cfi renewal

Bigdad1341

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bigdad1341
I have held an Advanced Ground Instructor rating for over 50 years, but have not been active in actual flying.
Are there any courses you can take that will certify that your are capable of teaching.

So you have a CFI? If you haven’t been renewing it through the years, then no, you’ll have to take the check ride again to reinstate it.

A ground instructor is not a flight instructor, or AGI ≠ CFI.
AGI currency is covered in 61.217 and there are other paths to currency besides refresher w/in 12 months or a new checkride. An endorsement w/in 12 months can suffice.

Nauga,
and the old Woody Allen joke

The title says “CFI Renewal” but you mention your AGI in the body, so I’m a bit confused. If it is a CFI you are talking about, it depends on whether you have kept it active or let it lapse long enough that we’re talking reinstatement (91.199) rather than renewal (91.197). The distinction and the requirements are pretty clear in the regs.

While we are on the subject: I’m a CFI/MEI/CFII Airplane.

Does a ASES practical renew me? I’m still current. (61.197.a.1.i)

There is no ASES instructor rating, so NO.

A CFIG or CFIRH would renew your FI certificate.

There is no ASES instructor rating, so NO.
:yeahthat:

@Tools, if you look at the back of your CFI certificate, you will see your aircraft ratings are "Airplane Single Engine" and "Airplane Multi-Engine," not limited to "Land" or "Sea" like a pilot certificate. For example, if you have a CFI-ASE and a commercial ASES, you may teach in single-engine seaplanes.

Well, that’s how I understand it. The FSDO here in Detroit seems to think I would have had to taken an “seaplane instructor” practical to be eligible to renew my CFI… and as mentioned, that doesn’t exist (although he seemed to think it does).

So what practical would work? Only if I had a ASES and added a ASEL?

CFIRH is a different pathway altogether. I’m referring to “taking a practical” pathway, not an instructor add on pathway.

I think! Ha! This just highlights the irony of non lawyers trying to interpret CFRs with non lawyers. This isn’t a big deal to me, just trying to make sense of it. That POI at the FSDO could be right, but his explanation doesn’t make sense to me.

Last edited:
I have held an Advanced Ground Instructor rating for over 50 years, but have not been active in actual flying.
Are there any courses you can take that will certify that your are capable of teaching.
If you read the FARs there are several ways to remain current as a ground instructor. One way is to take a CFI refresher course. Sporty’s is free but quite boring. AOPA has a more interesting one that costs around $140.
You don’t have to tell the FAA that you’ve completed the course, just save the certificate at the end of the course and keep it handy in case anyone asks.

Maybe better put:

My CFI has single engine and multi engine AIRPLANE ratings.

I took a single engine AIRPLANE practical. No distinction on the CFI, so why a distinction not mentioned? That commercial practical (CP ASES) allows me to teach in the seaplane without taking a specialized checkride to teach. So why wouldn’t it allow me to renew a CFI (as there is a “take a practical” pathway.

Other pathways are successful candidates, FIRC, instructor add on. But there specifically is a “practical” pathway.

I didn’t take a glider, rotary, powered lift practical, but a practical for a rating on the CFI card. That’s how I interpret 61.197.a.1.i.

61.197 Renewal requirements for flight instructor certification.
(a) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate that has not expired may renew that flight instructor certificate by—

(1) Passing a practical test for—

(i) One of the ratings listed on the current flight instructor certificate; or

(ii) An additional flight instructor rating;

The reg doesn’t say pass a a practical test for a rating on the pilot certificate.

If you read the FARs there are several ways to remain current as a ground instructor. One way is to take a CFI refresher course. Sporty’s is free but quite boring. AOPA has a more interesting one that costs around $140.
You don’t have to tell the FAA that you’ve completed the course, just save the certificate at the end of the course and keep it handy in case anyone asks.
That's not quite how it works. Although there is something in the works to change it, currently CFI certificates expire. Renewing via FIRC is not just getting a graduation certificate. It's completing an 8710 renewal in IACRA so the FAA renews your certificate.

Maybe better put:

My CFI has single engine and multi engine AIRPLANE ratings.

I took a single engine AIRPLANE practical. No distinction on the CFI, so why a distinction not mentioned? That commercial practical (CP ASES) allows me to teach in the seaplane without taking a specialized checkride to teach. So why wouldn’t it allow me to renew a CFI (as there is a “take a practical” pathway.

Other pathways are successful candidates, FIRC, instructor add on. But there specifically is a “practical” pathway.

I didn’t take a glider, rotary, powered lift practical, but a practical for a rating on the CFI card. That’s how I interpret 61.197.a.1.i.
If you want something "practical" for renewal, you can take a checkride for a new CFI rating or take a checkride for one of your existing ratings.

I'm sure you've already read the CFI ACS which has a chart of tasks for renewal/reinstatement rides.
1713376207632.png

That's not quite how it works. Although there is something in the works to change it, currently CFI certificates expire. Renewing via FIRC is not just getting a graduation certificate. It's completing an 8710 renewal in IACRA so the FAA renews your certificate.
That’t not how it works for Ground Instructors. Ground Instructor certificates never expire. There are conditions that you can meet in order to provide instruction, one of which is to complete a CFI renewal course.
§ 61.217 Recent experience requirements.
( c) Completion of an approved flight instructor refresher course and receipt of a graduation certificate for that course; or

That’t not how it works for Ground Instructors. Ground Instructor certificates never expire. There are conditions that you can meet in order to provide instruction, one of which is to complete a CFI renewal course.
§ 61.217 Recent experience requirements.
( c) Completion of an approved flight instructor refresher course and receipt of a graduation certificate for that course; or
Right. But he’s asking about CFI renewal, not GI.

