Which is the better FBO job? Front Desk or Line Tech / Fueler?

justin jiron

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Punkwood2k
I am trying to decide between two jobs at different FBO's

Option 1 is a Line Tech / Refueler at a smaller (local) FBO company (but the largest FBO at the airport). LOTS of business jets, & smattering of charters come through there.

Option 2 is Front Desk / Customer Service at a VERY large FBO corporation (worldwide), but smaller & more niche at this airport.. and has a Charter carrier that uses them exclusively.

Both pay the same, and not concerned about working outdoors for the Line Tech option..

Which one would I get the most exposure & networking opportunities, for future pilot job?

Thanks for your opinions!!!

Last edited:
Networking and exposure for what?

What is your goal?

Well, to get paid for flying people around, of course, lol! Aiming more for a business jet or charter operation pilot at the moment. But still have a couple years of time-building before its really a needed decision.. (edited my post to include the goal, thank you)

Being a line tech was easily my favorite non-flying job. Our operation was small enough (4-10 pm the line tech was the only employee there) that I did both refueling and behind the desk work.

If I had to choose between the two I enjoyed being outside working with the planes more than sitting behind the desk mashing the keyboard.

I'd rather be outside working with and around airplanes. My impression was that a front desk job wouldn't be much different than working front desk at a hotel, car rental agency, really any other service/sales rep job

I did work a few jobs around planes, fueling, etc. Enjoyed it

Line for networking. You're the first one to interface with the crew. I always remember the fuel guy that met me at the plane door, way over whoever was inside waiting to gig me with a ramp fee :D More favorably also, under the circumstances.

Line for networking. You're the first one to interface with the crew. I always remember the fuel guy that met me at the plane door, way over whoever was inside waiting to gig me with a ramp fee :D More favorably also, under the circumstances.

So you were checking out the line dudes vs the hottie at the front desk? NTTAWWT. I just happen to remember the fine looking honeys vs a dude smelling like Jet A and 100LL.

In my experience, it is usually easy to spot the pilots who have line experience. Do you want to be one of those guys or just another pilot? Networking opportunities are generally better working the line as well.

So you were checking out the line dudes vs the hottie at the front desk? NTTAWWT. I just happen to remember the fine looking honeys vs a dude smelling like Jet A and 100LL.

Don't yuck my yum :p :D

Work with people or work with airplanes and pilots….what decisions…

Can't we have both?

I would take the line position because you won’t have to listen to pilots complaining about the fuel price and ramp fees.

Line. And you are correct - this is an excellent place for networking to get your first paying pilot job.

My son is flying for a commercial charter operation that he was exposed to as a line jockey fueling up their planes.

The front desk doesn't get to stand in front of a GV at the crack of dawn, engines roaring, pilots and crew waiting to get underway. The landing light flashes, just once, and all of it is waiting for one last thing - your permission. Take just a second for yourself, breathe it in, and then marshal them out and finish with a salute. And try not to make smelling the exhaust as they turn past you too obvious ;)

I love flying drones, but deep down I really miss line service. Being up close and personal with aircraft.

Last edited:
The front desk doesn't get to stand in front of a GV crack of dawn, engines roaring, pilots and crew waiting to get underway. The landing light flashes, just once, and all of it is waiting for one last thing - your permission. Take just a second for yourself, breathe it in, and then marshal them out and finish with a salute. And try not to make smelling the exhaust as they turn past you too obvious ;)

I love flying drones, but deep down I really miss line service. Being up close and personal with aircraft.
Wow.. Thats like a... Penthouse Forum-esque job description there.. Thats a deal closer if I ever heard it.. Case settled... I'll be in my bunk..

Working the line is a lot more fun. Got my first flying job thanks to networking at that job. Ironically enough I may go back to line service for a month or so while I wait for a class date at an airline.

Get hot/cold/wet and smelly or being a office dweeb....... Not a chance I’d work as an office dweeb unless that was the only position I could find to get in the door.

I have no experience in this from an aviation perspective. I can tell you that I prefer working with those that have some degree of hands on experience. With that being said, the desk job does add value to your experience bucket, anyway you can do both or be an office backup (e.g. when someone is out sick, vacation, etc) for the office job? The variety in interpersonal skill experience gained from both rolls with have value.

Are you a decent looking female with a great personality and a bright smile? Can you tell someone to GFYS while smiling and they actually smile back? Can you deal with a screaming child flipping dirt out of the potted plants and watch their parents do nothing about it knowing YOU are going to be cleaning it up? Do you have no desire to earn a tip? Do you like making coffee and cookies constantly? How about being told what to do by corporate pilots over the Unicom as if they are your boss and you are a subordinate to "The Boss" in the back of the aircraft? Can you answer phones, type on the computer, yell at the line boy on the radio all at once?

I'm sure their is more to it, but I'd take the line all day long.

Are you a decent looking female with a great personality and a bright smile? Can you tell someone to GFYS while smiling and they actually smile back? Can you deal with a screaming child flipping dirt out of the potted plants and watch their parents do nothing about it knowing YOU are going to be cleaning it up? Do you have no desire to earn a tip? Do you like making coffee and cookies constantly? How about being told what to do by corporate pilots over the Unicom as if they are your boss and you are a subordinate to "The Boss" in the back of the aircraft? Can you answer phones, type on the computer, yell at the line boy on the radio all at once?

I'm sure their is more to it, but I'd take the line all day long.
:yeahthat:

Does anyone know what the pay is for the front desk job? Asking for a friend

....From the line guy?
Ha! No... not typically. At least not the girl at the airport when I was a line guy. She only dated pilots. I wasn't one at the time. And she liked the ones that had expensive planes. She was a hottie though and she knew it. But she was a sweet person as well. She just had her preferences, which we all do, and the line guys and mechanics weren't hers.

One of the most fun jobs I ever had was working the refuel island. I got to touch some really cool airplanes and bum lots of rides I never would have had otherwise.

That's also how I met a very young Patty Wagstaff.

The pay was terrible, but it payed for my post-solo flight time and Pvt. checkride.

I was a line monkey for years as a teenager.
It was at a seaplane base with not much of a land base operation (1200 ft runway, one way in and out), so not much to do in the winter.
As I got older I helped out in the MX hanger. Learned a lot.
Most fun I ever had, working.

I am trying to decide between two jobs at different FBO's

Option 1 is a Line Tech / Refueler at a smaller (local) FBO company (but the largest FBO at the airport). LOTS of business jets, & smattering of charters come through there.

Option 2 is Front Desk / Customer Service at a VERY large FBO corporation (worldwide), but smaller & more niche at this airport.. and has a Charter carrier that uses them exclusively.

for future pilot job?

Thanks for your opinions!!!
Is this an April Fool?

Literal answer is neither you need a highly paid job to fund airline transport pilot license training costs. Sorry to be direct if you are serious.

Well, my experience isn't quite the same as I was a new mechanic and filled in as a line guy at the very small local FBO. It paid for my entire PPL and I got the chance to fuel an Oshkosh Grand Champion Corsair and jump start a P-51, both things I'd never have done in any other position. In case you wondered, the external power plug on the mustang is inside the wheel well, so I got to sit under a Merlin starting up. Had I been looking for flying contacts, the line spot was definitely better as well.

Back