Van's RV-15 high Wing

Looks like a Murphy
It looks so much like a Murphy, I thought it was one the first time I saw it!

From Vans: The RV-15 prototype is in the wild. It’s a high-wing airplane. Back-country mission capable. And (of course) Total Performance.

Yeah, that resonates. I was more playing along the lines of -- the whole RV line looks nearly identical to me. But I use a plane as a travel appliance, so I view them all through the numbers lens. I know others cherish the acrobatics or efficiency or ability to do a flight of five overhead break formation landing and terrorize the local untowered field like locusts.

To me, though, every RV may as well be named Blue Steel, Ferrari, or Le Tigre, because this new Magnum looks like more of the same to me. :D

(That twin RV6 looked interesting. I understand Van poo-poohed it. Shame. :D )
(sly movie reference)

Reading through the comments on the VAF site it seems many people aren't thrilled yet, hopefully the performance numbers will change that. Everyone is comparing it to the Murphy Rebel but I have no doubt it will be faster. The wing doesn't look as fat or as wide in cord as the rebel and it will likely have flush rivets like all the other RV's. It appears to have a stabilator like the S21. I'm not sure what they expected from Vans looks wise. Obviously they were going to try their best to share parts and tooling with the current lineup to save cost and well to be honest, RV's just aren't very attractive to begin with.

My own observations:
Wing looks very similar to the RV9 with fowler flaps.
Sounds like a big engine so hopefully the added power will offset the drag from the taller profile and struts. Cruise around 180 mph?
I'd guess the kit price will be in the same ball park as an RV14 40-45k.
Overall I'd guess it's a step up from an S21, designed for more HP for better performance at a similar cost. Call it an ugly budget minded 2 place sportsman that will most likely have a 4 place sibling if the market responds.
says the man who flies something that looks like it came out of the rear end of chicken! :D

Personally I like the way it looks, bearing in mind that this is the prototype and not the final kit-ready airframe. However, as much as I want a high wing, I don’t think the 15 will have the specs to entice me to sell my RV-10 and start building again. But I still plan to go to the RV-15 forum Tuesday morning at Osh to see what’s what.

699D4675-31AB-4AA9-AF63-E1213F372612.jpeg

Last edited:
. . . and well to be honest, RV's just aren't very attractive to begin with. . . .

Good day to you, sir. I said GOOD DAY!

0UWhdk3l.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a new video from the Van's Employee Reveal Party. Interesting how they moved the landing gear shock absorbers into the fuselage.

The gear attach points look pretty beefy as well.
RV15 Gear.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting how they moved the landing gear shock absorbers into the fuselage.
Interesting to mix spring gear + shocks. I like it, best of both worlds, the freedom for the gear to translate - while keeping the big bounces to a minimum. There's the innovation I wanted to see.

Yeah - not helping your case. Visually, RV's look exceptionally boring. Kind of like a 172 of the experimental world.
Those two are nice examples but I stand by my word. They aren't hideous or ugly, they are just blah.... Somehow though the Rocket and F1 seem to transform them into lookers. I know the F1 isn't technically an RV but its close enough and looks great!

If you're not going to build or buy one, what does it matter what they look like? Based upon Van's success, apparently plenty of people think RV's look good enough--they certainly perform good enough. I predict Van's will sell loads of 15 kits despite looks, market saturation or whatever aspect anyone wants to bring up.

Last edited:
If you're not going to build or buy one, what does it matter what they look like? Based upon Van's success, apparently plenty of people think RV's look good enough--they certainly perform good enough. I predict Van's will sell loads of 15 kits despite looks, market saturation or whatever aspect anyone wants to bring up.
Because we're expressing an opinion on a pertinent topic?

I'm sure they'll sell loads of them too.

Those two are nice examples but I stand by my word. They aren't hideous or ugly, they are just blah.... Somehow though the Rocket and F1 seem to transform them into lookers. I know the F1 isn't technically an RV but its close enough and looks great!

I will agree that a fastback fuselage on tandem RV's etc. is aesthetically pleasing.

FWIW, an eagle eyed guy over on VAF noticed the front mounted prop gov on the engine, so that means the prototype is flying behind an IO-390.

FWIW, an eagle eyed guy over on VAF noticed the front mounted prop gov on the engine, so that means the prototype is flying behind an IO-390.
could be an io-540 ;)

Except it's not.
One can dream. A 4 seat with 260 HP would be pretty awesome. It seems a bit small for a 4 seater, but it seems a bit large for a 2 seater... Maybe it's a 3 or 4 seater. With the 390 it would be ok.

