or just someone to talk to, Hit me up.

PS. Thanks for your service!!

I’d you were an AME, would you give one to someone with all this?

If I were you, I’d pay for a consultation with someone like Bruce Chenin before ever walking into an AMEs office. Period. Full stop.

The eye issue…

maybe not on being deferred.

Kramer will be the final authority, but my guess is that a properly done ophthalmology exam and evaluation by an ophthalmologist and his report of his findings that all is well could be enough to turn this concern into a complete yawn.

When you see Kramer, bring that list from your first post, along with questions on how to make each one an on issue. Hopefully by the end of your visit, you’ll have relived that Marine slogan, “Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.”

If I were you, I’d pay for a consultation with someone like Bruce Chenin before ever walking into an AMEs office. Period. Full stop.
He is. Dr. Stephan Kramer in Frisco is our version of Dr. Bruce.

I would ask myself, is being responsible for the lives of hundreds of people everytime I fly a good idea with these medical conditions. Is your dream more important than your passenger's safety. Recognizing and valuing your service to our nation, I still would not get on a plane piloted by a person with that list. I know that the military would not let you fly even as an LDO.

Kramer is a very good choice. After your consult he'll tell you which of these will be issues and which won't. The vast majority of your list will likely fall into the latter category. You might need a report from an eye doctor (there's a form). And I think you've correctly identified the big thing. But Kramer will set you straight.
thanks for the reply. so when that happened to my eye, i did have to go see an eye doctor and i do have a report saying my i was cleared with no vision change and the results of a post eye sight test.

Last edited:
Howdy from Denton, TX!!!

good to see you’re doing the consult with Dr.Kramer. For us DFW folk, he is one of the best for challenging cases. When you go, have pen and paper with your to make notes of any guidance or answers to questions.

For helping with training questions or just someone to talk to, Hit me up.

PS. Thanks for your service!!
awesome, thank you! looking forward to sitting down with him.

The eye issue…

maybe not on being deferred.

Kramer will be the final authority, but my guess is that a properly done ophthalmology exam and evaluation by an ophthalmologist and his report of his findings that all is well could be enough to turn this concern into a complete yawn.

When you see Kramer, bring that list from your first post, along with questions on how to make each one an on issue. Hopefully by the end of your visit, you’ll have relived that Marine slogan, “Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.”
so fo rthe eye issue i do have paperwork from the eye doctor that states they removed the particle and gave me the all clear with no damage to vision followed by the results showing 20/20 on a vision test.

I would ask myself, is being responsible for the lives of hundreds of people everytime I fly a good idea with these medical conditions. Is your dream more important than your passenger's safety. Recognizing and valuing your service to our nation, I still would not get on a plane piloted by a person with that list. I know that the military would not let you fly even as an LDO.
i understand where youre coming from but i can tell you this. this list makes everything seems WAAAYYY more crazy than it is. it makes it look like im some broken bodied, crippled person that cant do anything. in reality im in my mid 20's, im very active, i go to the gym everyday, i go out on the weekends, i go to college part time, i live a normal like with a little extra pain in my shoulders, knees, hips, and elbows at times, not all at once like a grenade going off.

so fo rthe eye issue i do have paperwork from the eye doctor that states they removed the particle and gave me the all clear with no damage to vision followed by the results showing 20/20 on a vision test.
Present that to Kramer. But also ask if that suffices or is a more recent report (aka within 90 days) a necessity.

Depending on the medical issue, the FAA might ask for a current status rather than an older report.

i understand where youre coming from but i can tell you this. this list makes everything seems WAAAYYY more crazy than it is. it makes it look like im some broken bodied, crippled person that cant do anything. in reality im in my mid 20's, im very active, i go to the gym everyday, i go out on the weekends, i go to college part time, i live a normal like with a little extra pain in my shoulders, knees, hips, and elbows at times, not all at once like a grenade going off.
Then it’s possible that the AME will ask you you do some simple movements and after observing you, yawns and records, “applicant demonstrates normal range of motion with no difficulties”, and moves on to the next question on his list.

Present that to Kramer. But also ask if that suffices or is a more recent report (aka within 90 days) a necessity.

Depending on the medical issue, the FAA might ask for a current status rather than an older report.
Okay, I will do that. He can’t see me until March 1st but I’m assuming Kramer is worth the wait. I may just go ahead and schedule an appointment with an eye doc just to get it done and maybe fast track this whole thing.

Okay, I will do that. He can’t see me until March 1st but I’m assuming Kramer is worth the wait. I may just go ahead and schedule an appointment with an eye doc just to get it done and maybe fast track this whole thing.
I’d wait on spending the money for the eye doc unless it’s needed.

Don’t open canned worms unless instructed, and the money spent needlessly could be used for a required examination

What’s the program?
I’m curious too since airline wants something close to 1500 hours (or 1250 if the airman qualifies for r-ATP) and getting all that done in 10 months is a huge promise by the school.

He is. Dr. Stephan Kramer in Frisco is our version of Dr. Bruce.

I’ve spoken with Dr. Beaty, a HIMS AME here in Fort Worth…have you heard of him?

Wondering if I should make the longer drive to Dr. Kramer if it means putting together a better package.

If anything, 16 is going to be the hard one. If it is, I don’t think starting a 141 program in 2 months is realistic as the FAA can take 6+ months after they get everything they need to issue a medical. Do a CONSULT first to ensure you have everything you need for the FAA to certify your record.

You’ll need all the paper from the C&P exam(s) and your .mil health records. Depending on the eye injury, you may need current (w/in 90 days) opthalmology exam to the FAA’s standards.

