Sky Diving...

The gear is MUCH more comfortable, but if it's not worn correctly, it can cause A LOT of discomfort.
Be sure that one of the family jewels is not caught under a leg strap.........you will know it when the chute opens !

Are you allowed to backout once your up there? I figure once you go up you don’t have a choice but to jump

I think I only had maybe 3 or 4 people back out once they were in the plane. I had a few AFF students that needed a go-around and a pep talk before they jumped, but almost all of them did. Now *some* of them I wish HAD backed out once we were off the plane...

Wasn't that the 75th Ranger Regiment? I recall talking to some of them afterwards. Due to poor communications, they derigged for landing then were told the airfield wasn't secure so they rerigged quickly...so quickly some didn't get their reserves put on. Still, from 500', it wouldn't have been much use. I thought the 82nd follow-on folks all landed in the a/c after Ranger's secured airfield. It has been a few decades though. My memory is a bit fuzzy, especially after my own lawn dart imitation.
Yes the 75th went in first and there were about 5-8 82d Airborne kids with them. They were heavy equipment operators who were supposed to move the graders, etc. from the airstrip in prep for C-130’s. I talked to a number of them a few days afterwards - scared the **** of them and I know it would have me. Lowest I ever jumped was with the 7th Special Forces Group -allegedly 600’ - at night. All I remember is exiting (a tailgate) and hitting the ground so hard I thought I was going to come from together. Since it takes 192’ or so for full deployment of a chute, not much room for error or a reserve.

Wanna bet? ;):)

I said "less likely." :D

Are you allowed to backout once your up there? I figure once you go up you don’t have a choice but to jump

Don't know what Eloy does, or their policy. Where I was at, if you haven't put your feet out the door you can come down, but you spent a bunch of money for nothing. Once you're out on the step, getting you back in safely is problematic. Too many things can go wrong when you bring someone in off the step, especially if they're inexperienced. All that being said, if you get cold feet on jump run, the JM will do his best to calm you down. You're paying for this thrill. Might as well get you're money's worth.

BTW... I've never had a 1st jumper that regretting going.

And remember, "No, No!" sounds a Lot like "Go, Go!"

I know of an instructor/jumpmaster who put a static line student out on the step/strut of a 182 and forgot to hook up the static line beforehand. Recognizing his mistake he yelled no and reached for the student. The student let go and reportedly did a real nice arch all the way to the ground.

Listen guys I’ll be happy if I survive this event

My first jump at Airborne School at Ft Benning, I was in first stick for the second pass. Last man in last stick of first pass was a Command Sergeant Major (E-9). He froze in the door. A quite small Sergeant (E-5) instructor jumped up, grabbed the anchorline cable with both hands and swung hard planting both feet/boots in the CSMs packtray. The CSM never knew what hit him and he went out the door like he was fired from a cannon.

I figured after watching that, I figured balking was a lost cause. I didn't hesitate. I feared getting kicked out more than the thought of jumping. I couldn't wait for my next jump though as it was an awesome experience. :D

My first jump at Airborne School at Ft Benning, I was in first stick for the second pass. Last man in last stick of first pass was a Command Sergeant Major (E-9). He froze in the door. A quite small Sergeant (E-5) instructor jumped up, grabbed the anchorline cable with both hands and swung hard planting both feet/boots in the CSMs packtray. The CSM never knew what hit him and he went out the door like he was fired from a cannon.

I figured after watching that, I figured balking was a lost cause. I didn't hesitate. I feared getting kicked out more than the thought of jumping. I couldn't wait for my next jump though as it was an awesome experience. :D

Listener: Well, did you jump?
Story teller: Just a little bit at first.

(I'll let someone else post the rest of the joke)

Listener: Well, did you jump?
Story teller: Just a little bit at first.

(I'll let someone else post the rest of the joke)

Wasn't that you most recent Class I physical? Gotta watch those flight surgeons. :D

Listen guys I’ll be happy if I survive this event

You are jumping out of an airplane, right, this isn't a base jump, is it? Thousands and thousands of people do this every year, and fatalities under tandem are really, really rare.

Let me put it in perspective. There are millions of jumps made worldwide. The total number of fatalities every year are in the low double digits, like 20 or less. Approximately half of those fatalities are experienced skydivers under perfect canopies that do something stupid that causes them to hit the ground at high speed. So actual 'accidental' fatalities (actual chute malfunctions, etc) are very rare. I lost several friends while in the sport and saw many serious injuries. IIRC only two were caused by actual parachute malfunctions. Both were extremely experience jumpers. One was caused by the main chute failing to release on one side, causing the reserve to become entangled with the main. The other was probably caused by the reserve getting wet (during a pond swoop and subsequent submerging of the rig) and the reserve failing to deploy properly when needed.

