FedEx 705 simulation- gave me the chills

That was a horrible event that ended better than one would expect. One of the doctors, Morris Ray, that saved the lives of the crew was a neurosurgeon and is also a pilot. He is retired now and is a CFI in Memphis. Doc did my tailwheel endorsement. Real nice guy.

I didn't watch, is that the disgruntled pilot who was jump seating?

Where’s that hatch that drops out the bottom of the plane when you need it? Eeesh, this was pretty awful for the flight crew. Glad they were able to subdue Calloway and survive.

Alas not without long term injury.

My fedex buddy tells me the difference between FedEx pilots and Northwest ones (his father flew for NWA) was that the Norhtwest pilots got hammered before they got on the plane.

Never saw that before. Amazing.

Alas not without long term injury.

My fedex buddy tells me the difference between FedEx pilots and Northwest ones (his father flew for NWA) was that the Norhtwest pilots got hammered before they got on the plane.

That is awful. +1

Flying or AOPA did an article in the last few years about the FO getting back into the air through the LSA route. He had apparently just passed his 1st class less than a month before the incident so never ‘failed’ a medical and had finally recovered enough that he could fly LSA.

I hope he rots in jail for a really long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man ,talk about how lucky the crew was to survive.

There's a full reenactment of this somewhere, I think it was on the air crash investigation series. Probably on youtube if one looks.

Flying or AOPA did an article in the last few years about the FO getting back into the air through the LSA route. He had apparently just passed his 1st class less than a month before the incident so never ‘failed’ a medical and had finally recovered enough that he could fly LSA.

I'm glad to hear that, when I first heard this story I thought the saddest thing was that after all their heroic actions and struggle they'd never get to fly again.

I must be old. I’m surprised at how many people here had not heard of this one. Insanity. Total insanity.

I’ve heard that the CVR unedited is something straight out of a horror movie.

Callaway really has some gall. After all of that he writes to Obama for a pardon!

I agree, but then again he has nothing to lose by asking. Not like they'll give him a 3rd life sentence if it was denied.

Just crazy. What angers me the most is that if you decide to take yourself out, don't try to take a bunch of other people with you.

Just crazy. What angers me the most is that if you decide to take yourself out, don't try to take a bunch of other people with you.

That's what really got me worked up watching this. I probably missed the details, and quite frankly don't know a ton about life insurance through employers, but couldn't he have jumped in front of a bus, make it look like an accident, and claimed the insurance? Or would it have to occur on the job in order for Fedex to cover it?

Also it would have been a little eerie flying that DC-10 after all that went down.

but couldn't he have jumped in front of a bus, make it look like an accident, and claimed the insurance? Or would it have to occur on the job in order for Fedex to cover it?

I've done a little more reading, and it seems that he wanted the plane and one of the theories is he would have flown it into the FedEx superhub at MEM, a la 911. One of the pilots was interviewed and stated that if he simply wanted to bring the plane down, he could have hit the fire suppression switches on all three engines.

Also it would have been a little eerie flying that DC-10 after all that went down.

I'm sure, but after 20 or so years, I imagine it's something that's largely been gotten over.

It's rather surprising to me that they managed to get the plane back into service. My guess is that after looking at the FDR they determined that the design loads of the aircraft were never exceeded, other than landing over the max landing weight, for which the inspection is called out.

TACA flew a 737 into a thunderstorm and landed it on a levee. After unloading it they flew it back out again. The wings had an permanent but allowable 1' extra dihedral afterwards. Southwest flew it for years afterward.

Callaway really has some gall. After all of that he writes to Obama for a pardon!

If there was one US citizen that needed one of those infamous Obama dronings, it would be that asshat

If there was one US citizen that needed one of those infamous Obama dronings, it would be that asshat

That crew was too nice to him, trying to sit on him until the plane landed. They should have whacked him with the hammer until the threat was neutralized.

That crew was too nice to him, trying to sit on him until the plane landed. They should have whacked him with the hammer until the threat was neutralized.

Supposedly when the simulation video says kind things like “they considered killing him” it’s being kind. They were shouting “kill the mother****er” on the recording.

If they hadn’t been injured as badly as they were in the initial attack, I don’t think he’d be alive. Hard to say. But it was definitely a life or death struggle for all of them.

Exactly. Terminate the threat.

If I remember, Calloway was a marshal arts expert, whatever that means. He was about to be terminated for falsifying flight time on his resume to FedEx. It was thought that his plan was to fly the plane into the FedEx administration building to take out as many as he could.

I remember hearing the CVR tapes and it recorded someone yelling to kill to MF. But the pilots were not conditioned for fighting and were also horribly injured, reducing their ability to take down Calloway.

That's been permitted for years now Norm, voluntary however.
Unfortunately there have been more ‘accidental’ discharges in cockpits than bad guys killed since the program began.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately there have been more ‘accidental’ discharges in cockpits than bad guys killed since the program began.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't heard of any. Now there's been a few cases of a pilot forgetting the weapon in the john or elsewhere. I jump seated home one night on Delta and the Capt (old NW & cool) briefed me to lean to the side so he could shoot the intruder should one get into the cockpit. :D

That just proves the FFDO program is an effective deterrent....or that the program uses a funky firearm securing system which leads to negligent discharges...

That just proves the FFDO program is an effective deterrent....or that the program uses a funky firearm securing system which leads to negligent discharges...

Last I heard on one of them, the doofus pulled it out of the holster and was showing it off. Moron. Shot a hole through the floor under the flight bag.

Holstered weapons in a proper holster don’t fire. Leave it there until you’re ready to clear it and choose someplace safe to do that, too.

I haven't heard of any. Now there's been a few cases of a pilot forgetting the weapon in the john or elsewhere. I jump seated home one night on Delta and the Capt (old NW & cool) briefed me to lean to the side so he could shoot the intruder should one get into the cockpit. :D
Pretty sure there was at least 2 inflight. One I am positive about was an America West/US Airways flight on final approach. Pilot was reaching into his flight bag for something and the gun went off.

Last I heard on one of them, the doofus pulled it out of the holster and was showing it off. Moron. Shot a hole through the floor under the flight bag.

Holstered weapons in a proper holster don’t fire. Leave it there until you’re ready to clear it and choose someplace safe to do that, too.
One of the stories out there is that the trigger lock is a pia and they are required to use it before disembarking. Supposedly the ND on the Denver-Charlotte flight happened while the FFDO was securing the weapon. I have no idea if the story is true.

Anyway, I agree that guns aren’t really show n tell items inflight. Drink coffee and snooze while the autopilot takes you to a destination. That’s what I do when I don’t have pax that are talking alla time n disturbing my slumber.

Pretty sure there was at least 2 inflight. One I am positive about was an America West/US Airways flight on final approach. Pilot was reaching into his flight bag for something and the gun went off.
Do they call him Gus now? (It just blew!)

Back