I would suggest that if you can’t create a thread where the title and your post don’t conflict, you’re not capable of teaching.

61.197 Renewal requirements for flight instructor certification.
(a) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate that has not expired may renew that flight instructor certificate by—

(1) Passing a practical test for—

(i) One of the ratings listed on the current flight instructor certificate; or

(ii) An additional flight instructor rating;

The reg doesn’t say pass a a practical test for a rating on the pilot certificate.
@Tools , this is the entire reg. It is what it is. To renew your existing CFI certificate via the checkride method, you either take a practical test for a CFI rating you already have (CFI, CFII, MEI, but more accurately called CFI-ASE, CFI-IA, and CFI-AME, which is somewhat important in this context), OR you take a practical for a CFI rating you don't have, which from the list in 61.5c, is CFI-Rotorcraft Helicopter, CFI-Rotorcraft Gyroplane, CFI-Glider, CFI-Powered Lift, CFI-Instrument Helicopter, or CFI-Instrument Powered Lift. CFI-Sport Pilot is also listed, but I'm not sure how that works if you already have a CFI certificate. Those are your options. And this is why most people like you and I who are CFI-ASE, CFI-IA, and CFI-AME don't go that route, choosing instead to renew based on checkride passes or FIRC.

Now, if you're going to go for your Seaplane (pilot) rating, you might be able to work something out with the DPE where you also do a CFI-ASE checkride either simultaneously or immediately thereafter, I suppose. I'd have to think about that some, though. If you could, then you would be renewing by taking a checkride for a CFI rating you already have.

I think some of you are being either a little harsh to the OP, or not reading between the lines in the post.

I read his situation as he got his AGI 50 years ago, but hasn't taught or flown in a long time (perhaps most of those 50 years?) and is looking at how to get back into it. Yes, maybe he got the terminology wrong by using CFI in the title, but heck I've definitely titled posts poorly myself - and if you've been out of it for decades, it's pretty understandable.

@Bigdad1341 , it would help if you gave us some more detail, and then we could help advise you on how to get back into aviation and teaching. You would have an interesting perspective if you haven't flown much or at all in 50 years (and a LOT to catch up on).

I think some of you are being either a little harsh to the OP, or not reading between the lines in the post.

I read his situation as he got his AGI 50 years ago, but hasn't taught or flown in a long time (perhaps most of those 50 years?) and is looking at how to get back into it. Yes, maybe he got the terminology wrong by using CFI in the title, but heck I've definitely titled posts poorly myself - and if you've been out of it for decades, it's pretty understandable.

@Bigdad1341 , it would help if you gave us some more detail, and then we could help advise you on how to get back into aviation and teaching. You would have an interesting perspective if you haven't flown much or at all in 50 years (and a LOT to catch up on).
On he flip side, the OP has held an AGI certificate for over 50 years, which would put him at least in his late 60’s. Obviously different people have different aging characteristics, but getting back into the swing of aviation after an absence of several years seems to be very difficult at that age. I’ve seen several people try, and none have been successful.

I’m not saying the OP can’t do it, but I’d definitely recommend an honest self-evaluation, and understand that the learning/relearning process is entirely different for someone in their 60s than it is for someone in their 20s.

@RussR , oooooooh…. Ok. I’ll buy that. Weird, but not unusual. Weirder is that I can instruct in one. I asked about a CFI checkride (in the context of seaplane), they didn’t seem to really even know what I was talking about. In their defense, it makes sense. It would be stupid to change to a CFI checkride JUST to renew. I actually thought it might be necessary. They were good with me getting more time in the back seat so I’d be more prepared to teach, and I will do that.

Thanks for taking the time!

Last edited:
I actually read his post and answered the question he asked.
“I have held an Advanced Ground Instructor rating for over 50 years…”
Technically you didn’t answer the question he asked…you provided guidance for currency. He asked about determining capability.

Basically, from that, yes you could take a CFI ASE practice test in an ASES aircraft and renew your CFI. I was saying that there is no CFI ASES practical, just an ASE. But you cannot take a Comm ASES practical and renew your CFI.

You can take it in ANY ASE aircraft. A friend did his in a Pitts S-2A. DPE did some acro and signed him off. :D

Now, if you're going to go for your Seaplane (pilot) rating, you might be able to work something out with the DPE where you also do a CFI-ASE checkride either simultaneously or immediately thereafter, I suppose. I'd have to think about that some, though. If you could, then you would be renewing by taking a checkride for a CFI rating you already have.

The latter of your two suggestive thoughts is accurate. Two separate practical tests with no crossover. Other than possibly accomplishing them on the same day, one won't have anything to do with the other; must close out in IACRA for each one, individually.

On he flip side, the OP has held an AGI certificate for over 50 years, which would put him at least in his late 60’s. Obviously different people have different aging characteristics, but getting back into the swing of aviation after an absence of several years seems to be very difficult at that age. I’ve seen several people try, and none have been successful.

I’m not saying the OP can’t do it, but I’d definitely recommend an honest self-evaluation, and understand that the learning/relearning process is entirely different for someone in their 60s than it is for someone in their 20s.
His profile states his age is 83. Probably a reason why his post makes no sense.

Back