Gaston's Fly In 2015 - October 8-11th

my brain will not comprehend not sweating a gallon per hour.
This is why I'm digging the October date.... Should be nice and comfortable as we solve the world's flying problems as we relax at the end of the runway.

I hate this thread. It has made me want to quit my job more than any other thing in months. :(

Where's the evil laugh emoticon?

Hey, Jesse... I know you were planning on coming in at a time that might get you there after dark. For you or anybody else that ends up at Mountain Home (KBPK), if there's a strong westerly wind you might have to find an alternate. Runway 23 is NOTAM'd closed for night landings on all approaches.

KBPK : NIGHT LANDING: RWY 23 NA. 08 SEP 23:09 2015 UNTIL 06 APR 23:09 2016 ESTIMATED.

WTF is that about? Building a cell tower that's not lit yet maybe?

Hey, Jesse... I know you were planning on coming in at a time that might get you there after dark. For you or anybody else that ends up at Mountain Home (KBPK), if there's a strong westerly wind you might have to find an alternate. Runway 23 is NOTAM'd closed for night landings on all approaches.

KBPK : NIGHT LANDING: RWY 23 NA. 08 SEP 23:09 2015 UNTIL 06 APR 23:09 2016 ESTIMATED.

September through April? Sheesh.

Why is that buried under the IAP VOR-A?

Edit: I see - on all approaches. I suppose you can still VFR it in.

Don't forget Flippin is near by.

We're planning on flying down for the day on Saturday. See you all then!

Gotta at least have lunch at Famous Dave's for it to count!

I must admit, I've never just landed at an airport to "claim it" or the state. Personally I do think that's cheating.

My most "'iffy" claim ever was Florida. I flew an iron worker down to buy beer. He was out, it was Sunday, the part of Georgia we were in didn't allow beer sales on Sunday. A good excuse to fly! I had add'l trips into FL after that for more legitimate reasons but that was my first landing in the state! ;)
So your sayin sheep don't count!!!!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Holy ****!!!!

That'll be a treat. Look forward to meeting you, Ted!

You too, Tim!

Laurie and i are bringing the kids. Anyone who wants to hold a baby will have ample opportunity! :)

Also hoping Brandon (bqmassey) will tag along with us. We'll be the 310 filing instruments to the grass strip. :D

You guys been eyeballing the weather? It would appear the aviation gods have blessed you. Here we are calling for rain.

Last edited:
Going to miss everyone this year! Really wanted to come but I have my type ride on Saturday. Even if I get done I won't be able to get up to Gastons until late Saturday night. The logistics just won't work even with being done at 1PM.

I couldn't find a flight from Houston to put me within pickup distance on Saturday. Fayetteville is to far to ask yall to come get me.

Last edited:
We are REALLY looking for a way to make it. We may even fly commercial to Fayetteville or St. Louis and rent a car if the Wx isn't VMC. Too many people we haven't seen in too long. Unfortunately, there's no way we can leave work Friday before about 2.

You guys been eyeballing the weather? It would appear the aviation gods have blessed you. Here we are calling for rain.

I hope not. I'm in the middle of IR training now... Which means, not ready for the clouds yet. :(

Hopefully not the stratus-muck we typically have in the fall.. Much like today.

You too, Tim!

Laurie and i are bringing the kids. Anyone who wants to hold a baby will have ample opportunity! :)

Also hoping Brandon (bqmassey) will tag along with us. We'll be the 310 filing instruments to the grass strip. :D

Awesome!!! I better pick up another brisket!

50+ pounds of USDA Prime Brisket, one pork shoulder, we'll get beef sausages there. Dinner contribution of $5 per person would be about right to cover the meat costs. Can you smell it yet?!

aaf24b9f73592b7e2c1fb251a16c626c.jpg

Troy, you're making me hungry already!

Hubby and I want to go. Can't stay 4 days. Which day is the best to come?

Hubby and I want to go. Can't stay 4 days. Which day is the best to come?

Be there Saturday, including the evening (for Troy's BBQ). Note that I called Clint this afternoon at Gastons and he said there are a couple rooms (including a cabin) for Friday night, but nothing for Saturday night. Leslie and I are planning to make our way down Friday after work via either GA (VFR) or aluminum tube and will trust to luck and the kindness of friends to find a place to lay our heads Friday and Saturday.

Saturday is when we'll be there. Hoping to stay for dinner, but it will depend on the kids.

We can plan an early 4p/5p Saturday dinner, so those that need to depart can eat then go! I would prefer to smoke the briskets on premise but haven't decided yet if that's going to work. The smoker is kind of a big thing to put in the airplane. And it might make it smell like smoke for months to come. I may smoke them before we go, then vacuum seal them and reheat the day of.

Thirty years ago I would have said that if I had tickets to next weekend's Tull concert!

I still anticipate attending, and will bring my shade structure (which, every year, I think is on its last year but keeps surviving). The best part is dumping out the bag full of pipes and plastic and figuring out which goes where. Good entertainment for bystanders.

"Good entertainment for bystanders" I can personally attest to that! I even have pics to prove it. I'm in Seattle right now and don't have pics on my computer to verify here now...but...it IS true. AND...It was SO sweet...awwww...Spike & Tommy putting it up together. :yes:

We can plan an early 4p/5p Saturday dinner, so those that need to depart can eat then go! I would prefer to smoke the briskets on premise but haven't decided yet if that's going to work. The smoker is kind of a big thing to put in the airplane. And it might make it smell like smoke for months to come. I may smoke them before we go, then vacuum seal them and reheat the day of.

And exactly what is wrong with a plane smelling like a smoker? ;)

We transported a smoker in the 310 once and it didn't make the thing smell. I transport dogs that pee and poo and that doesn't make it smell.

An early dinner would definitely increase our chances of being able to stay! :yes:

We are REALLY looking for a way to make it. We may even fly commercial to Fayetteville or St. Louis and rent a car if the Wx isn't VMC. Too many people we haven't seen in too long. Unfortunately, there's no way we can leave work Friday before about 2.

You might want to check out mci as an option as well. Maps say it takes about 1/2 hour longer to drive than STL but could be a good option depending on flight times and airfare.

If we were driving down you could go with us. We will have the backseat out of the 170 and probably not enough useful load for all 4 of us anyway.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Back