G5 to get TAS and other goodies like wind data

What autopilot do you have? I have a Century 2000. I’m hoping to have the flight director and GPS and AP modes as well in my G5 AI
Thanks!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GFC 500.

Question for G5 owners and instructors. What did your transition training look like? Is there a course or syllabus? I'm planning on helping a pilot with a new G5 installation feel more comfortable. I already have a few ideas and am looking for more and perhaps better ones.

I just got my 2 new G5s, there wasn't much transition training for me I read the manual and went out flying. The biggest difference for me was the location and display of the CDI and Glide slope as i was used to looking at a traditional CDI off to the right.

The other thing I would recommend is sit on the ground and go through all of the options you can get to with the knob, as some of the initial functions are not 100% apparent. (I ended up doign thsi backwards and set on the ground after my flying as could not wait to test the G5s out in the air. Below is a pic of mine in flight.

G5 Display.png

I just got my 2 new G5s, there wasn't much transition training for me I read the manual and went out flying. The biggest difference for me was the location and display of the CDI and Glide slope as i was used to looking at a traditional CDI off to the right.

The other thing I would recommend is sit on the ground and go through all of the options you can get to with the knob, as some of the initial functions are not 100% apparent. (I ended up doign thsi backwards and set on the ground after my flying as could not wait to test the G5s out in the air. Below is a pic of mine in flight.

View attachment 78738
Thank you for the suggestions. That photo is very helpful in a number of ways.

Ground track comes from GPS.
That's what I thought. But I recall flying an early G5 installation that didn't have the indicator, hence I wasn't sure if it was related (correlation != causation).

Interesting photo because in my G5 HSI the winds are shown as wind direction (degrees) and speed, not headwind, xwind. How did you set it up to show those values?

@Arrow76R good question, I'll have a look at my manuals but that is what they displayed when I picked it up. I think it maybe in the configuration mode setup of the G5, but could also be a feature of the latest software.

Another fleecing from Garmin

Don’t discount the OAT and wind component on an approach. I mean I don’t really care because the GFC500 flies approaches better than I ever did but since I talk to my plane it is nice to let it know how good it is doing and where the wind is coming from.

I checked my G5 s/w today and it is rev 6.2. In the setup mode I didn't see an option regarding the winds aloft other than units (temperature in F or C). Curious!! perhaps if someone from Garmin is reading this thread they could address the question.

Question for G5 owners and instructors. What did your transition training look like? Is there a course or syllabus? I'm planning on helping a pilot with a new G5 installation feel more comfortable. I already have a few ideas and am looking for more and perhaps better ones.

We had dual G5 installed, replacing the AI and HI in our club airplane, and we did not do any transition training. In fact, my first flight with the G5 was into IMC. The biggest thing to get used to is the glideslope indicator. Those small purple dots on the side don't grab your attention as the old cross hair indicators.

We had dual G5 installed, replacing the AI and HI in our club airplane, and we did not do any transition training. In fact, my first flight with the G5 was into IMC. The biggest thing to get used to is the glideslope indicator. Those small purple dots on the side don't grab your attention as the old cross hair indicators.
Yeah I've flown with a single G5 too and it was a non-event. But I did not use it as anything more than an AI or HSI. I'm used to the purple dot from the G1000 and other units, so "looks" is not a big deal, although you make an excellent point about the magenta dot for someone used to a glidepath needle. It's something I am used to so I might have missed it. Thank you. I have already added it to my notes for the flight.

But my flight wasn't a workout where I looked for the gotchas any setup has, especially when it comes to coupled approaches, GPSS with a particular analog autopilot, etc. That's where the "transition" needs to go.

I actually think I have my answer, although it's not close to final. It will be a series of tasks, based on experience with other setups (both real and virtual) focusing on where problems have been seen.

I would think TAS is also useful to those without GPS navigation, granted a very small sample.

I find TAS kind of critical for monitoring aircraft performance, regardless of GPS availability.

I get it on my Dynon D10A, though I have to manually input OAT. A $100 OAT probe can be wired in to do it automatically, but I’ve never been able to justify the expense.

29035395685_a8ecb5fd88.jpg

"If it was a snake..." So today I checked my G5 HSI to see why it shows wind data as direction and speed rather than headwind and crosswind components as in the photo from an OP. Turns out all I had to do was scroll the HSI to the setup page (in flight) and select wind data in headwind/cross wind mode!!! That way I can still do a PIREP using direction and speed while being able to check optimum altitude in terms of headwind/crosswind as well as during landings...

I have dual G5’s with a 480 and the 330ES transponder with OAT probe. All Garmin, but I assume the G5 cannot pull the data from the 330ES, right?

