Favorite corn bread recipe

How do you like your corn bread?and how do you serve it?

• Plain corn bread, no chunks in it

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Corn bread with corn kernels in it

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • With honey

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • With molasses

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • With maple syrup

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • With hot sauce

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Corn bread is yucky

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Never had it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mscard wined so you can now choose Mexican style, with peppers and whatnot in it

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2 cups Aunt Jemima Buttermilk cornmeal Mix (white)
1 cup Quaker (yellow) cornmeal
Add milk to make it mixable
1 egg
Little bit of cooking oil
9x13 pan coated with shortening (don't want the cornbread to stick to pan)
425 oF for 25 min
Makes a thinner, more crispy cornbread, and using mix and regular reduces the salt per serving.

Last edited:
Nobody put molasses on theirs? Or maple syrup? What is going on people?

I like it with honey but prefer with molasses and it is sublime with some pure maple on it.

slight bunny trail but does anyone make cornbread in those cutsy little corn cob cast iron pans? My wife bought me a couple, they're seasoned well (and correctly - I do other cast iron cooking) and I cannot come up with a recipe or process to extract an intact corn bread corn cob.

I have 2 of them but apparently I do not have a good recipe since mine break apart during the extraction. My grandmother could get them out all in one piece. I wish I knew how she did it.

I have 2 of them but apparently I do not have a good recipe since mine break apart during the extraction. My grandmother could get them out all in one piece. I wish I knew how she did it.
i think the trick is to get the pan very hot first, then add some oil or bacon grease, then add the batter. That should start a quick seared crust to form that will help the finished bread release easier.

Because it is a certainty that butter will be installed upon the corn bread once you put it on your plate.
Don't need to poll something that is 100% 100% of the time.

Yup, butter is ass-u-med with corn bread. When I eat out (at a restaurant Mully) the waitress always brings it or it's on the table. The butter that is. :)

i think the trick is to get the pan very hot first, then add some oil or bacon grease, then add the batter. That should start a quick seared crust to form that will help the finished bread release easier.

Thanks, I'll try that. I seem to remember my grandmothers cornbread had a sort of crust on the bottom. Also thinking she used either bacon grease or lard.

Back