When Is A VFR Bravo Clearance Officially Ended?

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
Yesterday I was flying back home from Duluth. Cool to see the big lake not frozen over. Saw 4 Vision Jets including passing about 700ft below one. Kinda look like a inverted F4 from behind at a distance. I diverge.

On the way back my straight line course had me going through the MSP Bravo starting with a [10,6] entry then [10,4] and finally [10,7]. I was on FF the whole way and was cleared into the Bravo about 25 miles out. I was flying at 6500.

As I neared the [10,6] she asked me to go down to 4500 for separation no problem. So I will start in the Bravo and then end up outside (below) it.

As I entered the [10,6] she asked to fly AT OR BELOW 4000.

By the time I reached the [10,4] I was purposely flying at 3800 so still outside (under) the Bravo. That lasted about 3 minutes and then she said I could resume altitude so I started a climb back up to 4500 putting me back into the [10,4] area.

I was then handed off to approach and when I checked in he said maintain VFR and remain outside the Bravo..???? So I started turning right and descending - crapshoot as to which would get me out soonest. Then about 20 seconds later he calls back and tells me he didnt have all the info from the handoff from center and I am still cleared into the Bravo and apologizes Okay, that makes more sense.

Eventually I have exited the Bravo and he tells me I am now clear of the Bravo, maintain VFR, etc.

I have been through many times. I think this one was a bit weird due to traffic circumstances. But I dont recollect always hearing a specific phrase once I am clear.

Is there a specific phrase we are supposed to hear from ATC to make it clear the clearance is now ended? Or is it more implicit (unlike the clearance itself)?

That's also the first time I've been given vectors in the Bravo that had me exit (downward) and then re-enter (upward) during the same transition.

Please note: Not knocking the controllers, they've always been mega helpful and these transitions save time and fuel and teach me more about being in controlled airspace each time.

Controllers do get busy. Once clear, you're clear. If you wish to say "Goodby,"something like this will do: "N**** clear north, squawking VFR". (Or S, E, or W.)

I think this is a good question. To simplify it....

If you are cleared into the bravo, and then depart it briefly, do you still have the clearance to re-enter?

When you have the time, go to www.faa.gov and put 7110.65 in the search box. When the Air Traffic Control Order comes up, scroll down to Chapter 7 - Visual and see the phraseology that the controller is required to use. They are required to advise you when you are clear of their airspace. Never hurts to ask, though.

Bob Gardner

Last edited:
Did you ever hear, "Services terminated" or "Squawk VFR"?

I would expect I was still cleared until one (usually both) of those communications.

I would expect I was still cleared until one (usually both) of those communications.
I would too, but is it technically accurate? If you are asked to drop below the shelf and then simply told "resume altitude" is it ok to go back into the Bravo without hearing the magic words again?

I often wonder this same question with San Diego's myriad of airspace.. I think it's just whatever makes "reasonable" sense

I would too, but is it technically accurate? If you are asked to drop below the shelf and then simply told "resume altitude" is it ok to go back into the Bravo without hearing the magic words again?
It doesn't matter to me. If I leave the Bravo for any reason, including an instruction, I am going to "waste" airtime to "confirm still cleared into the Bravo."

My rule for VFR Bravo flight is to never assume a Bravo clearance, no matter how obvious the inference that I am.

When you have the time, go to www.faa.gov and put 7110.65 in the search box. When the Air Traffic Control Order comes up, scroll down to Chapter 7 - Visual and see the phraseology that the controller is required to use. They are required to advise you when you are clear of their airspace.

Sure enough, it's exactly as Bob described. I'll paste it below. However, it seems a bit unclear what the controller must say in the OP's scenario, when a previously cleared aircraft exits the Bravo with the expectation that it will re-enter it.

====================

7.9.2 VFR AIRCRAFT IN CLASS B AIRSPACE

VFR aircraft must obtain an ATC clearance to operate in Class B airspace.
REFERENCE-

FAA Order JO 7110.65, Para 2-1-18, Operational Requests.
FAA Order JO 7110.65, Para 2-4-22, Airspace Classes.

PHRASEOLOGY-

CLEARED THROUGH/TO ENTER/OUT OF BRAVO AIRSPACE,

and as appropriate,

VIA (route). MAINTAIN (altitude) WHILE IN BRAVO AIRSPACE.

or

CLEARED AS REQUESTED.

(Additional instructions, as necessary.)

REMAIN OUTSIDE BRAVO AIRSPACE. (When necessary, reason and/or additional instructions.)

NOTE-

1. Assignment of radar headings, routes, or altitudes is based on the provision that a pilot operating in accordance with VFR is expected to advise ATC if compliance will cause violation of any part of the CFR.
  2. Separation and sequencing for VFR aircraft is dependent upon radar. Efforts should be made to segregate VFR traffic from IFR traffic flows when a radar outage occurs.
  1. Approve/deny requests from VFR aircraft to operate in Class B airspace based on workload, operational limitations and traffic conditions.
  2. Inform the pilot when to expect further clearance when VFR aircraft are held either inside or outside Class B airspace.
  3. Inform VFR aircraft when leaving Class B airspace.
PHRASEOLOGY-

LEAVING (name) BRAVO AIRSPACE,

and as appropriate,

RESUME OWN NAVIGATION, REMAIN THIS FREQUENCY FOR TRAFFIC ADVISORIES, RADAR SERVICE TERMINATED, SQUAWK ONE TWO ZERO ZERO.

