STL Approach and Departure

Notatestpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Notatestpilot
When is it permitted to call Saint Louis Approach or departure ‘Gateway’ Appraoch or Departure?
I have heard of an airliner call Gateway instead of the typical St Louis App/dep...
please let me know.
Thanks.

What do they normally respond with? In all reality, it probably doesn’t matter an ounce.

I don't see any official reference calling it "Gateway Approach" in any of the usual spots. A/FD, instrument approach charts, etc. For example:

upload_2021-9-27_21-16-49.png

Perhaps "Gateway Approach" was a term used years ago and the airline pilot you heard was just being nostalgic?

Been through STL airspace a lot and I haven't heard it either.

It probably doesn't matter though, as mentioned above I don't think they care beyond any possible confusion. Sometimes when getting passed over to a new center I forget what the name of it was and I just call "center" and they'll reply with the correct nomenclature.

I doubt that they care. I have flown a lot in StL and never heard it myself.

you can probably call them Fred.
ATC only responds to pilots who speak robotically with proper lingo, so I doubt that would work. ;)

When is it permitted to call Saint Louis Approach or departure ‘Gateway’ Appraoch or Departure?
I have heard of an airliner call Gateway instead of the typical St Louis App/dep...
please let me know.
Thanks.
If you are going to fly through the Arch, Gateway would be the one to use:goofy:

Last edited:
I call them “St Louis Approach.”

But you know, it’s a fairly sleepy place in the radio spectrum. There can’t be many Class B Approaches that are less busy. Surely they’ve got enough time to entertain the question, “how should I call you?”

I call them “St Louis Approach.”

But you know, it’s a fairly sleepy place in the radio spectrum. There can’t be many Class B Approaches that are less busy. Surely they’ve got enough time to entertain the question, “how should I call you?”

MCI is not far behind them..as far as “sleepy.” Not quite what I’m used to with most my time at MDW and ORD, stateside at least.

I’m in Saint Louis. I can’t remember the Tracon approach / departure folks calling themselves Gateway. Maybe that was the case longer ago than my 30+ years of flying here. There is the Gateway Departure procedure.

On a similar vein, in Connecticut and parts of Massachusetts, the IP approach plates refer to "Yankee Approach," but I have never heard anyone use that term -- I've always heard (and used) "Bradley Approach" (for Bradley Airport KBDL).

Never heard gateway approach. Probably doesn’t matter. I just say “approach” or “departure” and omit the name usually.

I have done that when I forgot where I was going...

I do know that calling Phoenix approach Albuquerque is usually met with silence... :lol:

I still like to call "Dayton approach" occasionally, to remind those Columbus folks know who invented aviation.

Back