There is a question that asks have you ever in your life had…. That’s kind of like your security clearance form except it goes all the way back to birth.

So long as you have normal-ish range of motion and dexterity, the musculo-skeletal stuff is certifiable.

I’ve spoken with Dr. Beaty, a HIMS AME here in Fort Worth…have you heard of him?

Wondering if I should make the longer drive to Dr. Kramer if it means putting together a better package.
Have not heard of Dr. Beaty.

But several aviation friends have used Kramer, including one who successfully earned her medical certificate with an anxiety depression diagnosis in her past.

But several aviation friends have used Kramer, including one who successfully earned her medical certificate with an anxiety depression diagnosis in her past.
I’ll give him a call tomorrow.

March 1st is like two weeks from now. Wait. If Kramer does want you to see an eye doctor, he's going to want the FAA form filled out.

Another thought……

Be careful what you ask for. If you contradict yourself, the VA has a case for fraud. If the FAA finds one of your conditions fine and you represented it to the VA has other than that, your asking for an OIG investigation.

I’ve been down your road shock troop. You’re walking in a mine field.

Another thought……

Be careful what you ask for. If you contradict yourself, the VA has a case for fraud. If the FAA finds one of your conditions fine and you represented it to the VA has other than that, your asking for an OIG investigation.

I’ve been down your road shock troop. You’re walking in a mine field.
I appreciate the word of advice. I’ve thought about that and I believe the way they’re looking at it is, it’s not that I’m telling the VA I have these issues and I’m telling the FAA that I don’t, it’s that I do clearly have these issues due to the Usmc and professionals have determined that I do BUT they’re manageable and situational and when it comes to the anxiety, that was at a particular point in my life (post deployment, going through divorce, getting out of Usmc) with a ton going on and I just so happened to get a mental eval for EAS with a shrink that actually gave a **** and reported back that I had anxiety. I know ideally they would see it this was but it’s all about how it looks on paper and it doesn’t look great.

That gives me a lot of hope! Thank you!

If anything, 16 is going to be the hard one. If it is, I don’t think starting a 141 program in 2 months is realistic as the FAA can take 6+ months after they get everything they need to issue a medical. Do a CONSULT first to ensure you have everything you need for the FAA to certify your record.

You’ll need all the paper from the C&P exam(s) and your .mil health records. Depending on the eye injury, you may need current (w/in 90 days) opthalmology exam to the FAA’s standards.

There is a question that asks have you ever in your life had…. That’s kind of like your security clearance form except it goes all the way back to birth.

So long as you have normal-ish range of motion and dexterity, the musculo-skeletal stuff is certifiable.
Thank you for the input! Yeah I’ve accepted that starting anytime soon is a no go, that sucks but I’d rather do it the right way before I gain any debt.

It’s not a question of whether I, you, or most of the rest of the world would issue a medical. If he meets the standards set forth by the FAA, a medical can be issued.

Just like standards on a checkride.

It’s not a question of whether I, you, or most of the rest of the world would issue a medical. If he meets the standards set forth by the FAA, a medical can be issued.

Just like standards on a checkride.

All of which are entirely subjective, and based upon one, single opinion. Both are an exercise in qualitative analysis. An A in one class is a C to another professor.

Thrust flights zero to airline in 10 months
Ummmm... I have doubts about that timeline....

I know the school, and it is one of the better ones. I've done some training there (including their CFI Academy) and got to know several of the students that were in the pro pilot program at the time.

The program you speak of is a zero to hero one. But the 10-month deal is more likely getting you from zero to COMMERCIAL PILOT in the 10 months along with your CFI credentials. Possibly some or most of your multi engine time too.

Commercial Pilot takes a minimum of 250 hours total time in your logbook. Average is more on the level of 300 to be where you are done with formal training. Then you are "turned loose" to be in the grind to build 1,250 (restricted ATP) or 1,500 (normal ATP) by being a CFI. Frequently Thrust Flight hires their cadets as a CFIs, but unless you have a guarantee of that on paper, if they hire you might depend on demand.

1,250 or 1,500 hours would be very difficult to do in 10 months. Thrust flight *is* one of the active schools at KADS, but between quantity of students, size of fleet, and North Texas Weather, I doubt it's possible to go from zero hours to right seat at a regional in 10 months. 18 to 24 months is more likely.

During training, several of the regional airlines will come visit the school and put on presentations. Examples include Envoy and Skywest. You will learn about their pilot pathway programs and how to apply. For many, it's possible to obtain a conditional job offer to one of these regionals after you have passed 1000 hours and have an idea when you will finish out the required time.

Anyhow... I live up the road a bit. If you need or want an aviation buddy to hang out with, let me know and we can meet up periodically.

I am also in and out of KADS flying a Bonanza every week. So if you hear Six-Two-Foxtrot on the radio, it might just be me at the helm.

Very smart to ask the question about getting the 1st class BEFORE you start paying for training. Suggest delay the pilot training until you get this cleared up and and have 1st class medical in hand. Ask your consulting doctor about time expectations. Might take a year or so?

All of which are entirely subjective, and based upon one, single opinion. Both are an exercise in qualitative analysis. An A in one class is a C to another professor.
There are subjective elements that have more to do with “approving” someone who doesn’t quite meet the standard, but the standards themselves are pretty objective.

Setting aside that statement's accuracy, which of the OP's prior diagnoses give you so much concern. I see two, already mentioned that will raise an eyebrow. But sprained pinkies and plantar fasciitis? GERD? It reads like a laundry list of injuries to someone who was in some **** and came out sore all over. I doubt any of the AME's I've been to, including Kramer, would have much concern about any of the musculoskeletal issues other than weight bearing and range of motion.

Back