RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Scenario:

Student and CFI are on final and upon landing, the brakes are locked and the airplane veers off the right side of the runway and ends up going nose first causing a prop strike and the right wing gets damaged to the point where a new one is required (major repair?). In this case, would a 337 be needed and who would actually sign it?

The FAA 337 approval process just says ‘the applicant’ but doesn’t specify who the applicant actually is (ie., the aircraft owner or the A&P that’s installing the wing).

Just a WAG since I don't have the reg in front of me but I'd say neither. The IA that signs it off as airworthy after repair signs the 337.

You're hypothetical is a bit incomplete. What plane did the catastrophic wing damage occur on?

I'd guess the best hope would be a plane with removable wings, ala the RV12, or some strutless example like the C117 or C210.

In general though, if you need to replace a wing and tear down engine for the prop strike it is highly unlikely that thing will be anything other than a parts picker.

Last edited:
Just a WAG since I don't have the reg in front of me but I'd say neither. The IA that signs it off as airworthy after repair signs the 337.
But wouldn’t the aircraft owner need to give authorization for such a repair to be made?

You're hypothetical is a bit incomplete. What plane did the catastrophic wing damage occur on?
Not a hypothetical. This happened on a Super Decathlon.

Owner approves the work....whom ever is performing and returning to service is the one signing off the 337.

In this case, would a 337 be needed
Not quite enough info, but a 337 for which part: the engine or wing? If you replace the engine and wing vs repair them then no 337 needed. If repairing and depending how the repair is classified, an A&P with Inspection Authorization (IA) is needed to sign the 337. As to applicant, it usually is the A&P performing the repair and/or the IA who approves it for return to service.

Not quite enough info, but a 337 for which part: the engine or wing? If you replace the engine and wing vs repair them then no 337 needed. If repairing and depending how the repair is classified, an A&P with Inspection Authorization (IA) is needed to sign the 337. As to applicant, it usually is the A&P performing the repair and/or the IA who approves it for return to service.

Yay....looks like Timmy finally got something right!

Not quite enough info, but a 337 for which part: the engine or wing?
The wing. I assumed it was the A&P but wasn’t quite sure if the aircraft owner had to do anything. The 337 seems like one of those big government waiting games...but what do I know! :)

To clarify, this accident occurred awhile back, but after reading and trying to understand how 337’s work, it brought this to mind, so I figured I’d reach out and see what others had to say.

Thanks all!

The wing. I assumed it was the A&P but wasn’t quite sure if the aircraft owner had to do anything. The 337 seems like one of those big government waiting games...but what do I know! :)
An A&P can do the work and return it to service. If a 337 were required (depending on the repair - and it is up to the A&P to make the determination), s/he would also sign the 337 in section 6D but an I/A is required to sign section 7.

Form 337 is for Major Repair & Alteration. A R&R of a wing or engine is not a repair, nor is it an alteration. It is a remove and replace job. However, the structure should be properly inspected to make sure there is no other damage from the incident.

Form 337 is for Major Repair & Alteration. A R&R of a wing or engine is not a repair, nor is it an alteration. It is a remove and replace job. However, the structure should be properly inspected to make sure there is no other damage from the incident.
This is it folks, Entire wing replacement,, NO 337 is required.

Big IF

the replacement wing has no repairs meeting a major repair requirements.

I wouldn’t call it “permission” but I’m not gonna fix the guy’s airplane unless he asks me to.

Back