G5 to get TAS and other goodies like wind data

What I don't know is if the 330ES can do that. My memory of a quick look at a 330 manual a long time ago is that it doesn't have a CAN interface, but I could easily be forgetting it.
I found one online and it looks like it has ARINC 429 but no CAN bus. No telling whether the manual is current or not - it wasn't directly from Garmin.

It looks like the G5 doesn't require a dedicated OAT probe, but maybe the 330 does o_O

Nauga,
and little data hoarding

I found one online and it looks like it has ARINC 429 but no CAN bus. No telling whether the manual is current or not - it wasn't directly from Garmin.

It looks like the G5 doesn't require a dedicated OAT probe, but maybe the 330 does o_O

It also sounds like it'll now take the OAT input off the CANbus and dump it out on the ARINC 429, so maybe the G5 can feed the 330 its OAT instead of the other way around?

I have seen that even without the update, if the g5 can read OAT via the gad 29 via RS-232, it will compute and output density altitude on the data bus, but not the screen. I will be very interested to see if the output in the screen works with a non-dedicated OAT probe.

I wonder why it’s only on the ground? It has the data, why not all the time?

Limited real estate and limited use of the info at altitude.

You don't need TAS on the ground. Perhaps DALT takes its place for the purpose of declutter?

You don't need TAS on the ground. Perhaps DALT takes its place for the purpose of declutter?

Nopes, from the screenshot I saw DALT is on the down right corner

Limited real estate and limited use of the info at altitude.

The HSI has lot of unused real estate that they can use, in fact the screenshot on garmin s website shows it on the HSI page, agree it’s limited use at Alt, but approaching a high DA airport on a hot humid day, it would be cool to have that information

Density altitude is available on the HSI version of the G5 BUT ONLY for the "experimental" implementation :( I hope Garmin can make it available for certified aircraft installs too.

Density altitude is available on the HSI version of the G5 BUT ONLY for the "experimental" implementation :( I hope Garmin can make it available for certified aircraft installs too.

They just did, announced couple of days back

After a while you get a feel for that one, though.

It’s effing hot. This airport is at 6000 MSL. We loaded so much crap in here I can’t see out the back window. DA is pushing 9000 as a guess and it’s a good thing we have 10,000’ of asphalt. :)

I kid. More numbers people will ignore on the displays is always good for pointing at from the right seat when the airplane won’t climb... :)

FYI with latest software update G5 now shows DALT on the AI screen.

some people had asked if you will need a separate OAT probe if you go with GTX 345 fr DALT.... 345 can get OAT and G5 will also act as a altitude source for 345 and you will see DALT and SAT in 345 without installing another probe somewhere

What program are you using to generate those?

I know I'm behind on catching up to this topic, but I wanted to offer another answer to this sub question - for my wiring diagrams, I used PowerPoint and copied over screen shots from the installation manuals and I used shapes (lines, mostly) and text boxes with a white solid fill to make changes that accurately reflect my installation (ie- my GNX 375 install manual shows data being sent to my GTR 225 on serial port 1. I changed that over to serial port 2 (Pins 6 AND 35? Where as it was showing pins 5 and 34) because port 1 is being used by my G5 HSI).

When ATC tells you to maintain a certain speed is NOT the time to get your whiz-wheel out to figure out TAS from IAS. As someone else pointed out the wind components are helpful to plan on which runway to use as you approach a non-weather reporting airport. In the summer my home field (6880 MSL) often has a density altitude of 10k so the DENALT display on the G5 can literally be a life saver.

This took what, a dozen or so posts before going PoA sideways?

True, and since so many people have no idea what "TAS" actually is a lot of folks scream about their GS... "I don't know man, my C172 with the 180 conversion hit 140 over the ground the other day, she's a fast plane dude!" - yeah okay

**Something I do find TAS helpful for in my case, it's a small litmus as to how healthy/happy the plane is. I should be getting right around 185 TAS at 10K somewhere around 75% power.. if I see more I'm happy, if I see less I start to worry if the plane is dirty or if I've done something wrong as far as engine management, etc.

$500 is actually not that bad.. that's what, 90 gallons of AvGas? Granted, if you have a GTN 650 it will calculate it for you with the utilities page with existing data points in your plane

GNS430/530 units can do it too. Occasionally ATC will ask for winds aloft and it takes like 3 inputs and voila'

I have a G5 HSI (steam gauge for my AI) and the GAD13/GTP59 temp probe. I'm not seeing TAS or Density Altitude and I'm a bit disappointed. It's looking like the information is presented on the G5 ADI, but not the HSI.

A G5 ADI is in my future (maybe a year or two? Depends on finances and other priorities). Am I out back on TAS and DALT until I add the G5 ADI?

