Your thoughts about going to Oshkosh

Are you going to Oshkosh?

• Total voters

Strutwipe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Strutwipe
As of today, AirVenture is still a go! I received an email from EAA administrator that the EAA board will not make any decision on the event till the first week of May. So I would like to ask the Forum this question, if AirVenture is a go, will you go?

Yes, but I wish they would push a month! Better for my schedule. And I’m important! Or at least that’s what essential means to my boss. Means expendable to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We attended last year. Once every few years is enough for me so I had no plans of attending this year. But even if I had been planning, it is unlikely I would attend this year. No idea what the risk contracting or spreading the infection will look like then. No idea what the economy or my employment situation will look like then. If I had reservations, I would cancel them.

Probably wouldn't be going this year anyway.... But given the current situation, I'd postpone a year if I were going.

fly to the scene of the incident, or be recovered at the scene of the tragedy

Probably wouldn't be going this year anyway.... But given the current situation, I'd postpone a year if I were going.

I forgot to add... But if I WERE going, I'd stop at the Strutwipe booth, even though I don't have struts to wipe!

Not enough selections in the poll. My standard is look at the life schedule three weeks prior and start thinking about it. That will hold true this year, if it is still on.

I miss it every year due to a commitment at another event that is always on the same weekend every summer. We already postponed that event this year, so if Oshkosh is a go I very well may take advantage of the opportunity and road trip it out!

While I will take very precaution for the time being, I refuse to live an isolated bubble.

Hopefully by early May they will have enough guidance to be able to make a determination.

I've never been there, it's never been on my radar, but I wouldn't not go there because people say I shouldn't.

The dorms at the university require final payment by June 15th. So I'd wait until then to decide. If it's not cancelled earlier.

If it’s on, I’m in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not this year. Just as in the past, it typically is the week before my professional society's annual international symposium. This year we'll see what happens with the IEEE symposium, but I won't be going to Oshkosh. Again. Rats.

Even if they don't have it, as long as we're not on lockdown I'm gonna drive up to our usual piece of grass in Camp Scholler, make a margarita, and pretend it's happening. :(:drink:

I’ll probably go but I think it is extremely unlikely they will take the risk. Most large conferences in July have already been canceled including AMA in Chicago. Putting half a million people together at a time when this pandemic will likely not be completely over is too much of a risk and liability for EAA. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most large conferences in July have already been canceled including AMA in Chicago.

I can tell you because I was involved in quite a few cancelations from a planning side...many summer events/conferences are canceled not due to the potential gathering risk that may or may not be at the event time, but rather the lead up in advanced planning with vendor and sponsor commitments evaporating, then is if there is a work travel component none of that can be booked...all of that is typically secured months in advance which can't happen in time now even if there was to be an all clear by summer.

I’m guessing a number of vendors and possibly air show performers may not attend due to covid-19. The airlines will take time to ramp back up and July might be early considering tickets would need to be purchased in May or June. Makes it difficult for staff support vendors and other activities to plan with any certainty.

Not this year. Just as in the past, it typically is the week before my professional society's annual international symposium. This year we'll see what happens with the IEEE symposium, but I won't be going to Oshkosh. Again. Rats.
ACM is cancelling just about everything, so I’ll guess that IEEE will also, since some of the conferences are jointly sponsored.

I’ll be there, even if I am encouraged to just stay safe at home in my camper.

Might just be a bit different when you say "pass me a beer please" at the campground

EkmFOvdu8.jpg

ACM is cancelling just about everything, so I’ll guess that IEEE will also, since some of the conferences are jointly sponsored.

We've sent 3 options to the IEEE EMC Society BoD for what to do with the symposium the end of July. 1. Keep it as scheduled. 2. Delay it to late September / early October. 3. Cancel it and have a "virtual symposium" on-line. We will see what they tell us to do, in the meantime we operate as if there is no change to the plan. Personally, I'd be very surprised if Option 1 winds up being the choice.

We attended last year. Once every few years is enough for me so I had no plans of attending this year. But even if I had been planning, it is unlikely I would attend this year. No idea what the risk contracting or spreading the infection will look like then. No idea what the economy or my employment situation will look like then. If I had reservations, I would cancel them.

I'm with you. Attended the last three years, and was planning on skipping this year anyway. COVID-19 reinforced my decision.

Odds are this will mark the first time in two decades that I don’t attend. The COVID19 could easily kill my spouse. If it’s still around (and I have good reason to think it will be) I’m not getting together with thousands of others, especially when I won’t even be able to fly myself home if I fall ill.

No way I'm going to join a crowd of 500k people anywhere this summer.
It's a different world, and it's going to be quite a long time before it returns to normal (if ever)!

Not me. Why ruin a perfect non-attendance record.??

Actually, I would like to go sometime. It is dealing with the crowds and logistics that keep me away.

Not me. Why ruin a perfect non-attendance record.??

Actually, I would like to go sometime. It is dealing with the crowds and logistics that keep me away.

You mean, other than the shooting how was the play Mrs. Lincoln? :D

P.S. I'm 100% with ya, I'm not a crowd person either, I'm just giving ya some chit. Cheers! ;)

If there are enough hotel cancellations that rooms become reasonably available and I can figure out how to make the scheduling work I would like to.

Thank you all for your stimulating perspectives. From a vendor’s view, I really enjoy interacting with all aviators at these events. Please, regardless if you purchase my StrutWipe or not, stop by and say Hi!

I’m at a crossroads on Oshkosh. The vendors spend a lot of time, money, and resources on these events. Purchasing the booths, lodgings, freight, airline tickets, and all the other crap that nickels and dimes you to death took place back in October. On the other side, EAA depends on AirVenture to fund their projects, which we all believe in. Furthermore, the local economy benefits from the influx of $100 plus million. With this said, is it worth one life? According to the poll, even if AirVenture goes on, I would surmise that only 50% of past attendees would attend.

I personally believe that this virus is synthetic and those responsible should be held accountable.

All around, a true tragedy.

I personally believe that this virus is synthetic and those responsible should be held accountable.

All around, a true tragedy.
You personally believe nonsense. We’re it a synthetic virus it would leave fingerprints visible to any geneticist. It came from Folks eating bush meat, just like Ebola, SARS, MERS, HIV, and most of the other emerging viruses. It was our bad luck that this one was nastier and came at a time of poor leadership in pandemic control.

Steingar, who does happen to have a PhD in this stuff. Even taught a virology course.

No way I'm going to join a crowd of 500k people anywhere this summer.
It's a different world, and it's going to be quite a long time before it returns to normal (if ever)!

You shall stay home until further notice then and wait for the green light from your local political supervisor.
Sounds quite thrilling.

Back