Tri-tip is on the East Coast

Nice. Do you trim that bit of silverskin off the tip? Looks a bit thick.

Also, what'd you put on the chicken thighs?

No, I didn't bother. It burns off on the grill, so there isn't much point. I do trim the fat layer off the bottom, as I don't like flare ups. I put a "Brazilian Steakhouse" spice blend on the tri-tip, and a Chipotle spice blend on the chicken. I like to cook the chicken with the skin on, so it doesn't dry out.

when do you cook it? :D

It's actually more done that it looks like in the photo. It came out a perfect medium rare. Any more toughens it up.

I bet that would be better smoked....then sliced like a brisket.;)

It can be done, but smoked tri tip tends to be overcooked and dry. The place that smokes it and pulls it off really well, smokes it to medium rare (not several hours) and then slices it up like a brisket. How I slice it up is essentially like slicing a brisket.

Are we talking rudder trim or aileron trim here? heehee

3E8C6F48-876F-444A-9D2D-56DE430277FD.jpeg

Imma going to bbq some chicken. Dry rub barbecue spice, and under the skin. Should be hecka yummy. That’s a little over five pounds of chicken.

Im a Santa Maria tritip fool.... plus garlic bread, beans and a salad! We do this at least once a month. I use my pellet smoker with oak pellets only as we cannot get red oak here.

Got a contest next weekend. Will be cooking 2 butts, 2 briskets, approx 25 lb chicken, 1 pork loin, lamb chops, about 12 slabs ribs, and about 5 lb sausage. This is in addition to 2 precooked briskets and 3 precooked butts. This will handle the Fri night dinner party and the Sat contest.

Got a contest next weekend. Will be cooking 2 butts, 2 briskets, approx 25 lb chicken, 1 pork loin, lamb chops, about 12 slabs ribs, and about 5 lb sausage. This is in addition to 2 precooked briskets and 3 precooked butts. This will handle the Fri night dinner part and the Sat contest.

Dude...

getting ready for Father's day.....;)

Attachments

• D795B8C7-0C13-4D27-87D9-90E848D14863.jpg
    D795B8C7-0C13-4D27-87D9-90E848D14863.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 16
  • ADBA6DCE-0971-40E0-9902-A2C42688BEB0.jpg
    ADBA6DCE-0971-40E0-9902-A2C42688BEB0.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 9A9F2F73-A197-4113-83B9-6388775533B5.jpg
    9A9F2F73-A197-4113-83B9-6388775533B5.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 16
Scored a four pound tri tip for BBQ tonight. That is as big as these things get. I'll take some gratuitous photos later if I'm sober enough.

Someone please learn me on tri tip.

I'm going to Sam's this weekend and plan to check on tri tip. Not going to get one since I won't have time to cook it. Maybe I'll do one for the 4th of July.

Trimming?

Seasonings?

Cooking temp of grill? (I have gas and charcoal)

Direct/indirect?

Internal cooking temp of meat?

Approx cooking time?

I've seen enough Sac pix to have an idea on slicing tricks. (thick? thin?)

Serving suggestions: slices on plate? buns? sauce? sides?

Someone please learn me on tri tip.

I'm going to Sam's this weekend and plan to check on tri tip. Not going to get one since I won't have time to cook it. Maybe I'll do one for the 4th of July.
You probably need to Skype Sac.

Trimming?
The thick layer of fat, yes. Some people leave it on for basting. I prefer the smoke to penetrate.

Seasonings?
For the first time, just keep it simple with salt/pepper/garlic powder. Next time you can adjust as need be. Just be sure to salt it a few hours ahead of time.

Cooking temp of grill? (I have gas and charcoal)
I want to say 325, but I use charcoal so it's hard for me to measure/regulate.
Direct/indirect?
Both. Sear it direct, then move it to indirect. Or vice versa. Oak chunks or chips on the charcoal. I normally like hickory with other cuts but for some reason it doesn't taste right to me with tri-tip.
Internal cooking temp of meat?
Medium rare (135 at the thickest part), because the tip will be a lot more done than the center.
Approx cooking time?
About 1 hour.
I've seen enough Sac pix to have an idea on slicing tricks. (thick? thin?)
About 1/4-1/2 inch.
Serving suggestions: slices on plate? buns? sauce? sides?
Slices on a plate because grain direction is so critical. Slice on demand, if you like playing that guy at the end of a buffet line. Salad, beans, salsa fresca and french bread on the side if you like Santa Maria style.

I generally season mine with dry rub salt mixtures, but you could marinate too. I cook mine direct, covered on charcoal, flipping every few minutes so it doesn't char and dry out, until the rubbery feel starts to go away. Cooking time could range from about 20 minutes to an hour, depending on the size and heat. You could do indirect but be careful not to overcook it, or it will be dry and tough. Ideally you want medium rare. Rare will be tough. Medium will be tough.

Slicing? You will see there are two converging grain patterns. Let it sit for 20 minutes, then cut it in half on that convergence line. Then cut each crossgrain, thin slices.