The 480 claims it can do a wind vector if it has all the data... in theory it should all be there...
Damn, we basically have the same setup except I have the GTX-33ES remote transponder! I love the setup.

I have the wind data on the G5's too. Thought it would be an awesome "geewiz" thing but honestly I could care less. The winds aloft data seems to be off by about 5-10kts and the true airspeed I always had on my steam gauge airspeed. I still cross check it and they always match.

I find the real-time wind data is helpful when shooting approaches. TAS is good if you have a fast airplane and you'd like to be reminded of that.

Wind direction and speed was also great feature to have during my PPL check ride when I was doing my simulated forced approach in the area with no ground orienteers for wind direction.
I got dual G5 with GAD13 and Davtron OAT installed. It works flawlessly.

I have the wind data on the G5's too. Thought it would be an awesome "geewiz" thing but honestly I could care less. The winds aloft data seems to be off by about 5-10kts and the true airspeed I always had on my steam gauge airspeed. I still cross check it and they always match.

How do you know the winds aloft are inaccurate?

How do you know the winds aloft are inaccurate?
Because sometimes it'll show a 40-55kt xwind, 10kt headwind but my wind correction angle is only 5-10degrees into the wind. Using the ole' wiz wheel shows that the correction angle should be triple that with 55kts from the left. In less wind, it seems more accurate though. I'm not complaining about it, just a casual observation.

It works great! I guess I expected it to calculate wind data without entering a route into the GPS.. it requires me to enter a waypoint for some reason before it provides the wind direction... still pretty slick!View attachment 76912

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you tell me the wiring configuration from the Davtron probe to gad 13 pins are. Eg. what coloured wires to what pins on the gad 13.

Can you tell me the wiring configuration from the Davtron probe to gad 13 pins are. Eg. what coloured wires to what pins on the gad 13.
W/b goes to pin 4
White goes to pin 5

Here’s the wiring diagram I did for my install.
E9B44B0B-10A2-4317-B831-AD78E28E491C.png

W/b goes to pin 4
White goes to pin 5

Here’s the wiring diagram...
Thanks for posting this!

Nauga,
who has always depended on the kindness of strangers

Because sometimes it'll show a 40-55kt xwind, 10kt headwind but my wind correction angle is only 5-10degrees into the wind. Using the ole' wiz wheel shows that the correction angle should be triple that with 55kts from the left. In less wind, it seems more accurate though. I'm not complaining about it, just a casual observation.
Sounds like it’s getting bad heading data.

RTFM (read the friendly manual) before flight. Go through the quick access menus on the ground. Go fly some enroute and practice approaches in VFR, especially if you have a legacy AP and GAD29B attached. Depending on whether you are navigating by GPS or VOR/LOC the AP/G5 configs are different and require a bit of coordinated button pushing. The actual scan transition is very easy, but I keep forgetting that I have excellent ALT and ASI info on the G5. And it's irritating to have to adjust the barometer setting on BOTH the G5 and altimeter. (Because I have to remember to do both.) The G5s are just a joy to fly behind.

OAT probe. I have a JPI one installed inside the cowl opening, it reads 3 C higher than the unicorn and the davtron probe that was installed for G5
Sounded to me like his TAS calculation was correct, so the OAT probe would have to be correct for that to work. Maybe I misunderstood his problem.

Does anyone know if the G5 can take the OAT from a Garmin GTX 330ES with OAT probe, or do you need a second OAT probe?

OAT probe. I have a JPI one installed inside the cowl opening, it reads 3 C higher than the unicorn and the davtron probe that was installed for G5

The JPI allows correcting OAT temperature shown.

Tom

Does anyone know if the G5 can take the OAT from a Garmin GTX 330ES with OAT probe, or do you need a second OAT probe?
At least one wiring diagram in the G5 installation manual shows it taking OAT off the CAN bus, so it does not appear to require a dedicated probe. I don't know how the 330ES gets it so I can't fully answer at the moment.

Nauga,
glassy-eyed

At least one wiring diagram in the G5 installation manual shows it taking OAT off the CAN bus, so it does not appear to require a dedicated probe. I don't know how the 330ES gets it so I can't fully answer at the moment.

Nauga,
glassy-eyed
In the normal installation the G5 is getting OAT off the CAN bus from the GAD 13. My diagram shows this. I would think if something else can put the data on the bus the same way the GAD 13 does, it would be fine. What I don't know is if the 330ES can do that. My memory of a quick look at a 330 manual a long time ago is that it doesn't have a CAN interface, but I could easily be forgetting it.

Back