BFR Required Maneuvers

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
Yeah B. If you can’t handle that then ok fine, FR Required Maneuvers. Are there maneuvers that are required to be done on all BFR’s?

And I believe in that order, too.

So I came close (it still COULD happen…) to taking skydiving lessons. I was gonna do my first solo jump and solo my jump instructor at the same time! Would be epic!

So he would have a solo landing before a solo takeoff… we couldn’t find a reason this isn’t kosher.

Hehe, prolly use the PAC-750, that would be a .05 going up (10k) and .05 coming down!

“A representative sample of the ACS”
Actually, the words in the reg are:

A review of those maneuvers and procedures that, at the discretion of the person giving the review, are necessary for the pilot to demonstrate the safe exercise of the privileges of the pilot certificate.

Even the IPC doesn't say reference the ACS, thought he ACS itself has a table for what the FAA group that wrote that decided should be on it.

There's an advisory circular that says that the ACS/PTS should be used in evaluating the flight review but other than specifying that the review cover abnormal/emergency procedures and that the pilot should be still able to do all the tasks, it doesn't mandate any particular scope.

No, no specific maneuvers. I will tailor mine to the needs of the client, but there's always going to be steep turns, stalls, emergency procedures, and usually hood work.
Hell, that’s a typical sightseeing flight for me…

I suggest you go into an FR (formally known as BFR) with a plan. You know your strengths and weaknesses best. If you control the agenda it will be better tailored to your needs.

So he would have a solo landing before a solo takeoff… we couldn’t find a reason this isn’t kosher.
We both probably know a couple of folks who have more solo takeoffs than landings. :cool:

Nauga,
onward, upward, outward

One of the first questions I ask as a CFI at a (B)FR is "Is there anything you would like to brush up on or do?" You are hiring me to help you with this review. I've had pilots that felt uncomfortable with some aspect of their flying that wanted to work on it with a CFI. I've had others that wanted to try something new, like Commercial maneuvers. I think that is the greatest aspect of the review requirement, it gives a pilot the opportunity to interact with a CFI that they might not have sought out otherwise.

Thanks but it isn’t up to me. It’s up to the guy signing my logbook. I appreciate the post though.
I know. Like I said, you just have to find a CFI who will do what you need. I’m guessing you could but it may take more than few phone calls. For the gallery, this started out in ‘not worthy of it’s own thread’ with this..

“In 10 days it will be a year since I flew my plane. I’ve now got the RAM STC which includes 4 new cylinders and pistons and a new carb. Also new is a Power Flow exhaust (short stack) and EI engine monitor. I also installed a new set of engine baffles.

The sad thing is that my BFR is overdue and I’m not current. I can’t do maneuvers for a BFR until the cylinders are broken in.

This whole process started because I just wanted to paint a $28 push rod tube. Long version of story to be told over an adult beverage.”

I said this “I don’t think there are any required maneuvers for a BFR. If I’m right ya just gotta find a CFI who knows that and doesn’t feel compelled to do things that are bad for your engine. Maybe this is thread worthy. I’m gonna do it.”

Last edited:
My CFI, A&P and good friend is also a member of this forum. I’m sure we’ll be able to work this out.

I can’t do maneuvers for a BFR until the cylinders are broken in.

I said this “I don’t think there are any required maneuvers for a BFR. If I’m right ya just gotta find a CFI who knows that and doesn’t feel compelled to do things that are bad for your engine. Maybe this is thread worthy. I’m gonna do it.”

Although there are no required maneuvers for a FR, I'd have to think really hard as to whether I could conduct a worthwhile FR while keeping the engine at 75%, or whatever the break-in instructions are. And I suspect I'd decide that no, I couldn't.

Sure you could do some navigation exercises, and steep turns, some hood work. And I suppose one landing, since you do have to land once anyway. But no engine failure scenarios, slow flight or stalls, multiple crosswind landings, emergency descents, most instrument work, go arounds, etc. I think it would be a pretty limited FR, and therefore probably not meet a reasonable standard.

Although there are no required maneuvers for a FR, I'd have to think really hard as to whether I could conduct a worthwhile FR while keeping the engine at 75%, or whatever the break-in instructions are. And I suspect I'd decide that no, I couldn't.

Sure you could do some navigation exercises, and steep turns, some hood work. And I suppose one landing, since you do have to land once anyway. But no engine failure scenarios, slow flight or stalls, multiple crosswind landings, emergency descents, most instrument work, go arounds, etc. I think it would be a pretty limited FR, and therefore probably not meet a reasonable standard.
I was figuring many CFI's wouldn't want to do it. Don't want someone to stall/spin/splat and it's found out that wasn't covered on the last FR.

I was figuring many CFI's wouldn't want to do it. Don't want someone to stall/spin/splat and it's found out that wasn't covered on the last FR.
I wouldn’t worry about that so much as simply doing a flight review that evaluates something other than cruise flight.

I've had AWESOME reviews here in EL Paso. One of the FR's was in the CFI's Pitts ... we did a LOT of maneuvers, spins-recovery, aileron rolls etc. Had a different CFI that is no longer available that used to do some really tough emergency procedures simulations after take off and some harsh under the hood recoveries ....

One of the first questions I ask as a CFI at a (B)FR is "Is there anything you would like to brush up on or do?" You are hiring me to help you with this review. I've had pilots that felt uncomfortable with some aspect of their flying that wanted to work on it with a CFI. I've had others that wanted to try something new, like Commercial maneuvers. I think that is the greatest aspect of the review requirement, it gives a pilot the opportunity to interact with a CFI that they might not have sought out otherwise.

You are the kind of CFI I like to fly with.

The sad thing is that my BFR is overdue and I’m not current. I can’t do maneuvers for a BFR until the cylinders are broken in.

I know it is painful to rent an airplane when you are already paying to own one. (And it sounds like you have been paying plenty) However, if the airplane you own is not suitable for the mission, renting is the best option.

The very first maneuver that I required of a pilot during a (B)FR was...

...wait for it....

A trip to the bathroom.!!!

And hitting the bucket was the first step in the pass/fail...

And no, I did not observe, I just inspected the floor afterwards..:lol:

Better to be thorough, especially on the CFI’s part. Don’t want someone to lawn dart and the FAA find out you just made them do a lap around the pattern. DPE tells us to use the ACS and to file an 8710, especially for IPCs.

Personally. I make them do stalls and steep turns because it’s an easy gauge as to how precise and quick to react they are. Then do an emergency down go 500agl. Some landings, etc. easily done in an hour.

Back