What is your narrowest runway?

35 feet:

https://www.airnav.com/airport/T54

Very close to KSGR (my home airport). If I've gone a couple months+ without a flight, sometimes I grab an instructor to do airwork, including a landing at this one - it's a confidence booster.

Back in my college days we'd have fly-ins to 49R, which was 50' wide. I spent most of my time flying in and out of bigger airports, so that was plenty narrow to me. Felt like a sidewalk!

Anyone have an old A/FD around (Circa 2008 or earlier)? Mountain Meadow (22B) in Burlington CT was pretty narrow, and my CFI took me there for narrow field practice (It was one of the DPE's favorites). The field has since been closed and isn't listed in the Chart Supplement any more.... -Skip

I think at Galt airport 10C in IL 2800x36
They repaved the runway in Juneau a few years ago and we all had to use the taxiway to TO & landing. It's 75' wide, no big deal for GA but Alaska Airlines had to use it as well, it was cool watching a 737 land on the taxiway. I'll bet the cockpit crew said a little prayer on every landing...:)

I've landed at Galt as well. Recalling Galt made me think of Fox River in WI for some reason so I looked it up and it is 36' as well. So I have two at 36'. I still can't think of the 30' one that I believe I may have landed at, so I'll settle for 36' for now. Either way, still a wide runway by some of the accounts. :D

I haven't had the pleasure of landing there, but AirPark Dallas has to be on the list of Oh, **** places to put 'er down. :D

Just out of view in this photo of Runway 34 looking north is the approach to Runway 16, which is over a golf course, a shopping mall, and six lane Park Blvd. The description of the runway isn't confidence inspiring either. :D

01831.jpg
I landed there for the first time on my PP checkride. Narrow is easy.

Why back in the day we landed on runways so narrow we could only have one wheel at a time on it.... by cracky....:lol::lol::lol:

Why back in the day we landed on runways so narrow we could only have one wheel at a time on it.... by cracky....:lol::lol::lol:
I used only one wheel on the narrow runway at BDU...

The narrowest runway I've landed on was 20' wide.

Off airport, the narrowest thing I've landed on was a 1.5 lane wide gravel road. The gravel is loose and there is a decent crown to it so you had better stay in the center or you'll slide off and into the ditch (and wreck the plane). It is also sloped, and you'll possibly be landing under power lines.

Narrowest runway.... hmmm, my wife has a little private strip, never measured it, land on it frequently.

Public use ???
Prior permission required. No aircraft over 12,500 pounds and no commercial operations.

21XS ... AFD says 24 feet..Felt smaller than that.. and the taxiway was just wide enough to keep the undercarriage out of the mud..

Sheep camp. bring on the pits

Attachments

• IMG_1307.JPG
    IMG_1307.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1386.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 18
I landed there for the first time on my PP checkride. Narrow is easy.

That may be true, but when driving on Park Blvd past the Runway 16 threshold, the amount of vegetation growing through the large cracks in the landing surface gives one pause. :D

That may be true, but when driving on Park Blvd past the Runway 16 threshold, the amount of vegetation growing through the large cracks in the landing surface gives one pause. :D

A few years back, Addison was closed weekends for paving and paint work, so lots of people (yours truly, included) were staging to Airpark if weekend travel was in the plans. I had just landed and was in the process of securing the bird when I got to watch one of the night freight A36 Bonanzas land... guess he was freaked out by the narrow runway, confused by the sight picture, maybe bothered by the buildings on short final, whatever it was, he landed hot and long and, from the noises he made, used up a couple of tires.

With an airport like AirPark, you gotta look at the numbers, know the winds, determine your approach strategy, and stick with it.

It looks confined and one might think it takes a tough decision maker to land there but like all such airports it's not as bad as it looks.

3,100' is a lot of runway, and if your speed is right and touchdown point made it shouldn't be too tough.

I just haven't had a reason to land there. :D

Sandia Airpark near Albuquerque, 30-ft. I was a fairly new pilot, on my way from west Texas to Farmington, NM in my 172. There was a gusty quartering x-wind, so I was quite proud of myself that day for landing with body and airplane intact. I remember having a hard time at first finding the airport because the single runway looked like a road.

One of the other threads has a debate going on about whether an instrument rating makes you a better VFR pilot. I can say that after all that time practicing approaches, lining up for an unusual runway is easier. If it has an approach, I fly the approach (most of it) VFR just for practice. But where I'm based now, it doesn't have any public approaches (I say public, because apparently there is one, I just don't have it yet). Setting up an appropriate stablized approach is much easier now than before. Hitting the right speed at the right altitude makes landing on short runways much less exciting in a mooney.

It looked a little better 25 years ago, but still looked like a long sidewalk from final.

Haven't actually landed here, Mallory just SW of CRW, because it's private and a little scary. 2,000 x 20 with a nice big hill maybe 1/4 mile from the end of the runway. One way in, turn around to get out.
a885029a7775e2792cb2cd39929510c2.jpg

Not my video.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One of the other threads has a debate going on about whether an instrument rating makes you a better VFR pilot. I can say that after all that time practicing approaches, lining up for an unusual runway is easier. If it has an approach, I fly the approach (most of it) VFR just for practice. But where I'm based now, it doesn't have any public approaches (I say public, because apparently there is one, I just don't have it yet). Setting up an appropriate stablized approach is much easier now than before. Hitting the right speed at the right altitude makes landing on short runways much less exciting in a mooney.

I would think that most ~20ft wide runways don't have an approach.

Haven't actually landed here, Mallory just SW of CRW, because it's private and a little scary. 2,000 x 20 with a nice big hill maybe 1/4 mile from the end of the runway. One way in, turn around to get out.
a885029a7775e2792cb2cd39929510c2.jpg

Not my video.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I had forgotten about Mallory. That hill is a little more than intimidating when it is windy. Then sit next to a student landing there for the first time. I had one student that based his plane there after he got his certificate.

This is the runway I practiced on before I started flying in Alaska.

Thanks for bringing this one up, I am sure the nightmares will start up again....:lol::lol::lol:

I had forgotten about Mallory. That hill is a little more than intimidating when it is windy. Then sit next to a student landing there for the first time. I had one student that based his plane there after he got his certificate.

This is the runway I practiced on before I started flying in Alaska.

Thanks for bringing this one up, I am sure the nightmares will start up again....:lol::lol::lol:

When I was there I talked to a guy who told me he brought a 310 in there for service. Crazy.

Back