EA500152-F389-40AB-A3D1-3318D6719731.jpeg
Fittin’ to do this 3.9 lb tri tip. I cut about a half pound of fat off the bottom. It’s all seasoned up and ready for the grill, which will light at 5:00 pm PDT. I will try to record cook time for @Matthew

Last edited:
@Sac Arrow
Looks great. I hit Sam's earlier today, seems like a week ago with all the other errands I ran all day, including getting stitched back up this morning after cutting myself last night, but that's another story.

Sam's had tri-tip but it had been run through a slicer into steaks. I talked with a guy at work the other day and he gets tri-tip from another grocery store near me. I really like their meat department, too, but I had never looked for tri-tip there. That's where I normally get beef tenderloin and rib-roasts. I might get a chance to swing by there tomorrow, but may not have time.

edit:

I also mentioned tri-tip to another guy at work yesterday, he showed me pix of when he and his dad visited his cousin in California. His cousin had a couple tri-tips on the grill.

So, @Matthew did you end up doing it? If so how did it turn out? I'm about to grill a couple of these bad boys here in a while. Can't wait.

Edit: Nevermind. Read the post. School that butcher.

@Sac Arrow

I got a pic from a grocery store that just opened a couple weeks ago.

Doing some KC strips as I type. Whole strip loin on sale $3.99/lb.

Dunno if I will have any time soon tonight try a tri tip.

Attachments

• IMG_2932.JPG
    IMG_2932.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 14
many places may have it, but their area doesn't have correct labeling for it, ask butcher for the "bag" of pieces that come mixed in with the top sirloins, as now days the top sirloins are pre-trimmed, & then the tri-tips are put in bags, 2-5 to a bag, so expect to pay price for top sirloin, but dot be afraid to ask, as many butchers are not familiar with the cut, or company doesn't label it as such, & they cut either into strips & label as top sirloin, or even western style ribs

@Sac Arrow

I got a pic from a grocery store that just opened a couple weeks ago.

Doing some KC strips as I type. Whole strip loin on sale $3.99/lb.

Dunno if I will have any time soon tonight try a tri tip.

Those look proper.

You don't necessarily have to slow smoke tri tip for it to come out tender (although that doesn't hurt.) Overcooking will make it tough. Undercooking will make it tough. I usually go covered, direct heat over the coals, for about 20 minutes to a half hour, until the rubberyness (if that is a word) just starts to disappear.

How you cut it is important. It is a roast, so you need to let it sit for 15 minutes before you cut it. You cut the line where the grains meet to separate them, then thin slice across the grain for each half. I guarantee you that if you have my tri tip, it will not be tough.

I just made a couple last night. They were completely decimated. Sooooooo good.

Some people cut it and cook it like a steak. That doesn't work well. It comes out tough that way.

Growing up in California I have been grilling and smoking tri tip most of my life (Im 55). Sac Arrow has it exactly right. The slicing is the key. My tri tip neatly melts in your mouth

They were 8.99 on sale for 6.99. Probably should have bought a couple for the freezer.
Been cutting them all day, on sale for $4.99 lb, yeah, crazy sale if your a meat cutter

Isn't freezing forbidden in the BBQ world?
I’d rather get it fresh, but a sale is a sale.

I bought a whole strip loin yesterday. Cut it into about a dozen strip steaks. In a few minutes I will vacuum pack them and put them in the freezer.

Half price sales are hard to pass up.

I wouldn't call $6.99 a smoking great deal (see what I did there) but I would still bite.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't be 100% perfect cooked sous vide?

Is there any reason why this wouldn't be 100% perfect cooked sous vide?

I have no personal experience with sous vide, so, I don't know. If you can, say, pull off a sirloin steak using the sous vide method, I don't see any reason why you can't use it for tri tip. Tri tip can be smoked, but if you smoke it past the point where is is medium rare in the center, it ends up being tough and dry.

I have no personal experience with sous vide, so, I don't know. If you can, say, pull off a sirloin steak using the sous vide method, I don't see any reason why you can't use it for tri tip. Tri tip can be smoked, but if you smoke it past the point where is is medium rare in the center, it ends up being tough and dry.

I'll try and post results. Sous vide is amazing for beef, tri tip sounds like a perfect candidate for edge-to-edge perfectioness.

I'll try and post results. Sous vide is amazing for beef, tri tip sounds like a perfect candidate for edge-to-edge perfectioness.
Is that technique more than just boiling meat in a bag? No, I did not use the Google-Fu.

Is that technique more than just boiling meat in a bag? No, I did not use the Google-Fu.
Yes. It is more than that, you don’t boil it, you heat it and maintain whatever finish temp you want. Say 130F: you use gentle heat from a water bath to reach and hold 130. At that point the meat is finished, 130 all the way through. Then you can quickly sear it to put color and a nice crust on the outside.

Yes. It is more than that, you don’t boil it, you heat it and maintain whatever finish temp you want. Say 130F: you use gentle heat from a water bath to reach and hold 130. At that point the meat is finished, 130 all the way through. Then you can quickly sear it to put color and a nice crust on the outside.

Yep. Truly the best way to do many meats. Much more forgiving than a crock-pot for overcooking. After the immersion I usually sear it on a cast iron griddle on the grill. Here's what a moose roast looks like done with this technique.

fcCKpFQ.jpg

^^^

Oh, my.

Matthew approves.

I shall award you 10 points for that picture.

Back