What are acceptable BP numbers

What you do is your choice, as is my friend’s choice on wearing a helmet.

I offer my opinion when asked in person or on line. Part of why I offer it is because I hate to see a person injured when they don’t have to be.

You make the final choice my friend.

Last edited:
So far, you can't fly in Canada with Basic Med, which is a biggie if you want to fly to Alaska, which you should . . .
First. If I never go again to Canada, I will be happy.
Second. Alaska looks to be a hazardous place to fly. If I go, I’ll take my VStrom 650 and rent a plane.
But I appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:
We all make personal choices. What those choices are should be up to us and us alone. I might have a discussion about it with my family but in the end it’s my choice.

I agree, your choice is none of POA's business.
But if you might discuss this with your family, you might want to discuss it with your physician as well.

So far, you can't fly in Canada with Basic Med, which is a biggie if you want to fly to Alaska, which you should . . .

get a plane with long enough range to cross Canada nonstop? :)

I agree, your choice is none of POA's business.
But if you might discuss this with your family, you might want to discuss it with your physician as well.
Remember all I asked for what was the limit on blood pressure with the FAA. Half fast solved the problem by reminding me of basic med option.
But FWIW, I value my online relationships with the people at POA here mostly. Over the last few years they have been helpful, informative and entertaining. As for the other part of this thread, I obviously have a different perspective than others. At my age I am no longer essential to others. My daughter is ensconced at med school and independent of me. She is where she wants to be and her life is pretty much on track. I am proud of her. I am in her life as much as possible but The Circle of Life is complete. I am just hanging around flying planes, riding motorcycles until called. When that happens, tomorrow or 50 years from now, doesn’t really matter. We are all spiritual beings in a temporary mortal experience.

First. If I never go again to Canada, I will be happy.
Second. Alaska looks to be a hazardous place to fly. If I go, I’ll take my VStrom 650 and rent a plane.
But I appreciate your thoughts.

Couple of thoughts:
1) Eh, Canadians are nice enough, although they do put mayonnaise on too many things.
2) Alaska - no problem - just fly out beyond 3 miles from shore and fly in international airspace - what could go wrong? :)
3) VStrom - love that bike. IMHO the 650 is much better than the liter version.

Couple of thoughts:
1) Eh, Canadians are nice enough, although they do put mayonnaise on too many things.
2) Alaska - no problem - just fly out beyond 3 miles from shore and fly in international airspace - what could go wrong? :)
3) VStrom - love that bike. IMHO the 650 is much better than the liter version.
1) I am fine with Canadians. Unfortunately they seem to be suffering under a regime that I don’t wanna support. Maybe that will change in the future
2) going to Alaska is on the bucket list. I am just not sure flying there’s the best way to do it. Besides how do I take my motorcycle with me?
3) Indeed, it has been one of my better choices. I keep looking at other options but they always come up short in someway.

1) I am fine with Canadians. Unfortunately they seem to be suffering under a regime that I don’t wanna support. Maybe that will change in the future
2) going to Alaska is on the bucket list. I am just not sure flying there’s the best way to do it. Besides how do I take my motorcycle with me?
3) Indeed, it has been one of my better choices. I keep looking at other options but they always come up short in someway.

#1 - agree 100%.

Capture.JPG
Any examples? My insurer was perfectly fine with Basic Med.

Here is an example. I blotted out all the relevant information. But not over 70 (actually mid 50's). On basic med. They required a 3rd class.

Capture.JPG

It has been my experience that the best way to keep your BP low is to avoid arse holes at all times. My BP runs 100/65...:).

Here is an example. I blotted out all the relevant information. But not over 70 (actually mid 50's). On basic med. They required a 3rd class.

Your form states "must have obtained a 3rd class or better...". In order to have Basic Med that criterion must be met. Are you sure that a current class 3 or better certificate is need or just have "obtained" one in the past and now are on Basic Med?

Your form states "must have obtained a 3rd class or better...". In order to have Basic Med that criterion must be met. Are you sure that a current class 3 or better certificate is need or just have "obtained" one in the past and now are on Basic Med?

uhh, you are correct in the exact wording and reading. . though I'm not sure that is their intention. . . but thank you for pointing that out :)

If you are unwilling to have a civil discussion, Please put my posts on your ignore list.
Take BP medicine or don't. I don't care. But you said you're not going to take it because you want to have a stroke. That's got to be the stupidest thing I've ever read on this site. And that's a high bar. If that's the expected tenor of your future posts, I'll happily ignore them.

Take BP medicine or don't. I don't care. But you said you're not going to take it because you want to have a stroke. That's got to be the stupidest thing I've ever read on this site. And that's a high bar. If that's the expected tenor of your future posts, I'll happily ignore them.

nope. He didn't say he wanted to have a stroke. He said "I have decided that a stroke is better than spending my last years in a dementia ward"

get a plane with long enough range to cross Canada nonstop? :)
That sounds like an option, but I'm not even sure it is, at least legally. And I think if you get caught the penalties are probably high.

