Zero time engine cost

ted heck

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ted
What is about the cost of a Zero Time O-320 remanufactured engine these days?
I know you can get one from Lycoming but what are the other options?

Ted

Ted

My guess is 18,000 -21,000 $$$...

Ted

You can only get a "Zero Time" reman from the factory or their assigned representatives. I believe G&N and Mattituck are factory authorized and provide the factory with remans at least on some of the engines, you may check their websites. The price may be required to be the same though.:dunno:

Any A&P can do a Field Overhaul and reset TBO, but it does not zero time the engine.

Last edited:
My guess is 18,000 -21,000 $$$...
Based on internet advertised prices, that sounds about right for an overhauled O-320, but rebuilt (i.e., zero-timed) prices seem more like around $25K. Note that Lycoming no longer uses the term "remanufactured", which was dropped several years ago in favor of the FAA-defined term "rebuilt".

Based on internet advertised prices, that sounds about right for an overhauled O-320, but rebuilt (i.e., zero-timed) prices seem more like around $25K. Note that Lycoming no longer uses the term "remanufactured", which was dropped several years ago in favor of the FAA-defined term "rebuilt".

You are probably right.....

In my old mind I figured someone could buy a brand new 0-320 for around 25 grand....:dunno::confused:

You are probably right.....

In my old mind I figured someone could buy a brand new 0-320 for around 25 grand....:dunno::confused:
It's been quite a while since that was possible -- sad to say. :( I'm thinking $35K is more like it for a new O-320.

It's been quite a while since that was possible -- sad to say. :( I'm thinking $35K is more like it for a new O-320.

Every now and then I'll see a lone one advertised at around $29,xxx. Probably sitting in someone's inventory too long.

Originally Posted by Ron Levy

Every now and then I'll see a lone one advertised at around $29,xxx. Probably sitting in someone's inventory too long.

Geez..... 30- 35 grand for 160 HP...:yikes::hairraise:.......:redface:

Based on internet advertised prices, that sounds about right for an overhauled O-320, but rebuilt (i.e., zero-timed) prices seem more like around $25K.
Yep. The flight school I work at spent around $25K to put an overhauled O-320 in one of our Warriors.

Yep. The flight school I work at spent around $25K to put an overhauled O-320 in one of our Warriors.

The engine itself is usually 50-65% of the total cost of doing an overhaul. As long as your big expensive parts pass to run again, you should be able to do the engine part of it with new cylinders and kits with fresh machine work and everything for the bottom end for between $12-$15k assembled, but not installed. IIRC with a Factory 0 timed FRM -R engine you get all new accessories which are not necessarily required on an overhaul.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ron Levy

Geez..... 30- 35 grand for 160 HP...:yikes::hairraise:.......:redface:

Vans sells new XO-320 Lycomings for $27k. $3k - $9k for paperwork isn't too bad. :dunno: :rolleyes:

Yeah, the experimental versions are a bit cheaper. It amazes me, for that price I can make a reliable 700hp in a Chevy.:nonod:

Nice to know you already own the machines to do that, because you are not going to farm the work out for less than that. Ready to go dragster engine of that quality are around 90-120k

Which spec? Overhauled or rebuilt? Lots of differences there, and the OP was asking about zero-time rebuilt.

Or through money at it.

Personally when it comes time to overhaul my 520, presuming I don't do the 550 swap, I'll get it overhauled by them.

Nice to know you already own the machines to do that, because you are not going to farm the work out for less than that. Ready to go dragster engine of that quality are around 90-120k

You can buy off the shelf parts racing parts and bolt them together. I use Crower Ultralight bottom end kits to my spec and can buy the whole parts list with top quality machine work, and a set of heads of my choice ready to assemble for around $20k, $7k for the supercharger, injection, ignition, and I'm ready to go racing with nothing more exotic in tools than a torque wrench, a digital caliper, and a lap top computer.

The cost of horsepower per horsepower has gone down considerably in my life. The only cost that has really inflated is the cost of fuel, and the ultimate cost as engines that topped out at 2500hp back when I was a kid are now broaching 8000hp (that's where you are spending $100k to build an engine, but you are figuring a huge program like John Force's in that price.) The cost of racing in the pro classes is what has gotten out of hand. It's now cheaper than ever to get into the 7 second bracket though.

Last edited:
Nice to know you already own the machines to do that, because you are not going to farm the work out for less than that. Ready to go dragster engine of that quality are around 90-120k[/QUOTE]

Hardly....

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/lsx-454-r.html

BRAND NEW GM crate motor....... Just keep oil and coolant in it and don't over rev it and the thing will last for years....

That motor on a 182 would be verrrry niiiccceeeee.... :yesnod:

Last edited:
Probably close, but you can't buy direct from Texron Lycoming. they have as dealer net work.

TCM has a order desk. where you can buy all their products. have CC ready.