So yeah, theres a chance

Let me put it in perspective. There are millions of jumps made worldwide. The total number of fatalities every year are in the low double digits, like 20 or less. Approximately half of those fatalities are experienced skydivers under perfect canopies that do something stupid that causes them to hit the ground at high speed. So actual 'accidental' fatalities (actual chute malfunctions, etc) are very rare. I lost several friends while in the sport and saw many serious injuries. IIRC only two were caused by actual parachute malfunctions. Both were extremely experience jumpers. One was caused by the main chute failing to release on one side, causing the reserve to become entangled with the main. The other was probably caused by the reserve getting wet (during a pond swoop and subsequent submerging of the rig) and the reserve failing to deploy properly when needed.

So yeah, theres a chance

I'm mostly trolling...I understand the riskkkk

Nobody’s done the blind skydiver one yet...

They don’t jump because it scares the seeing eye dogs too much. :)

Actually there is at least one blind skydiver that I'm aware of. Do you know how he knows when to pull the ripcord??

When the leash goes slack.

(I'm serious about the blind skydiver. He used to post on rec.skydiving quite often.)

(I'm serious about the blind skydiver. He used to post on rec.skydiving quite often.)

I don’t doubt it. One of the most awesome people I had the honor to know as a friend in this life, was blind. That guy would do/try anything.

Various unrelated health problems took his life early.

Quite the character. Best story was he rode the city busses a lot and knew the drivers. One day be boarded a full bus with his cane in hand and dark glasses on, driver saw him coming and started acting like it was shift change and he played along. As he sat in the driver’s seat, a bunch of people bailed off of the bus out the back door. LOL.

Miss that guy. We used to say he didn’t just operate a radio on the HF bands, he “held court”.

So yeah, theres a chance

Yeah, when I was looking into this it seemed like a third of the fatalities were from swooping, which most of us wouldn't do. It does look really bada**, though.

Will Smith has it figured out:

Yea will smith explains exactly how this is gonna go lmao

Actually there is at least one blind skydiver that I'm aware of. Do you know how he knows when to pull the ripcord??

When the leash goes slack.

Isn't the leash going slack when to flare?

Eloy is a great choice.

Get the video/stills, you will only make one first skydive in your life, if you don't get the video/stills you will regret it.

If you think flying is expensive check out the hourly cost of the wind tunnel while you are there.

I was watching some tandem videos. It appears that the most common accident that occurs while tandem skydiving requires a change of underwear.

Last edited:
Nobody’s done the blind skydiver one yet...

They don’t jump because it scares the seeing eye dogs too much. :)
hqdefault.jpg

Nauga,
who says, "Fetch!"

Well folks. Signed up for May 5th. I'm already nervous. Figure it will be good experience in case I ever need to jump out of the ole Cherokee.

Uh oh, looks like someone has a skydive tomorrow.

Here's your soundtrack for tomorrow:

(For those of you who don't have time to listen, that's the instrumental theme to Top Gun, not the Kenny Loggins song)

So, you're going to get up at O-dark-thirty tomorrow morning, drag yourself out to the drop zone, get some instruction, and then jump out of an airplane two and a half miles above the surface of the earth. You're going to take one of humankind's natural fears - the fear of falling - and give it the finger, just because you want to. I say, YEAH BABY, RIGHT ON!

Let us know how it went when you get back.

Uh oh, looks like someone has a skydive tomorrow.

Here's your soundtrack for tomorrow:

(For those of you who don't have time to listen, that's the instrumental theme to Top Gun, not the Kenny Loggins song)

So, you're going to get up at O-dark-thirty tomorrow morning, drag yourself out to the drop zone, get some instruction, and then jump out of an airplane two and a half miles above the surface of the earth. You're going to take one of humankind's natural fears - the fear of falling - and give it the finger, just because you want to. I say, YEAH BABY, RIGHT ON!

Let us know how it went when you get back.

Yeaaaaa not looking forward to it! Woo hoo!

Hope you increased your insurance ,just in case.

It is with great humility that I announce my skydive tomorrow. What could be my last day today. Today will be extra special in the cubicle. Tonight I will be eating the finest grass fed beef - a burger I will savor.

Ask not what skydiving can do for you, ask what you can do for sky diving. I think Teddy Roosevelt said that at one point. Good quote.

I've been memorizing the skydiver's creed:

Jump High.
Pull Low.
Pack Fast.

Amen.

It is with great humility that I announce my skydive tomorrow. What could be my last day today. Today will be extra special in the cubicle. Tonight I will be eating the finest grass fed beef - a burger I will savor.

Ask not what skydiving can do for you, ask what you can do for sky diving. I think Teddy Roosevelt said that at one point. Good quote.

I've been memorizing the skydiver's creed:

Jump High.
Pull Low.
Pack Fast.

Amen.

Also. before you step out the door. make sure you are attached to your instructor. It would be a bummer if you stepped out by yourself.

Back