I was hoping to avoid this... but My BP last week was 137/80, which higher than i am used to. My PCP made no comment on those numbers. My one and only intent on starting this thread was to get an informed opionion on how would the AME look at those numbers as I have no other reference and my Class 3 expires this Feburary.. From the responces received, it will not be an issue for the AME. Then Half Fast corrected my assumptions about Basic Med, which gave me options that I did not think I had. My internal thought was "Gee, if my PCP does my Basic Med and he is alright with my BP than I am in the clear and don't have to worry about my BP." Then I made the mistake of getting philosophical and things went downhill from there.

Are you happy now? :rolleyes:

Still here?

Last edited:
I think you should.
I did. He's not going to take BP meds because he'd rather die of stroke than live to have dementia. Did you take some other meaning? It not only illustrates the logical fallacy of bifurcation, it's also just dumb.

but My BP last week was 137/80, which higher than i am used to. My PCP made no comment on those numbers.

Most physicians wouldn't medicate on a single instance of numbers like that, but it's worth monitoring to ensure your BP isn't consistently high or trending up. Before my doc prescribed meds, he had me take BP readings a couple of times a day for several weeks. You might get a machine and start checking it occasionally.

Actually my two trips to Alaska in the C206 were done WITH a motorcycle in the plane. See this link.

The trip all the way across Canada (Ontario to the Yukon) was a very enjoyable part of the adventure.

View attachment 112169

Love the 206.!! If it fits, it ships.!!

Easy weight and balance, if the tail is off the ground, good to go.!!

I did. He's not going to take BP meds because he'd rather die of stroke than live to have dementia. Did you take some other meaning? It not only illustrates the logical fallacy of bifurcation, it's also just dumb.

"I'd rather have A than B" is not the same as "I want A".

I'd rather eat lima beans than eat sushi. And, trust me, I don't want to eat lima beans.

Love the 206.!! If it fits, it ships.!!
Me, too.

Two round trips, Vermont to North Carolina, last week. Five adults, a big dog and normal luggage with 80 gallons of fuel. I've been flying it for 38 years.

"I'd rather have A than B" is not the same as "I want A".

I'd rather eat lima beans than eat sushi. And, trust me, I don't want to eat lima beans.
Except when it's, "I'd rather have A than B so I'm going to intentionally increase the chances of A." Especially when A and B are just two of a thousand possibilities.

So, WCS has gotten me recently (the last few years) for whatever reason. I have been monitoring BP, and have had all sorts of results. But the monitoring has been beneficial. So just now, after reading this post, broke out the (doctor verified) BP machine. First reading 133/87. Did some chill exercises, 121/75. Five minutes of measured breathing, 108/64. Chair dancing to my favorite death metal for five minutes, 111/75. So, to the OP, it all just depends.

So, WCS has gotten me recently (the last few years) for whatever reason. I have been monitoring BP, and have had all sorts of results. But the monitoring has been beneficial. So just now, after reading this post, broke out the (doctor verified) BP machine. First reading 133/87. Did some chill exercises, 121/75. Five minutes of measured breathing, 108/64. Chair dancing to my favorite death metal for five minutes, 111/75. So, to the OP, it all just depends.

Keep in mind that White Coat Syndrome represents a reaction to the stress of having your blood pressure measured in a doctor's office, and it goes lower once you are relaxed. You can infer from that information that your reaction to stress of any kind will also produce a higher BP reading, so if you lead a stress free life (which few of us do) you can dismiss the high reading as an aberration. But if your BP gets too high every time you face stress, you've still got a long term problem.

I’m reminded of a friend long ago who didn’t wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. His reasoning was that a helmet would keep you alive but you’d have a bad brain injury. Better to ride without and die quickly. You can’t make this stuff up….
Reminds me of the people whose objection to wearing a seat belt was "I'd rather be thrown clear."

As if using your head as a battering ram to break through a windshield would just be loads of fun!

Take care of BP, sugar levels, alcohol, and whatnot and you’re less likely to stroke out and end up in a nursing home is the point I offer to you.

I’m reminded of a friend long ago who didn’t wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. His reasoning was that a helmet would keep you alive but you’d have a bad brain injury. Better to ride without and die quickly. You can’t make this stuff up….

Anyone who thinks his brain isn’t worth protecting with a helmet is 100% correct.

Your friend wasn't thinking about all the protection provided. When I screwed up a panic stop and dumped my bike, while sliding along the street I clearly remember thinking how glad I was that I was wearing my fullface helmet. Otherwise I would have had massive skin injury to my face. I know a (then) young woman that wasn't wearing a helmet. Lots of reconstructive plastic surgery was involved.

I still have that helmet... with the badly scarred side. (and, no, I never used that helmet again)

A few thoughts:
1) I like lima beans
2) That is an amazing 206
3) I have the reverse white coat syndrome. My BP is high at work, but I'm relaxed in the Dr office, so it is consistently lower.

A few thoughts:
1) I like lima beans
2) That is an amazing 206
3) I have the reverse white coat syndrome. My BP is high at work, but I'm relaxed in the Dr office, so it is consistently lower.

Obviously, you should stop working and spend more time in your doctor's office to avoid having a stroke.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back