I have a G5 HSI (steam gauge for my AI) and the GAD13/GTP59 temp probe. I'm not seeing TAS or Density Altitude and I'm a bit disappointed. It's looking like the information is presented on the G5 ADI, but not the HSI.

A G5 ADI is in my future (maybe a year or two? Depends on finances and other priorities). Am I out back on TAS and DALT until I add the G5 ADI?

Do you have the latest software upgrade? I believe the feature came with software version 6.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I remember right you have to enable the probe in the settings. I’ll look when I go to the hangar this morning.

With an HSI only, you should still get winds and OAT displayed on the G5 (TAS should show if you switch to ADI).

Do you have the probe enabled in the G5 config? (Air Data -> Outside Air Temp Sensor -> Enabled). Do you see the GAD13 on the canbus if you go in the diagnostics?

If I remember right you have to enable the probe in the settings. I’ll look when I go to the hangar this morning.

They were originally off (after the install was wrapped in April) I didn't have headwind/ x-wind information (I was less than thrilled - thinking installation error, but it was just the settings).

I ran through the config menu yesterday and didn't notice any new settings (thinking along the same lines as @Fracpilot - hoping an option would appear with new software release).

With an HSI only, you should still get winds and OAT displayed on the G5 (TAS should show if you switch to ADI).

Do you have the probe enabled in the G5 config? (Air Data -> Outside Air Temp Sensor -> Enabled). Do you see the GAD13 on the canbus if you go in the diagnostics?

I have winds information and OAT, so I know I've got a good CANbus connection :thumbsup:

I could switch to ADI to check for TAS every once in a while.... disappointed since there is plenty of real estate to show TAS on the HSI. I guess Garmin just wants another pound of flesh :eek: I'll eventually upgrade to dual G5s. This is just another (very minor) reason at this point.

I have winds information and OAT, so I know I've got a good CANbus connection :thumbsup:

I could switch to ADI to check for TAS every once in a while.... disappointed since there is plenty of real estate to show TAS on the HSI. I guess Garmin just wants another pound of flesh :eek: I'll eventually upgrade to dual G5s. This is just another (very minor) reason at this point.
I don’t think there’s anything sinister about it. No other HSI on the market shows TAS either. It’s not really logical. You’re an edge case.

Didn’t know it was just a G5 HSI. Guess I missed that. The HSI shows the winds and the G5 ADI shows Temp, TAS and DA. The DA only works on the ground. Here’s a pic I took on the ground for my avionics guy after a battery failure:

7f18440a168d196c5e5a291943c77ba1.jpg

Both TAS and DALT shows on the ADI, at least in a dual set up. DALT is only shown on the ground right above altimeter setting. I dont know if you can customize those fields or not, most likely no

upload_2020-6-3_10-16-11.png

I have a G430W with Dual G5 install with magnetometer and then installed the TAS upgrade w Garmin Temp Probe.
Initially I thought the TAS and wind data was interesting and accurate.
Lately, however, with no new avionics interventions, I am getting totally wacky wind direction and speed.
When I fly along side a similarly equipped aircraft, we get totally different readings for TAS and wind direction, with mine seeming unreasonable- but with similar OAT readings and identical ground speeds.
My OAT probe is installed on the underside of the wing away from exhaust and sunlight. Garmin OAT reading agree with my JPI OAT probe.
I am convinced I am getting unreliable TAS and wind velocity.
Any ideas where I might start my quest?

Jim

I had some very erroneous wind readouts on my G5/G3X when I was having magnetometer issues. Once they did a recalibration, the readings were much more accurate. The way they get the direction and speed is the difference between your GPS track and your heading. If your heading is off, the winds will be off.

I have a G430W with Dual G5 install with magnetometer and then installed the TAS upgrade w Garmin Temp Probe.
Initially I thought the TAS and wind data was interesting and accurate.
Lately, however, with no new avionics interventions, I am getting totally wacky wind direction and speed.
When I fly along side a similarly equipped aircraft, we get totally different readings for TAS and wind direction, with mine seeming unreasonable- but with similar OAT readings and identical ground speeds.
My OAT probe is installed on the underside of the wing away from exhaust and sunlight. Garmin OAT reading agree with my JPI OAT probe.
I am convinced I am getting unreliable TAS and wind velocity.
Any ideas where I might start my quest?

Jim
If OAT is the same, then other things to look at are whether IAS and PALT are the same between the two planes. If TAS is off then winds will also be off, although an incorrect heading can throw that off as well.

Thank you. I'm gonna try a recalibration of the magnetometer

Tell me, do you need to install GAD29 and Magnetometer GMU11 or only GAD13 and OAT to display the wind vector?

Last edited:
This was not the case in the first message. What else should I consider if my G5 has only gps.

Back