Favorite corn bread recipe

How do you like your corn bread?and how do you serve it?

• Plain corn bread, no chunks in it

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Corn bread with corn kernels in it

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • With honey

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • With molasses

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • With maple syrup

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • With hot sauce

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Corn bread is yucky

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Never had it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mscard wined so you can now choose Mexican style, with peppers and whatnot in it

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Acrodustertoo

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Buford T. Justice
you can't have chili without cornbread!
My ex was from New Orleans and was a very good cook. She made cornbread with a can of creamed corn in it and it was fantastic.
So what is your favorite corn bread recipe?

I like Mexican cornbread. Has jalapeno and corn as ingredients. So, I didn't check any of your choices. :D

I like Mexican cornbread. Has jalapeno and corn as ingredients. So, I didn't check any of your choices. :D

There should be a one hour "Banned for General Principles" for $€*¥disturbers like you. :D

My favorite is the Jiffy cornbread mix but I add shredded cheese and diced jalapeno peppers to it.

Cornbread? All this time I thought you folks in Montana survived on pinecones and squirrel trapping, with the occasional fresh caught mountainstream trout from the flyrod for a treat. ;) :cool:

Off topic, but one of my biz partners lives in Whitefish and now has me addicted to wild huckleberry jam on my breakfast scones.

Real Mexican "chili" doesn't have meat in it. ;)

Should start another poll on what chili should have in it. Beans/no beans, type of beans, etc.

Real Mexican "chili" doesn't have meat in it. ;)

Should start another poll on what chili should have in it. Beans/no beans, type of beans, etc.

Basically that's happening already in the Chili thread. :)

Cornbread? All this time I thought you folks in Montana survived on pinecones and squirrel trapping, with the occasional fresh caught mountainstream trout from the flyrod for a treat. ;) :cool:

Off topic, but one of my biz partners lives in Whitefish and now has me addicted to wild huckleberry jam on my breakfast scones.
Only if our wagon train can get to the mountains, we are snowed in at the moment!

Well let me tell ya, I rushed right over there and gave my chili opinion because...well, I'm at work and have a trainee playing console commander and I have nothing better to do.

This is my recipe, it works for me:

425 oven

large cast iron skillet, put it in the oven to preheat.

Mix:
3 eggs
3 cups buttermilk
3 cups cornmeal, I usually use white
1.5 tsp baking soda

Note: feel free to add cheee, corn, peppers, whatever. Be ready with a second, small skillet for any overflow, though.

The longer the mix rests, the bubblier it will get from the baking soda.

3 TBS vegetable oil

Once the skillet is hot, add the oil and swirl it to coat as much of the sides as possible. Let the oil heat for about 3 mimutes, then pour in the mix. It should sizzle and start searing a crust on the bottom. The skillet will be very full. The final result might even rise above the top of the sides.

Put the skillet in the oven and bake 20-25 minutes.

Last edited:

425 oven

Mix:
3 eggs
3 cups buttermilk
1.5 tsp baking soda

Note: feel free to add cheee, corn, peppers, whatever. Be ready with a second, small skillet for any overflow, though.

3 TBS vegetable oil

Once the skillet is hot, add the oil and swirl it to coat as much of the sides as possible. Let the oil heat for about 3 mimutes, then pour in the mix. It should sizzle and start searing a crust on the bottom. The skillet will be very full. The final result might even rise above the top of the sides.

Thank you Matthew!

Santa brought me a new big ass cast iron skillet, I will have to try this.

Spicy cornbread? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Thank you Matthew!

Santa brought me a new big ass cast iron skillet, I will have to try this.
I worked on that recipe for a while, so it's tailored to my tastes. Like any cornbread, it will dry out, so don't expect the leftovers to be as good. And it makes a LOT.

Butter and honey are my toppings.

425 oven

Mix:
3 eggs
3 cups buttermilk
1.5 tsp baking soda
Good so far...

Note: feel free to add cheese, corn, peppers, whatever.
The warning chime is starting to chirp.

3 TBS vegetable oil

Sacrilege! Gotta be bacon grease, butter or some combination thereof!

425 oven

Mix:
3 eggs
3 cups buttermilk
1.5 tsp baking soda

3 TBS vegetable oil

Yep. It ain't corn bread if it ain't cooked in cast iron....

Oh, you're one of those corn "cake" kind of dudes eh?
Corn is sweet! Cornbread, by definition, should be sweet.

I've never had a lunch interrupted so abruptly by nasty-as*, spicy cornbread at Ajax on the Oxford, MS square.

Good so far...

The warning chime is starting to chirp.

Sacrilege! Gotta be bacon grease, butter or some combination thereof!

Bacon grease is good, but I don't normally have that on hand, and butter on its own will burn. As far as the other ingredients, I leave them out, but they are legal in some States (maybe not on a Federal level, though).

slight bunny trail but does anyone make cornbread in those cutsy little corn cob cast iron pans? My wife bought me a couple, they're seasoned well (and correctly - I do other cast iron cooking) and I cannot come up with a recipe or process to extract an intact corn bread corn cob.

slight bunny trail but does anyone make cornbread in those cutsy little corn cob cast iron pans? My wife bought me a couple, they're seasoned well (and correctly - I do other cast iron cooking) and I cannot come up with a recipe or process to extract an intact corn bread corn cob.

A quick search for "cornbread sticks":

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/cornbread-sticks-recipe.html

http://www.tasteofsouthern.com/southern-corn-sticks-made-from-scratch/

I have no idea if these recipes work.

Thanks, Matthew - will give those a try. Frustrating, as my round pan recipes all come out great. Those little devils may get demoted to the garage for lead casting if these don't work.

Corn bread with some cream corn and cracklin! Yummy!

Back