Your thoughts about going to Oshkosh

Are you going to Oshkosh?

• Total voters
Thank you all for your stimulating perspectives. From a vendor’s view, I really enjoy interacting with all aviators at these events. Please, regardless if you purchase my StrutWipe or not, stop by and say Hi!

I’m at a crossroads on Oshkosh. The vendors spend a lot of time, money, and resources on these events. Purchasing the booths, lodgings, freight, airline tickets, and all the other crap that nickels and dimes you to death took place back in October. On the other side, EAA depends on AirVenture to fund their projects, which we all believe in. Furthermore, the local economy benefits from the influx of $100 plus million. With this said, is it worth one life? According to the poll, even if AirVenture goes on, I would surmise that only 50% of past attendees would attend.

I personally believe that this virus is synthetic and those responsible should be held accountable.

All around, a true tragedy.

Not gonna happen this year, may as well forget it.
Even if they were to stop the panic now, forget the pandemic - there are already tens of millions of victims of “the cure” itself , right now burning thru their life savings or getting deeper into debt ever week this goes on - who is going to have money for a trip to Oshkosh after all of that ?

I'm at the beginning of the high risk age group. The virus would probably knock me on my butt for 2 weeks. My wife is very high risk: age, lung, heart.... there is no way that I would go anywhere near a large group of people. I need to protect my health in order to protect her.

I miss it every year due to a commitment at another event that is always on the same weekend every summer. We already postponed that event this year, so if Oshkosh is a go I very well may take advantage of the opportunity and road trip it out!

While I will take very precaution for the time being, I refuse to live an isolated bubble.

Hopefully by early May they will have enough guidance to be able to make a determination.

My youngest sons birthday is the 24th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You personally believe nonsense. We’re it a synthetic virus it would leave fingerprints visible to any geneticist. It came from Folks eating bush meat, just like Ebola, SARS, MERS, HIV, and most of the other emerging viruses. It was our bad luck that this one was nastier and came at a time of poor leadership in pandemic control.

Steingar, who does happen to have a PhD in this stuff. Even taught a virology course.

If you think that one person can't change the world, talk to the guy who ate the undercooked bat!

I think it went from bat to another animal first, then to humans. So the undercooked bat just tasted good to someone, but didn’t give them Covid-19. I am not sure what animal it jumped to, but dogs, cats, and tigers have already tested positive, so there are probably plenty of candidates.

Bats are the prefect host and have lots of viruses inside them. One reason that is presumed is that they actually have quite weak immune systems and don’t attack the viruses that much. But the weak attack also means that the bats don’t suffer the deadly symptoms of immune system response that we are experiencing. It was described that the young and healthy people dying from Covid are suffering cytokine storms - something mentioned here that could happen if given a vaccine that was not fully tested and rushed to market too quickly (and do not take this to mean that vaccines are bad - they are amazing life saving things). Bats can’t get cytokine storms because their immune system is not up to the task of that type of response.

It was our bad luck that this one was nastier and came at a time of poor leadership in pandemic control.

Steingar, who does happen to have a PhD in this stuff. Even taught a virology course.

Agreed, thank God the US stopped listening to those international leaders and started travel bans when it did, or it would have been much worse for us.

Actually, I would like to go sometime. It is dealing with the crowds and logistics that keep me away.

I felt the same way, until I bit the bullet in 2018. I was very impressed with the camp ground and all of the facillities. Lots of humanity, but everyone seemed civil and helpful. Lots of bikes and every conceivable form of powered transport.

I will go again, just not this year!

Back