Sky Diving...

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Well my brother wants to go sky diving for his birthday down at Eloy (Skydive Arizona). Have to admit...I'm not sure on this one. I've done a full aerobatic course in a Great Lakes and have an hour in a Pitts S-2C, which I loved. But jumping out of an airplane at 13-14k...I dunno...

What do you guys think? Should I give it a shot? 50/50 chance I make it out alive.

Not me!!! I look at it this way.. When you jump out of a plane, you are going to die until or if the chute opens. The only time I would use a parachute is when it is the lesser of to evils. :)

Eloy is a good place to do it. Make sure he springs for the extra money to get video.

BTW... If he thinks he's going to stick with it, tell him to do an AFF jump. Otherwise, just go for a tandem if it's just going to be a one and done deal.

I wonder if they still play the video of my last base jump at the Bent Prop Cafe.

Eloy has been a great skydive center for decades. Yes, go for it!

I mean I did paragliding, but at least your parachute is out already hahaha

Either you really want to do it, or you really don't. I really don't. Which are you?

One skydive exposes you to a risk of 10 micromorts, about the same risk of dying that a 50 year old man has just by being alive for one day. Don't let the possible risk keep you from going. Whether or not you want to spend the money, that's something else entirely.

My eldest daughter and I are going next month for her 18th birthday.

*takes big breath* okay I'm signing up.

He's saying that if you do nothing after jumping out you will die. Even sitting in a plane and doing nothing, there is some reasonable chance the plane could land in a field and not kill you.

Same is true for swimming underwater though, and few people avoid it for that reason.

Well folks. Signed up for May 5th. I'm already nervous. Figure it will be good experience in case I ever need to jump out of the ole Cherokee.

He's saying that if you do nothing after jumping out you will die. Even sitting in a plane and doing nothing, there is some reasonable chance the plane could land in a field and not kill you.

Same is true for swimming underwater though, and few people avoid it for that reason.
I guess the “if the chute opens” didn’t read right to me and I thought he was saying you’d die if the chute opens.

Well...I could be flying skydivers sometime down the road...I'll be staying with the plane then.

Do it! Youre in far more danger of selling your airplane to fund your new skydiving addiction that dying. I jumped for 17 years and accumulated just shy of 3600 jumps. I am a tandem and AFF instructor and did MANY a jump with somebody strapped to my chest. In the course of my skydiving career, I used my reserve chute 9 times, broke by back once, and sprained my ankle so bad it still causes minor problems 10 years later.

All said and done, I'd do it all again!

Not too likely. When you step off that plane your sphincter will slam shut so hard you may not pee for two days

:D

Lol yea gotta admit I'm pretty damn nervous for this one. Like you said worst case I break my back or something. No big deal

Last edited:
I did a tandem jump once. The only thing a bit odd was the "OK, now put your feet outside the aircraft" step. Other than that it was a blast.

I think the worst part will be the ride up to 14,000 feet...just thinking about jumping out. I think once we jump it will be a good time. Kind of like aerobatics.

@CC268 -- photos.... don't forget the photos! Especially the ones during freefall.

Video .... even better!

Somewhere I have a CD with the shots the vidiot made of my jump.

I have 48 hours to change my mind for refund

When I pick dup the Mooney the other day a guy was dropping meat bombs out of a centurion. He said they were students from my institution. I said they couldn't be my students, since mine are far too intelligent to jump out of an airplane.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up!! Took my wife for her 40th and it was amazing! Very honest and safe drop zone in Molalla, OR. Great instructors and very nice looking equipment (Caravans). I would do it again in a second. The view from Mt. Hood was pretty breathtaking from 13K, not having a little Cessna wrapped around me. :-D

did the tandem and loved every bit of it. then 2 failed attempts of static line jump - this jumping out of a moving airplane is not for me. i would rather stay inside.

OP - if you are planning to be a jump zone pilot... you are required to wear a chute.. migth as well know how to use it :D

did the tandem and loved every bit of it. then 2 failed attempts of static line jump - this jumping out of a moving airplane is not for me. i would rather stay inside.

OP - if you are planning to be a jump zone pilot... you are required to wear a chute.. migth as well know how to use it :D

What do you mean by failed attempt? Lol your still alive?

yes, cuz i didnt get out of the plane .... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Haha...ohh okay..so you decided not to jump. I think this will likely be a one and done event for me lol.

I did AFF years ago in San Diego. Really wasn’t apprehensive at all going thru ground training. It wasn’t until climbing out on the first flight is when I started to get nervous big time. Everyone was getting pumped up and joking around while my stomach started to knot up the higher we went. Then, I’m first to jump and once I stood in that door way looking down and the cold air hit me in the face, I seriously almost called “game over man!” One of my instructors was a Navy SEAL though, so I thought, this guy is going to think I’m a total wuss if I don’t jump. Against my better judgment, I stepped out into a quiet abyss that quickly turned into a runaway freight train. They kept giving me the sign to relax but I had no idea what they were referring to. Apparently my fists were clinched and due to my non existent arch, I started to porpoise. Unlike a lot of first AFFs, I didn’t have to be told twice to pull the cord. But, due to my brain fog, I chucked my training cord and had to pay $10 for a new one. :(

The opening was a bit more violent than I imagined and got a few good bruises on my legs. I looked up at the canopy, thanked God and said I’m never doing this again. Once under canopy, the trainer on the ground established comms in my headset and basically having me fly a traffic pattern. Unfortunately, due to my light weight, a big training canopy and winds, I wasn’t going to make it to the “X.” Last I heard in my headset was “dude, you’re not going to reach the DZ and you’re going to disappear behind the hill so you’re going to have to flare on your own!” About 100 yards shy of the DZ and 10 ft too high I flared, hit hard and fell back on my butt.

I never would have finished the remaining 6 jumps but since I had already paid for the program with no refunds, I had to go back. Took 2 months to get the courage but I did. After a couple more jumps, the porpoising went away and I was having a blast. Back flips, 360 degree turns, tracking etc. Got signed off student status but immediately incurred some financial problems and never jumped again. Coolest thing I’ve ever done in my life though. I always tell people, it’s something that you really can’t put into words and have to do at least once in life.

Haha...ohh okay..so you decided not to jump. I think this will likely be a one and done event for me lol.
yupp, the plane was a 206 where you need to get out, hang from the strut and let it go. when they opened the door and asked me to climb out, i put my head out, looked 3500 ft straight down down and said .. HELL NO :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

i still plan on doing the AFF, but from a bigger plane where you stand on the door and the instructors jumps and take your sorry a$$ with ya

Well, maybe not "active" (iirc), but still definitely the resident experts!!

Yeah, Susan gave it up several years ago. I stopped last year. Drop zone changed ownership and it just wasn't the same. Didn't want to continue working there under the new management and didn't want to try to pay for jumping and flying too. Chose the front seat rather than the back.

Back