Probably close, but you can't buy direct from Texron Lycoming. they have as dealer net work.

TCM has a order desk. where you can buy all their products. have CC ready.

Is that really going to be THREE times the engine compared to sending it in for a overhaul at 13k?

Don't most advertised engine prices "presume" you're turning in a serviceable core? If you're buying one out of the crate, or they find a defect in the core, you can get some nasty sticker shock.

Horsepower is cheap nowadays if you only need it for 402m at a time. For a 1/4 mile car, 20-30k will get just about any car to low/sub 10's., 30-40k will get you into 7/8's. Aluminum rods etc with zero life expectancy make things cheap and cheerful near the christmas tree.

When you enter the first turn and expect to come out alive from the other side, thats when it starts to get expensive.

The big ticket items are engine, gearbox and telemetry. On a "proper" racing machine, an engine is around 150-170k, gearbox 120-140k and telemetry setup about 100k.

You can buy off the shelf parts racing parts and bolt them together. I use Crower Ultralight bottom end kits to my spec and can buy the whole parts list with top quality machine work, and a set of heads of my choice ready to assemble for around $20k, $7k for the supercharger, injection, ignition, and I'm ready to go racing with nothing more exotic in tools than a torque wrench, a digital caliper, and a lap top computer.

The cost of horsepower per horsepower has gone down considerably in my life. The only cost that has really inflated is the cost of fuel, and the ultimate cost as engines that topped out at 2500hp back when I was a kid are now broaching 8000hp (that's where you are spending $100k to build an engine, but you are figuring a huge program like John Force's in that price.) The cost of racing in the pro classes is what has gotten out of hand. It's now cheaper than ever to get into the 7 second bracket though.

Is that really going to be THREE times the engine compared to sending it in for a overhaul at 13k?

What made you think my post was about prices?

Buy what you want, I believe the more new parts in the rebuild the better. the more new parts the higher the price, top of the thought is a new engine.

Don't most advertised engine prices "presume" you're turning in a serviceable core? If you're buying one out of the crate, or they find a defect in the core, you can get some nasty sticker shock.

I'm pretty sure $35k is an outright price for new installation.

Horsepower is cheap nowadays if you only need it for 402m at a time. For a 1/4 mile car, 20-30k will get just about any car to low/sub 10's., 30-40k will get you into 7/8's. Aluminum rods etc with zero life expectancy make things cheap and cheerful near the christmas tree.

When you enter the first turn and expect to come out alive from the other side, thats when it starts to get expensive.

The big ticket items are engine, gearbox and telemetry. On a "proper" racing machine, an engine is around 150-170k, gearbox 120-140k and telemetry setup about 100k.

I do them for offshore race boats and they hold up under high loads, including frequently breaking the water and free revving from full throttle, full load. I use either steel or titanium rods, I'm not a fan of aluminum ones. You cannot make horsepower with an air cooled engine like you can with liquid cooling, you just can't get rid of the heat efficiently enough.

You people are smoking crack or must just LOVE to get bent over. I am the type of guy that does research and will not overpay. 2 years ago we did a 0 time major overhaul on my 320 in the 172. I called a good mechanic I know that has been overhauling engines for 30 years. He told me to call J&J airparts and get a overhaul parts list with prices. He came out and pulled the engine and hauled it off with him. All parts were sent out to ECI for yellow tag and inspection. I needed a few lifters and cam I believe. Those parts were bought from aircraft specialties. The cylinders were overhauled by ECI. He built the new engine and came out and installed it. My total bill was $11,000. That includes removing and replacing the engine. I have about 150 hours on it and it runs perfect, it does not use a drop of oil.

You people are smoking crack or must just LOVE to get bent over. I am the type of guy that does research and will not overpay. 2 years ago we did a 0 time major overhaul on my 320 in the 172. I called a good mechanic I know that has been overhauling engines for 30 years. He told me to call J&J airparts and get a overhaul parts list with prices. He came out and pulled the engine and hauled it off with him. All parts were sent out to ECI for yellow tag and inspection. I needed a few lifters and cam I believe. Those parts were bought from aircraft specialties. The cylinders were overhauled by ECI. He built the new engine and came out and installed it. My total bill was $11,000. That includes removing and replacing the engine. I have about 150 hours on it and it runs perfect, it does not use a drop of oil.

I believe that is a "field overhaul" and not a "zero time" factory authorized rebuild. There is a difference in terminology that gets expensive quickly. ;)

I believe that is a "field overhaul" and not a "zero time" factory authorized rebuild. There is a difference in terminology that gets expensive quickly. ;)

Yep, there is a difference mainly the price. The 0 time factory rebuild still reuses all the same parts. I don't see where all the extra cost comes in? I do not see any benefit. I wouldn't pay more for a used plane just because it has a factory overhaul. I trusted my overhaul more, its a 1 man operation.

Back