Yeah - not helping your case. Visually, RV's look exceptionally boring. Kind of like a 172 of the experimental world.
Or as I refer to examples of the breed: JAFTHA (Just Another F****** Tin Homebuilt Airplane). Or "Vancan," as a late friend used to say.

Don't get me wrong. RVs are excellent airplanes, with the best company in the industry backing them up. "Total Performance" is totally correct.

But they compose about 25% of the homebuilt fleet (probably more, if one limits the tally to active aircraft) and are dead-stock conventional in configuration. Almost literally the definition of "Average" in appearance. The non-flying citizen (and, probably, pilots unfamiliar with homebuilts) can't tell them from Grumman AA-1s.

In the "good 'ol days" of homebuilts, amateur-built aircraft LOOKED different. Long-EZs, BD-5s, Deuces, Pietenpols, and, yes, Fly Babies. Today, you'll find both the RVs and the other types attracting people at airshows. But the people around the RVs are those who own one themselves or who are interested in building one. Us other types get the babes and the kids... :)
fly baby girl-2.jpg
Ron Wanttaja

One can dream. A 4 seat with 260 HP would be pretty awesome. It seems a bit small for a 4 seater, but it seems a bit large for a 2 seater... Maybe it's a 3 or 4 seater. With the 390 it would be ok.

I'd sell my 10 tomorrow if they came out with a 4-seat, IO-540 powered version. And such an animal may very well be in the works pending how the 15 and presumably the 15A (Van's announced last year that the 15 would come in both tailwheel and tricycle versions) do in the market. Based upon the original video, there's speculation that the 15 might be a 2+2 a la the Glasair Sportsman, but we probably won't know for sure until the Forum at Osh week after next, if they divulge that level of info at all.

Except it's not.
One can dream.
If you want a IO-540, install a IO-540.
Apparently a tailwheel rv12 is too much to ask for...
If you want at tailwheel RV-12, build a tailwheel RV-12
I like manual flaps
If you want manual flaps, install manual flaps.
Wing looks very similar to the RV9 with fowler flaps.
Sounds like a big engine so hopefully the added power will offset the drag [...] and struts.
One would assume that they went with a somewhat thinner airfoil which would offset at least some of the strut drag. But if they added some camber for better STOLishness, then that offsets the drag from a thinner profile.
Details, details, details.

If you want a IO-540, install a IO-540..
It's more than that. a 540 on a 2 seater is ridiculous. I want it to be a spacious 4 seater with room for luggage - and a 540. Doesn't appear that this iteration is that, but it's really kinda hard to tell. It seems too big for a 2 seater.

Reactions: WDD
If you want a IO-540, install a IO-540.

If you want at tailwheel RV-12, build a tailwheel RV-12

If you want manual flaps, install manual flaps.

Ha, easy to say, in theory. In practice, not very likely. You say all of that like it's a simple bolt on process to make major design changes and implement them. I would posit that most builders have neither the time, knowledge, or skill to go down that road. Heck, I know from experience that going off plans with even simple mods can add weeks to months to the build, much less something that might require significant re-design and analysis to make it work safely.

But the people around the RVs are those who own one themselves or who are interested in building one. Us other types get the babes and the kids... :)Ron Wanttaja

Probably better stated that you get the woman with the kids i.e. "the package deal" :)

I just try to hang out with the cool planes and hope to get noticed ...

upload_2022-7-12_14-28-41.png

Probably better stated that you get the woman with the kids i.e. "the package deal" :)
Moms *and* Dads, and the dads usually want to sit in the airplane, too.

Had a number of fine young ladies come by to sit in the airplane...generally don't take their pictures, because it would just seem, uhhh, creepy.

The teenage boys don't seem to mind.
arl2.JPG

Ron Wanttaja

Some 360s and 320s have a front governor pad as well.

Some 360s and 320s have a front governor pad as well.

True, but the 360 (M1B & A1B6) and 320 (D2G) models Van’s sells under their Lycoming OEM contract have rear mounted prop gov pads, while their 390 (A3B6) has the front mounted pad so odds are it’s a 390.

I wasn't impressed with the first aerial video, but the hangar shots are growing on me a bit - maybe it's the oversized tires.

Will be interesting to see what they reveal at OSH in a couple of weeks - devil will be in the details and it's always interesting to see how many details they are willing to share.

I was hoping for electric retractable slats and double slotted flaps to really push the envelope forward but oh well.

The design is growing on me but I really don’t like the looks of the stubby nose when viewed from the side. A PBS TP100 would fix that nicely. :)

I was hoping for electric retractable slats and double slotted flaps to really push the envelope forward but oh well.

