An Airline for the Rich?

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
‘Uber Air’: Co-founder of the city car app has launched his own airline, Aero

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/ne...has-launched-his-own-airline-aero/ar-BB1daTIX

Mr Camp describes the concept as: “A travel service provider inspired by the golden age of aviation, designed for modern life [with] semi-private jet flights to the world's most in-demand destinations”.

The first flight is due to depart from Van Nuys airport, northwest of Hollywood, to the Colorado ski resort of Aspen at 11am on Thursday 4 February. The introductory fare for the one hour 50 minute flight, covering 731 miles, is $990 (£730).

On a nonstop flight half an hour later, American Airlines is offering the trip from Los Angeles International (LAX) to Aspen for barely one-third as much: $341 (£250).

Aero’s fares in March and April increase to $1,250 (£917).

But the new airline claims it is “ready when you are” and offers the chance for passengers to “fly smarter and safer” in small jets with just 16 seats.

Aero promises “crowd-free private airports and lounges” together with “spacious cabins” for a “low-contact getaway”.​

Bet if they pulled for AA’s first class fares the price would be more comparable. They’re not aiming for us schlubs who fly coach.

They probably are chartering a clapped out Hawker or Gulfstream and are piling as many people into it as they can. Nothing new here, just a different name.

They are using the E-135, a shorter version of the 50-seat E-145 regional jet. I believe their paint scheme is mostly black.

E135.jpg

Didn't someone try to run a 'busines class only' NYC to London shuttle ?

I guess the Concorde was successful for a while, but at least it had the advantage of being a lot faster. Was it a subsidized operation?

British Airways used to do this with A318 aircraft - 32 seats total. They discontinued it last summer due to COVID.

BA set up a subsidiary a few years ago that went NYC-London and Paris, they also ran a couple of days a week IAD-Paris.

Hmmm. Co-founder of Uber.
Maybe we need to update that old saying to "How to make a $ Billion in aviation? Start with $2 Billion."

Also tried in Dallas. Failed.

Commercial air travel now is mask hades in addition to the garbage user experience. The best that can be done is PreCheck and 1st class.

Seems like a great option for the jet/turboprop legs that are cost prohibitive to own or charter.

Fly your plane to the departure airport? First class prices and skip the hub airports - yes, please!

The first time Singapore Air introduced their non-stops from Newark to Singapore, the aircraft were all Business Class.
When they rebooted the route a year or two ago, they did have coach seating as well.

How does "semi-private" mesh with "ready when you are”? I don't want to sit on the ramp for an hour because some other schmuck on the flight decided he would take his time getting there.

Also, note the article states that the airline has an unusual vision, which asserts: “Traveling with Aero is not merely flying – it is an event."

barf. But they explain...

"“We believe a life well lived is not about getting from A to B. It's about getting the most from the entire journey. We value curation over endless selection, authenticity over influence, and ease over extravagance because we are committed to making your travel experience exceptional from the moment you are inspired to take a trip."

Let me translate Millenial/Gen Y hipster speak for those of y'all who might struggle with this:

It's doubtful we'll get you to your destination. Don't expect vast array of snacks, you're getting just a crappy bag of artisanal trail mix, we'll make the cabin very instagrammy so your friends will think it's a private jet, and don't plan on talking to anyone except the app you booked the flight with.

Have I ever mentioned how much I detest this generation's use of the word "curated"?

Call me crazy but isn't this what a 135 operation or something like NetJets is for?
I think the difference is that with this you can still buy a seat rather than charter a whole airplane.
Part 135 also has by the seat charters and can operate up to 4 round trip "scheduled" flights a week.
FYI: Aero doesn't appear to have an ACC/AOC so they're just a charter broker. 135/121 or 91k not directly applicable to them, but is to the operators they sell seats for.

Jetsuite X does something similar with the same airframe. They fly BUR, OAK, CCR, RNO, LAS, PHX, SNA. COVID crushed their 135 operation with Phenoms but JSX is profitable and still operating. Now competitors are trying to get in on the game. You should see their FBOs. The one at PHX is impressive- designed by top designers, art displays. Tasteful without being opulent. But certainly not for Joe Sixpack like you and me.

https://www.jsx.com/home/search

Last edited:
Yeah, but the rich keep getting richer at the expense of the little people. It might work now.
The question in my mind is whether this company's offerings will be sufficiently attractive to the people who can afford it.

Last edited:
Not trying to insult anyone but there are 135 twin turbine operators all over, almost like used car dealers lol.

Seems like a fairly crowded market. Anything from worn out junk to brand new aircraft.

Not trying to insult anyone but there are 135 twin turbine operators all over, almost like used car dealers lol.

Seems like a fairly crowded market. Anything from worn out junk to brand new aircraft.
More like independent used car dealers that have internal financing with no credit requirements

I think the difference is that with this you can still buy a seat rather than charter a whole airplane.
Plus they are scheduled service, and, according to the article, only operate 4 times per week.

FYI: Aero doesn't appear to have an ACC/AOC so they're just a charter broker. 135/121 or 91k not directly applicable to them, but is to the operators they sell seats for.
So they’re scheduling 4 flights a week, selling “other people’s” airplanes by the seat when “other people” are selling the whole airplane.

Sounds to me like a sure way to go under.

Have I ever mentioned how much I detest this generation's use of the word "curated"?
It’s the most curated word.

So they’re scheduling 4 flights a week, selling “other people’s” airplanes by the seat when “other people” are selling the whole airplane.

Sounds to me like a sure way to go under.
I haven’t had time to read everything on this, and I don’t know much about charters since I can’t afford to charter someone else’s plane or to pay the insurance premiums to let others charter my plane. But ... are they just chartering a whole plane and then re-selling the seats to a bunch of strangers? And then marketing it as if they’re geniuses who didn’t just get the idea from Stubhub and/or every teppanyaki restaurant?

Last edited:
They are contracting a charter company for the aircraft and crew. If it get's successful (doubtful) then the next move is to acquire a certificate and aircraft to operate in house, or to continue brokering by shopping for the cheapest contractor.

Like I said earlier, this has been tried and failed multiple times. What they really want is an "Uber" type situation to circumvent those pesky FAA regulations and open the market up to anyone with an aircraft.

are they just chartering a whole plane and then re-selling the seats to a bunch of strangers?
In general, think of a charter broker as a travel agent for private aircraft flights. Brokers usually have agreements/contracts with various charter operators but can be exclusive to one operator. Some charter operators also separately provide broker services for their clients. And since a broker is not regulated anybody can get in the business which is why most fail.

However, there are some long time brokers that have succeeded but they defined their market and get the repeat business. One such broker is Blade out of NYC. They started with helicopter flights around the city then expanded into fixed wing. They're also a TSA Indirect Air Carrier and have expanded outside the state and country. But Blade has major money behind it and is slated to go public this year. So they're the exception rather than the norm. But Blade is just another broker in a previous line of brokers that failed in the same market. Time will tell.

Also tried in Dallas. Failed.
That was Legend out of Love and they only failed because American matched their schedule but flew their flights at a loss. As soon as Legend went out of business AA pulled out of their flights.

Back