Yep. "Radar services terminated, squawk 1200" is a clue you have definitely been cut loose. If they keep you on your clearance squawk, and have not specifically informed you that you have left bravo airspace, you can (probably) assume your clearance is still active. But of course for clarity, you can always inquire of ATC. I would not assume a VFR clearance back in once leaving Bravo airspace. ATC should make it clear if your clearance remains in effect if your route of flight is predicted to briefly exit and then re-enter Bravo airspace. Usually flights go in or go out once only.

If you participate in the system, which you always should, they can give you vectors. This is regardless of airspace. Until they tell you services are terminated, they are providing services. You can cancel.

No not during the time in question as I stayed on with them for another 40 miles or so after really clearing the Bravo. They are great and unless really busy will keep you on until about 12...15 miles out. Just enough time for one last round of traffic calls (frequent at our airport on nice days) and then enough time for me to make a 10 mile unicom call for arrival.

It doesn't matter to me. If I leave the Bravo for any reason, including an instruction, I am going to "waste" airtime to "confirm still cleared into the Bravo."

My rule for VFR Bravo flight is to never assume a Bravo clearance, no matter how obvious the inference that I am.
actually I was going to ask but figured I better get on clearing first of that was more important. There was some other chatter and he called me back clarifying things before I could even ask him. I was definitely going to ask when i had time.

If you participate in the system, which you always should, they can give you vectors. This is regardless of airspace. Until they tell you services are terminated, they are providing services. You can cancel.
This was my thinking as well.

There's just too many scenarios but the obvious end of the clearance is landing at Bravo airport.

Heck, even the handoff from approach to a underlying delta could be gray once you have left the Bravo, enter their space and talk to the deltas ctaf. I would think in that case your Bravo clearance is implicitly ended. I think in some cases I have been handed off while still in the Bravo but not yet inside the delta airspace. So that is a time where the delta controller is running you yet in Bravo airspace. I think I have had that happen twice on Bravo clearances to KSTP from the north side.

I think this is a good question. To simplify it....

If you are cleared into the bravo, and then depart it briefly, do you still have the clearance to re-enter?
In the real world, when in doubt, confirm. Simple solution to minor problem, no need to get academic about it unless that’s the point of the discussion.

In the real world, when in doubt, confirm. Simple solution to minor problem, no need to get academic about it unless that’s the point of the discussion.
Typically the point of a discussion is to discuss.

I was then handed off to approach and when I checked in he said maintain VFR and remain outside the Bravo..???? So I started turning right and descending - crapshoot as to which would get me out soonest. Then about 20 seconds later he calls back and tells me he didnt have all the info from the handoff from center and I am still cleared into the Bravo and apologizes Okay, that makes more sense.
I would have just told the new controller that, "the previous controller gave me a Bravo clearance, verify you are rescinding it and need me to exit it?"

Only two ways that I am aware of that clear you out of a Bravo: (1) landing at an airport in the Bravo, or (2) the controller saying squawk VFR.

This was my thinking as well.

There's just too many scenarios but the obvious end of the clearance is landing at Bravo airport.

Heck, even the handoff from approach to a underlying delta could be gray once you have left the Bravo, enter their space and talk to the deltas ctaf. I would think in that case your Bravo clearance is implicitly ended. I think in some cases I have been handed off while still in the Bravo but not yet inside the delta airspace. So that is a time where the delta controller is running you yet in Bravo airspace. I think I have had that happen twice on Bravo clearances to KSTP from the north side.

It isn't a CTAF for a Class D ;-)

Only two ways that I am aware of that clear you out of a Bravo: (1) landing at an airport in the Bravo, or (2) the controller saying squawk VFR.
There has to be at least a 3rd because whenever I transition I stay on with them for the remainder of my trip which has easily been easily 100 miles and more handoffs. The section @NoHeat quoted at @bobmrg's suggestion covers that case.

I am thinking controllers might just forget once in awhile and/or I just dont recall hearing "Leaving X Bravo Airspace" or it is assumed since you have exited and the course and destination are beyond (outside) the Bravo airspace.

There has to be at least a 3rd because whenever I transition I stay on with them for the remainder of my trip which has easily been easily 100 miles and more handoffs. The section @NoHeat quoted at @bobmrg's suggestion covers that case.

I am thinking controllers might just forget once in awhile and/or I just dont recall hearing "Leaving X Bravo Airspace" or it is assumed since you have exited and the course and destination are beyond (outside) the Bravo airspace.
I usually hear "Exiting/Leaving X Bravo airspace, contact <non-Bravo controller at> Y approach/center on ###.##"

If you are staying on freq and code with FF they won’t bother mentioning that you are clear of Bravo airspace because it really doesn’t matter.

I cross through or around parts of the St Louis bravo fairly regularly. They're a bit funny about it, sometimes giving me clearance through when I'm close but clearly not going to enter it(in case?). Other times I find myself already on frequency via flight following and getting really close to the line and calling to ask and the response is something like "oh uh yeah you're cleared." Yet other days I'll get cleared and then be issued vectors and altitudes. I suppose it's down to who is working and what the traffic is looking like but on my end I never know until they tell me.

If you are staying on freq and code with FF they won’t bother mentioning that you are clear of Bravo airspace because it really doesn’t matter.

Depends. I get "leaving Los Angeles Class Bravo" once in a while. Sometimes even get "leaving San Diego Class Bravo."

Back