The design is growing on me but I really don’t like the looks of the stubby nose when viewed from the side. A PBS TP100 would fix that nicely. :)
Again with that engine? It burns 18+gallons per hour in cruise. And it's only 240hp. Not to mention some CG issues that would arise at this stage in development. And the cost of the engine alone is probably in the 80k neighborhood if not more. Van's knows better.

Probably not long until kit planes are unaffordable for most pilots. Seems every year it's farther and farther out of reach for more people.

Isn't the average 2 seat Van's upward of $200K+ when built? Seems like 2x to 2.5x the kit price for a finished plane. I remember fawning over a factory new 2004 Cessna 182T for $220K.

Van's planes are pretty barebones and many with austere interiors, meaning many pilots have squeezed cost out to get down to 2x the kit price for finished planes.

(next 3 posts are examples of "I knew a guy" who built an RV-x for $120K)

Last edited:
Probably not long until kit planes are unaffordable for most pilots. Seems every year it's farther and farther out of reach for more people.

Isn't the average 2 seat Van's upward of $200K+ when built? Seems like 2x to 2.5x the kit price for a finished plane. I remember fawning over a factory new 2004 Cessna 182T for $220K.

Van's planes are pretty barebones and many with austere interiors, meaning many pilots have squeezed cost out to get down to 2x the kit price for finished planes.

(next 3 posts are examples of "I knew a guy" who built an RV-x for $120K)
I think we have already reached that point affordability wise. If you design an airplane that takes considerable skill and equipment to build you further restrict that potential market. They have found a sweet spot of fabrication and profit that gives them the widest market. I think you could still build an RV7 for under 100k if you are willing to do the work your self, stick with minimum VFR avionics, and source a used engine to be rebuilt or used as is. Of course there are plenty of aircraft plans out there if you want to build from scratch and trade your time for money.

I will add that there are a constant stream of partially finished kits and components. If you are patient you could probably gather all the components to build an RV on the used market for a fraction of buying a new kit.

I think we have already reached that point affordability wise. If you design an airplane that takes considerable skill and equipment to build you further restrict that potential market. They have found a sweet spot of fabrication and profit that gives them the widest market. I think you could still build an RV7 for under 100k if you are willing to do the work your self, stick with minimum VFR avionics, and source a used engine to be rebuilt or used as is. Of course there are plenty of aircraft plans out there if you want to build from scratch and trade your time for money.

I will add that there are a constant stream of partially finished kits and components. If you are patient you could probably gather all the components to build an RV on the used market for a fraction of buying a new kit.
you hit it right on, the homebuilt market has changed over the years. in the seventies and eighties, the homebuilt group was building unique, new concept, cheap, or just to see if it could be done. the build process was a lot of times the main goal as much as having an aircraft. it was mostly built from plans or very basic kits, by people that wanted to build to build and have something different. that has mostly changed to a group that wants faster, quick build, new everything, and the newest and greatest gadgets out there. the group as a whole has more money and less time that the past. there is less and less "experimental" in experimental now days. they want put tab b in slot a and don't even dare to add bracket c unless the manual calls for it. when I built my RV-4 there really wasn't a manual, just read the plans and try to figure it out. it is somewhat funny sometimes what some of the people call vans support about. I would rather have the old days, but it is what it is. this shift has caused prices to climb, and drive out the unique designs. most builders now, would cringe at the idea of using a used engine, they will gladly shell out 50k for a brand new engine. its amazing how many RV's are built with a full IFR panel with a garmin 750 by a VFR only pilot that will never get an instrument rating. it is what it is and the market follows that.

The E-AB customer base is now shaped like bell curve. On one end are the plans built guys (the pure true builders IMO) that were the foundation of the community until the advent of popular complete kits in the 90’s. They still exist—guys are out there building Hatz’s, Pietenpols, plans only versions of Bearhawks, etc. The majority are the kit builders who stick to the plans, maybe incorporate small mods here and there, but are content to let the kit manufacturers do the heavy lifting on design, testing, and fabrication (particularly where a particular skill or equipment is needed such as for weldments). The kit builder community taken in isolation is a bell curve too as there’s some who do delve into experimentation and some who basically have someone build their plane for them for the most part. Finally at the other end of the spectrum from the plans guys are the buyers who don’t want to build at all but like the economics and/or performance that E-AB aircraft present compared to liked aged standard certificated aircraft or want something that simply doesn’t exist in the standard certificated market. The market supports the entire curve which means you can pay as much or as little as you like (within reason) depending on what your goals are and what you’re willing to invest in time and sweat equity vs money.

Last edited:
Back