G5 to get TAS and other goodies like wind data

Tell me, do you need to install GAD29 and Magnetometer GMU11 or only GAD13 and OAT to display the wind vector?

To get winds, that G5 needs to be able to compute TAS and difference between heading and ground track, so you’d need at a minimum the GAD13 to get OAT to get TAS, and GMU11 to get magnetic heading. The GAD29B is a ARINC 429 <-> CANBUS converter and also provides 3rd party autopilots with course and heading error, so if you are interfacing with a navigator (GPS or VHF nav) and/or want to provide heading bug and/or nav error to an analog autopilot you would also need the GAD29B.

This was not the case in the first message. What else should I consider if my G5 has only gps.

Again, why would you not?

7086d87b0fa1012638b98deeb0968666.jpg

The GAD29B is a ARINC 429 <-> CANBUS converter and also provides 3rd party autopilots with course and heading error, so if you are interfacing with a navigator (GPS or VHF nav) and/or want to provide heading bug and/or nav error to an analog autopilot you would also need the GAD29B.
And if I don't need it? I have a GPSS converter that works perfectly with autopilot.

Addition of the GAD 13 enables the G5 to display TAS, OAT, and wind information.

Without GMU11?

I don’t know what you are trying to get at, but let’s go back to your original ask.

Tell me, do you need to install GAD29 and Magnetometer GMU11 or only GAD13 and OAT to display the wind vector?

Wind vector is derived from wind information.

And if I don't need it? I have a GPSS converter that works perfectly with autopilot.

Are you planning on displaying CDI/VDI information on the G5? If so then you are almost guaranteed to need the GAD29B (barring some older GPS that you are connecting via serial to the G5). Do you want to be able to track the G5 heading bug with your autopilot? Then you definitely will need the GAD29B.

I guess the better question is.... what equipment do you have that you are trying to hook up, and what are you trying to do?

I guess the better question is.... what equipment do you have that you are trying to hook up, and what are you trying to do?
Oh, thank you for your support! I am writing a Google translator.

I have one G5 installed in the basic configuration. Only the device itself and the GPS antenna connected via a coaxial cable. I want to be able to switch it to HSI mode and observe the wind vector and TAS.

I have one G5 installed in the basic configuration. Only the device itself and the GPS antenna connected via a coaxial cable. I want to be able to switch it to HSI mode and observe the wind vector and TAS.

You need at minimum a GAD13 and GMU11 to display the winds with that setup, as a DG. If you want it to be an HSI, you will need to connect some sort of navigator to the unit, and you will need a GAD29B to do that.

You mention having an autopilot, and GPSS through a converter currently. What autopilot do you have, and what other avionics do you have installed?

I have GNS-430, S-Tec 60-2, gpss.

Attachments

• 66EB35CA-F5E0-4E04-805A-72B3EB710561.jpeg
    66EB35CA-F5E0-4E04-805A-72B3EB710561.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 11
What do you mean?

I’m assuming by vector, OP is referring to the arrow symbol that accompanies the digital wind and direction velocity readout on the G5. That would need a heading input to calculate.

But them again it may be moot. I’m pretty certain the GMU11 is required for a DG/HSI install which is where the wind data is displayed at.

I have GNS-430, S-Tec 60-2, gpss.

Are you wanting to keep the single G5 and not install a 2nd G5? When you said before you wanted to switch it to HSI mode, I was thinking you were talking about making the G5 an HSI, not just being able to enable the HSI page, and switching between them. Seeing as you are not an N-registered aircraft, I'm not sure exactly under what parameters your G5 is installed, so this perhaps might not apply to you... BUT, there is an STC limitation that when installed in a certified aircraft that the G5 installed as an ADI cannot have the HSI page enabled. It is not a physical limitation, as you _could_ enable the HSI page, but at least when using the US STC, it's a legal limitation.

That being said, in order to display winds on an HSI page you would need a GAD13 and GMU11.

That being said, in order to display winds on an HSI page you would need a GAD13 and GMU11.
Thanks for the advice!
Yes, I'm not going to add a second G5 in the next couple of years. I have a certified device, but I can switch it to AHCI mode. I don't know why this is so.

Thanks for the advice!
Yes, I'm not going to add a second G5 in the next couple of years. I have a certified device, but I can switch it to AHCI mode. I don't know why this is so.

It's a just a configuration setting and on a brand new G5 the default is to allow both pages, but per the STC Install Manual it should be disabled on the ADI. It's a common miss.

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 15.01.50.png

Another question:
which one should I take GMU11, for experimental or certified? What is the difference in this device?
There are both on spruce, at one price.

Another question:
which one should I take GMU11, for experimental or certified? What is the difference in this device?
Since it's permanently attached, you need the certified version if you're putting in a certified plane (e.g. Piper, Cessna, Mooney).

I agree. But, what is the difference?

It seems to me that the owners of experimental aircraft will not be happy about this either. ;)

The certified version comes with the STC, which you need to put in your logs. It's great that Garmin's selling it at the same price.
Sounds to me like Garmin is just raising the price of the experimental to the same price as the certified. Could it be? Perish the thought! :dunno:

I agree. But, what is the difference?
Another question:

Again since you aren’t an N numbered aircraft, I’m not totally sure under what terms your G5 is installed, but if you are utilizing the G5 STC, the STC installation manual specifies which part number devices can be installed under that STC, and the only GMU11 part number allowed is the PMA’d one. There are PMA’d and non-PMA’d variants of many of the G5 system parts, I honestly have no idea if there is a difference or not in the hardware and if there is what it would be, but the STC is clear which you can use. As your registration appears to be Belarus (and not an EU country that would have the EASA STC), I have no idea under what terms your equipment was installed.

It seems to me that the owners of experimental aircraft will not be happy about this either. ;)
Experimental owners get some benefits from the certification process, still — they end up with a product that's much more thoroughly tested (assuming any bug fixes or hardening make their way back to the -E version), and also a product that has a bigger market (lowering the base price for everyone). OTOH, they don't get the benefit of the actual certification paperwork.

So I think it's fair that for big-ticket items, experimental owners pay a smaller percentage of the certification cost, but not necessarily zero. For items that don't cost much more than a tank of avgas — like the GMU 11 ($275) — it's probably not worth making a price distinction at all.

Back