I survived the great earthquake of 2024!

GaryM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Gary M
10:25 am this morning, epicenter near Whitehouse Station, NJ (about 25 miles away from us). While it was fairly mild at magnitude 4.7-4.8, apparently it holds the distinction as the strongest quake ever recorded in NJ. Shook our house pretty good for 10-15 seconds, and made quite a bit of noise, not all of which was our dog losing his mind.

Thus far, no reports of injuries or damage in the state.

1712343486478.png

I spent a summer in Danali National Park, AK. (Or whatever it is called now)

We would hear it first, then feel it. First time for me it was ...RAAAAAAAA. I asked, ''What the.." then shake, rattle and roll.

I was surprised to hear it first, then feel it.

And yes, it is disturbing to feel the very ground I depend on to be stable to shake. I eventually got used to it, but every little shake would get my attention.

Felt it here in Vermont on its way to being felt in Montreal.

If it would have happened at night, I would have slept through it. Loma Prieta calibrated that for me back in 1989. Anything less than a 5.0 and it did not wake me.

4.7 is a yawn. I don't even feel anything under about a 5.5. You people on the east coast can keep your icing and tornadoes, thank you, we will stick to our fires and earthquakes.

It was noticeable here, but minor enough that it took a little bit for me to figure out what it was. But these things have only happened a couple of times in the last 30 years in this area.

Rain and snow I recognize much more quickly.

I was flying into JFK from Paris. Boston center told us to slow to slowest practical speed due to the earthquake and JFK tower being evacuated and to expect delays. About 10-15 minutes later they told us to speed up and to expect no delays. We got in with no issues. Landed around 1115am

4.7 is a yawn. I don't even feel anything under about a 5.5. You people on the east coast can keep your icing and tornadoes, thank you, we will stick to our fires and earthquakes.

Wake me when it is 7.0 or better...

I have been 50 miles from two major epicenters...

Lived in Morgan Hill, Ca when the Loma Prieta hit... and Ventura when the Northridge hit... this is one that made my descision about further keeping a salt water fish tank....

Lived in Morgan Hill, Ca when the Loma Prieta hit... and Ventura when the Northridge hit... this is one that made my descision about further keeping a salt water fish tank....
My folks were on the Bay Bridge when the span collapsed several cars in front of them. It took them 14 hours to return to their home in Napa.

My folks were on the Bay Bridge when the span collapsed several cars in front of them. It took them 14 hours to return to their home in Napa.
I remember watching videos of that time somewhat detached being an east coaster. Then I unexpectedly lived in the SF area from Dec '89 for a year.

I remember watching videos of that time somewhat detached being an east coaster. Then I unexpectedly lived in the SF area from Dec '89 for a year.
I was in Sacramento at the time (starving student.) I don't remember feeling it, but a couple years later when I was hired as a staff engineer for a water utility, an elevated tank at one of our systems in Isleton was damaged in the quake and had to be replaced. I watched it topple.

A lot of water tanks were damaged in the quake. A couple from our Bay Area systems were bulged out at the bottom from wave action. The repairs consisted of supporting the upper half of the tanks with welded C sections, cutting out the bottom third, and welding in new replacement panels.

I was at work (law enforcement) talking to my partner. I was mid-sentence, and just stopped and said, “Dude, did you feel that?”
He was like, “Nooooo?”
I told him, “That was an earthquake. I’m dead serious.”

It lasted all of 3, MAYBE 4 seconds here in central PA. I pulled up the seismic activity charts. Nothing. So I thought maybe my partner was right, maybe I was imagining stuff. About 20 mins later, we were walking out of the office and it was on the news. I just pointed in astonishment. I wasn’t crazy after all. (Well, I mean, not about that. I’m a pilot, so clearly I’m crazy, but…)

All I felt was the floor beneath my feet moving a little bit. It was almost imperceptible, which is why I wasn’t sure, but a few other people in the building felt it.

I just wish it would have happened during the eclipse.

My then brother-in-law (nice guy) was at the 1989 World Series, the Bay Bridge Series, between the Oakland Athletics and the San Francisco Giants for the Loma Prieta quake. He didn't get home until late the next day.

I was at Narita waiting for my connection about 12-13 years ago when a 4 or 5 something hit just north of us. I didn’t understand what it was at first. It felt like some giant air conditioner kicked on - shook the whole terminal. I looked up from my book long enough to see all the planes rock just a little. Then it was over. Took a hunch and about 10 minutes to check the USGS site. Sure enough!

I was hovering off the coast on a Knox class frigate waiting to dock in Treasure Island when the ‘89 quake hit San Francisco. Wound up just cruising down to San Diego instead.

Was onboard a 767 about to start boarding passengers when the big quake hit north of Narita. Didn’t operate out until 3 days later. Lots of afterquakes…

Experienced my first quake in north Georgia of all places!

Back