DME needed for ILS ground components?

Brendan Cobble

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Airfoil
So in my Laws and Regs class we went over ILS aprch. 5 components we said were needed however many of my buddies say DME is rather pointless for ILS approach. Why would they say that? is it because Distance measuring is already a factor in precision decent? Makes sense to me why they would say you only need the other 4 but just want to know what other people think.

Unless it's a rare ILS/DME approach or DME is required for some other aspect of the approach, there's no need for DME for an ILS. Many (most?) ILS approaches do not require or have it. The MPA (the DA) on an ILS is based on altitude, not a distance from the threshhold. I did my instrument training in an airplane with two VOR/LOC receivers (only one of which had a glideslpoe), an ADF, and no DME.

:yeahthat: Although there may be times that DME is nice to have for situational awareness, most times it's not required. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's pointless though.

Unless it's a rare ILS/DME approach or DME is required for some other aspect of the approach, there's no need for DME for an ILS. Many (most?) ILS approaches do not require or have it. The MPA (the DA) on an ILS is based on altitude, not a distance from the threshhold. I did my instrument training in an airplane with two VOR/LOC receivers (only one of which had a glideslpoe), an ADF, and no DME.
Hmm interesting. So only sometimes you need DME even though you mostly wont use it. Sounds like the FAA to me!

Hmm interesting. So only sometimes you need DME even though you mostly wont use it. Sounds like the FAA to me!
Wait the FAA does mandate this right? you need all 5? I could check the FAR but im lazy.

No, a DME is not required for all ILS approaches; however, there are some ILS/DME approaches that require it. Normally it's because they have an arc or the distance is needed to locate a fix on the approach.

Not an instrument pilot, right? It sounds like you may have misunderstood something you heard along the way. Perhaps you can provide a reference to the "5 components" you say are required? I know 5 components to an ILS system. None are DME and only three are required.

The requirement for DME, like the requirement for any nav equipment, is specific to the approach you are going to fly. Look at these two ILS approaches. One is the ILS OR LOC Y to Runway 3 at Sanford, NC; the other the ILS Z. Neither requires DME in order to fly the ILS. But, as the notes indicate, the ILS Y required DME in order to enter the procedure. OTOH, the ILS or LOC Z requires DME only if you are going to fly the localizer-only approach, not the ILS.

Sorry, I don't have a sample of an ILS/DME approach. I've never seen one in the US only where DME was required for the LOC-only), although I have seen samples from other countries (so it's not an FAA issue).

Last edited:
When I earned my instrument rating, in a C-310 no less, I had yet to fly an airplane that had a DME receiver. Two VOR/ILS and one ADF was all I had.

@Doug Reid, you may have misunderstood what I said. Or maybe you are just adding to it :)

The FAY ILS 4, is a very standard ILS. Flying It from glideslope intercept to DA does not require DME and one can fly it just fine without DME.

Like many other similar approaches, DME is required for other parts of the approach. "Required” on the Planview means needed to get to an IAF from the en route environment; the “Required” in the Notes box means, needed for other segments of the approach, including the missed, but not for the final approach course. On this specific approach, it's to identify ZODGI.

there is not much information there to help identify the IAF if you don't have DME or a GPS.
Yep. "Not much" is an understatement. There isn't any information on the plate to help you identify the IAF other than DME. That's why it's Required:
"Required” on the Planview means needed to get to an IAF from the en route environment; *** On this specific approach, it's to identify ZODGI.

That's all an aside. The original question was about required components for an ILS and the poster's belief that DME is one of those.

DME is sometimes use to identify stepdown fixes on the localizer course. Since the removal of many Compass Locators (LOM), DME can identify fixes along the final approach course.

DME is not a required component of the ILS system. Nor is RVR. Some airports just have those facilities to suit their users...

I don't have DME in my plane, but I wish that it did. There are several approaches here in this area where they are required. Often just for the hold on the missed approach. But they are required. Well, at least without a GPS they are.

Last edited:
So in my Laws and Regs class we went over ILS aprch. 5 components we said were needed however many of my buddies say DME is rather pointless for ILS approach. Why would they say that? is it because Distance measuring is already a factor in precision decent? Makes sense to me why they would say you only need the other 4 but just want to know what other people think.

Here’s one with 3. ILS31 at KSNS. Localizer, Glideslope, NDB

So in my Laws and Regs class we went over ILS aprch. 5 components we said were needed however many of my buddies say DME is rather pointless for ILS approach. Why would they say that?
First off, there are three functional components: guidance, range and visual. This has long been fodder for FAA written test questions. DME can substitute for marker beacons within the range component. The "pointless" comment regarding DME probably has to do with dropping it from the title of ILS approaches that offered DME a few years ago. It was deemed unnecessary to navigate an ILS final approach course so, IIRC, they purged the /DME from the title (a slash means "and"). In the case of LOC only approaches, though, DME may still be required to navigate final. I'm curious what the five components were.

Much better. Being lazy, though, I'd have simply printed the Raleigh minimums and noted to use the Raleigh altimeter if the local one was unavailable. I doubt more than one or two flights per year would miss the approach because of the difference while more than that might crash trying to fly and read the current notes at the same time.

ILS/DME is an obsolete naming convention. If DME is required it will now be in the plan view for procedures revised subsequent to the naming convention change.

the GPS waypoints
There's no such thing as a "GPS waypoint". There are only waypoints or fixes. How you navigate to them will vary and does not require GPS. They are other ways to achieve the same required navigation performance. Navigation systems that incorporate GPS/GNSS updating will have the lowest RNP/ANP values and will be required for certain procedures but that's not required to fly most RNAV routings or to navigate to any waypoint or fix.

