My new airplane has a weird propeller. What's the deal?

Not just any Scimitar, if I recall that is a special version for Comanches (pictured vs the stated 182 RG) and those paddles supposedly increase ram air pressure ahead of the air intake, boosting power slightly.

The Cessna 184RG happens to be my favorite airplane. The gear never comes down & there's a wing spar AD that has to be done every 100 hours of flight. Otherwise it's a great airplane.

It's so you can play Cliff Claven and tell all the other pilots at the airport who ask about it what all the benefits are. That it's like a turbo, boosting your air intake, without all the extra maintenance costs. That with that propeller your plane can go faster than a Mooney, but then Mooniacs get mad, so you pull the power back a bit and save even more on fuel. :D

That's the currencias extractas flap. Replace that prop and you'll know what it does...

"So the very next day when I punched in
With my big lunchbox and with help from my friends
I left that day with a lunch box full of gears
I've never considered myself a thief
But GM wouldn't miss just one little piece
Especially if I strung it out over several years

The first day I got me a fuel pump
And the next day I got me an engine and a trunk
Then I got me a transmission and all of the chrome
The little things I could get in my big lunchbox
Like nuts, an' bolts, and all four shocks
But the big stuff we snuck out in my buddy's mobile home

Now, up to now my plan went all right
'Til we tried to put it all together one night
And that's when we noticed that something was definitely wrong
The transmission was a '53 and the motor turned out to be a '73
And when we tried to put in the bolts all the holes were gone

So we drilled it out so that it would fit
And with a little bit of help with an adapter kit
We had that engine runnin' just like a song
Now the headlight' was another sight
We had two on the left and one on the right
But when we pulled out the switch all three of 'em come on..."

--Johnny Cash, Wayne Kemp

Not just any Scimitar, if I recall that is a special version for Comanches (pictured vs the stated 182 RG) and those paddles supposedly increase ram air pressure ahead of the air intake, boosting power slightly.

YEah, I was kidding about the model
There’s an AD on props with those tabs. They have to come off every 10 hours and be inspected. Common fail point…hope you got a good deal. :);)

Where’s the pics of the rest of your new bird?!?

I'm going to pick it up tonight. I will have photos tomorrow. I will try to share them but I am coming home to house full of family so I may be off the grid a bit.

that's a high wing prop on a low wing 182. very rare to see this combination out in the wild.

That was one of the LoPresti GTO speed mods as I recall. It’s supposed to force more air into the engine.

Looks like this plane has most of the speed mods I have read about.
I don't think it will keep up with the Cirrus but I bet it's not too far off.

Looks like this plane has most of the speed mods I have read about.
I don't think it will keep up with the Cirrus but I bet it's not too far off.

From the picture it doesn't have the Lopresti or Eagle cowl modification but most Comanches cruise at 150-160kts all day long even without the cowl modification. I've seen real world SR22 numbers of 170kts.

Btw, welcome to the tribe.

You will love the Comanche, and that wing.

You'll love the wing until you come in too fast over the numbers and it refuses to land, or too slow and it lands before you're ready. ;)

I'm told the root fairing mod helps with the latter a bit.

The wing root fairing does help lessen the Comanche plonk. Good looking Comanche there and it's a pretty rare bird. 61 was the first year for 90 gallons of fuel but still having manual flaps instead of the electric flaps. They have the highest useful load of any 250 Comanche.

I thought that Hartzell prop was only allowed on the 260 engine with the different crank counterweights. Does this have an IO-540 upgrade or did they install the counterweights on the O-540?

Welcome to the tribe.

Sweet... congratulations!

I hope this is real, because comanches are awesome.

Where's @EdFred when we need him?

The wing root fairing does help lessen the Comanche plonk. Good looking Comanche there and it's a pretty rare bird. 61 was the first year for 90 gallons of fuel but still having manual flaps instead of the electric flaps. They have the highest useful load of any 250 Comanche.

Welcome to the tribe.

Thanks. Yeah, this looks like it will do everything I ask of it.
90 Gallons, 1180 Useful, 155 Kts, and a significant ceiling and climb over the Grumman.
I have a list of upgrades I want to make over the next couple years. If I find myself bored and rich, I am told I can add tip tanks and add 200 lbs more useful load and 120 gallons.

Sweet... congratulations!

I hope this is real, because comanches are awesome.

Where's @EdFred when we need him?

It better be for real. I just wrote a big check to the current owner and another to the insurance company.
That zero retract time kicked me in the pocket book.

I just wrote a big check to the current owner and another to the insurance company.
That zero retract time kicked me in the pocket book.
Tell me about it....

I thought maybe you were pranking us and we'd start getting USB dongles in the mail.

I am told I can add tip tanks and add 200 lbs more useful load and 120 gallons.

120 gallons of fuel will go a long way burning 13.5-14 gallons an hour. Gami in Ada,OK bought the Comanche Osborne tip tank STC and the last rumor I heard they were modifying it to make the Comanche design more compatible with the Beech tip tanks for ease of parts availability.

Quite the upgrade from the Grumman! Congrats!

Very nice! If you already have the 90 gallon wings, I probably wouldn't worry about the tip tanks. You have 6 hours of fuel onboard at 155kts. I don't know your mission, but I bet you can do about anything you want with that. From here in Iowa we can get nearly anywhere between the Rockies and Appalachians non-stop. My personal endurance is less than the airplanes.

I love the 250 Comanche (<-Hence the screenname). It is a great travelling machine and a great handling airplane. Don't let the landing rumors frighten you, its not that hard to land well.

Man, it's like everybody's buying Comanches these days. A few weeks ago I went up to go get one with another buyer, and did his insurance-required training over the next few days.

@SixPapaCharlie , I think his times and such were similar to yours, but he didn't have the Cirrus time you have. What is insurance requiring for your checkout? He needed 10 hours.

Back