I've flown B767s across oceans without GPS. They navigated with a FMS which utilized DME/DME/IRU to maintain their position. I no longer fly them but those same airplanes are still flying RNAV routings today without GPS.

There's no such thing as a "GPS waypoint". There are only waypoints or fixes. How you navigate to them will vary and does not require GPS. They are other ways to achieve the same required navigation performance. Navigation systems that incorporate GPS/GNSS updating will have the lowest RNP/ANP values and will be required for certain procedures but that's not required to fly most RNAV routings or to navigate to any waypoint or fix.

I've flown B767s across oceans without GPS. They navigated with a FMS which utilized DME/DME/IRU to maintain their position. I no longer fly them but those same airplanes are still flying RNAV routings today without GPS.
Indeed they are but not RNAV-1 nor RNP APCH.

First off, there are three functional components: guidance, range and visual. This has long been fodder for FAA written test questions. DME can substitute for marker beacons within the range component. The "pointless" comment regarding DME probably has to do with dropping it from the title of ILS approaches that offered DME a few years ago. It was deemed unnecessary to navigate an ILS final approach course so, IIRC, they purged the /DME from the title (a slash means "and"). In the case of LOC only approaches, though, DME may still be required to navigate final. I'm curious what the five components were.
If DME is in the planview, it is required. The naming convention was changed to conform with ICAO, but because DME is no longer required in some ILS IAPs.

DME is sometimes use to identify stepdown fixes on the localizer course. Since the removal of many Compass Locators (LOM), DME can identify fixes along the final approach course.

DME is not a required component of the ILS system. Nor is RVR. Some airports just have those facilities to suit their users...
How many angels on the head of a pin? As an example, if you don't have DME or GPS-RNAV, you cannot fly the KLAX ILS 25L without DME unless you can get ATC to call out all of those DME or RADAR fixes.

you cannot fly the KLAX ILS 25L without DME unless you can get ATC to call out all of those DME or RADAR fixes.
According to some FAA AC you can identify such fixed if you have a "suitable" RNAV equipment in lieu of DME.
This was even made crystal clear to me during my IFR oral 2 months ago.

According to some FAA AC you can identify such fixed if you have a "suitable" RNAV equipment in lieu of DME.
I believe he said that:

As an example, if you don't have DME or GPS-RNAV, you cannot fly the KLAX ILS 25L without DME unless you can get ATC to call out all of those DME or RADAR fixes.

A bit off the original question, but when I did my IR there were four components...
1) Localizer
2) Glide Slope
3) Marker Beacons
4) Lighting System

In addition, when there was an NDB colocated with the OM it was called a “compass locator”.

I'll quote my previous message in pertinent part, "if you don't have DME or GPS-RNAV, you cannot fly the KLAX ILS 25L without DME unless you can get ATC to call out all of those DME or RADAR fixes."

Not that this is hugely significant for the purposes of this thread, but DME uses transceivers.
Adding to that bit of trivia, some DME ground stations can handle a maximum number of interrogations from aircraft at one time. If I recall correctly, some are 100, some are 200.

About 15 years ago, FAA issued a letter that said an approach certified GPS was approved to ID marker beacons, NDB's, DME fixes, etc. It showed up in my Jepp updates. Maybe its an AC now?

Adding to that bit of trivia, some DME ground stations can handle a maximum number of interrogations from aircraft at one time. If I recall correctly, some are 100, some are 200.
About 10 yrs ago pilots operating in and around the Gulf of Mexico were submitting reports to the FAA that the White Lake Vortac (LLA) was weak and puny in its output, especially DME. You could only get DME inside four miles. A gent from the FSDO showed up to speak to a group of pilots and touched on the low power of the facility. He said "Lets check AIM for a revue. Your equipment sends an interrogation to the facility and it pings back to you. If there are lots of hits, the facility goes into defensive mode and shifts to low power." So all present counted up the number of DME units in the air at that time & place. Midweek, between New Orleans and Beaumont. Couple hundred Helos, lots of GA airplanes passing by, all the air carrier traffic to and from S & Central America. Could be several hundred in range of LLA. Even though everybody is using GPS, you ought to do something with your VHF Nav. It is prudent to tune it to the closest facility just in case. Case solved. BTW, I always got a good "hit" after midnight.

Reminds me of a story. On the day after the 9/11 attacks, a fellow CAP pilot and I were tasked with flying blood samples from Oakland to the Red Cross lab in Portland, OR. This was needed because donated blood has to be tested before it can be used, they only had two labs on the West Coast, and nearly all civilian air traffic was grounded that week. On the way home, since there were so few aircraft in the air to compete for the attention of the DME ground stations, we were checking to see how many of them we could pick up. We were surprised to see the unit display a distance greater than a hundred miles. My colleague commented that he didn't even know that a DME could display that many digits to the left of the decimal point!

Reminds me of a story. On the day after the 9/11 attacks, a fellow CAP pilot and I were tasked with flying blood samples from Oakland to the Red Cross lab in Portland, OR. This was needed because donated blood has to be tested before it can be used, they only had two labs on the West Coast, and nearly all civilian air traffic was grounded that week. On the way home, since there were so few aircraft in the air to compete for the attention of the DME ground stations, we were checking to see how many of them we could pick up. We were surprised to see the unit display a distance greater than a hundred miles. My colleague commented that he didn't even know that a DME could display that many digits to the left of the decimal point!
In the flight levels I've seen them lock on close to 200 miles. (H VOR)

Back