Your resident beer snob has arrived!!

Your not the only fan of Belgian Beers...

Most of the beer that I drink I make, and I tend to make high gravity (alcohol) beer. I really love the Belgian style, and have brewed quite a few trappist ales. In fact I have a Belgian Dark Strong Ale in secondary right now that I am brewing for Christmas presents for friends and family. I will probably bottle it in another month, then cellar it until December...

I also make a pretty good extra stout. The last batch I added some Peats Major Dickason's Blend Coffee to the secondary. It came out awesome, but you have to like dark beer and dark coffee to really appreciate it.

Sounds pretty good Tony. AleSmiths in San Diego make a Speedway Stout that's pretty simmilar to yours. Good stuff!!

I strongly recommend anyone visiting Calgary, Alberta who is a beer snob hit a bar just outside of downtown called Bottlescrew Bill's...

They have an amazing selection. If you have time, they have a list called "Around the World in 80 Beers" that is precisely what the title indicates.

Once you start to load your own ammo, you begin to realize that a gun is just a single cylinder internal combustion engine that kicks the rod out on every power stroke. ;-)

Why handload? Cartridge guns are a passing fad. They'll never catch on. (said by a charcoal burner - :D )

The best beer I've ever had was while I was in Brazil. There were a few that I really liked. Wish I could remember the names. Penguim was one.

You drank beer in Brazil? Caipirinhas for me, thank you very much. :cheerswine:

We need a smiley with a beer glass. The one with a wine glass just doesn't quite fit in this thread

Nice work quoting Krishnamurti.

I live in the land of beer snobbery (the Northwest). People around here are mostly snobs for American micro-brews, however. We do have some awesome local breweries here in Eugene, Oregon.

Ninkasi! http://www.ninkasibrewing.com/
Oakshire! http://oakbrew.com/

I'm going to be on an extended trip in Europe this fall and plan on making my side project stopping at breweries. Anyone have suggestions?

I live in the land of beer snobbery (the Northwest). People around here are mostly snobs for American micro-brews, however. We do have some awesome local breweries here in Eugene, Oregon.

I'm going to be on an extended trip in Europe this fall and plan on making my side project stopping at breweries. Anyone have suggestions?

If you're in Germany, drop by Ayinger, Schwelmer and Kulmbacher. If you go to Kulmbacher, get a couple cases of their Eisbock and bring it back to me. You would lose all respect for me if you knew what I was willing to do for a 6'er of Eisbock.:eek:

Ganter in Freiburg (in the Black Forest). I have a lot of good memories linked to Ganter Pils.... Sigh.

I'd love to get a case of Jever or Flensburger. Excellent bitter north German Pilsners. In lieu of that I can walk to a local bar and have some excellent Belgian beers such as St Bernardus or Toria Blonde.

The post their weekly tap list on facebook.

I'd love to get a case of Jever or Flensburger. Excellent bitter north German Pilsners. In lieu of that I can walk to a local bar and have some excellent Belgian beers such as St Bernardus or Toria Blonde.

The post their weekly tap list on facebook.

Jever Pils.

Sigh.

Good stuff.

Victory Brewing Company, Downingtown, PA

New Belguim Brewing Company, Ft. Collins, CO

Again, welcome to the board from another beer snob and appreciator of Belgian Trappist Ales. You're right - these 1000+ year old recipes do provide many complexities of flavor that you just don't get with some other beers. What I find interesting is the differences in the flavors as you let the beer warm up a bit.

Despite my fondness for Belgian Ales, they are not the only thing I like, nor my ultimate favorite. I've also become a big fan of American micro-brews, and can generally find something I like from every brewery. Some notable ones are Houston's own Saint Arnold brewery, the Kona Brewery (particularly their Pipeline Porter, made with Kona coffee - yum!), Southern Star Brewery, Rogue, New Belgium, and many others.

Your not the only fan of Belgian Beers...

Most of the beer that I drink I make, and I tend to make high gravity (alcohol) beer. I really love the Belgian style, and have brewed quite a few trappist ales. In fact I have a Belgian Dark Strong Ale in secondary right now that I am brewing for Christmas presents for friends and family. I will probably bottle it in another month, then cellar it until December...

I also make a pretty good extra stout. The last batch I added some Peats Major Dickason's Blend Coffee to the secondary. It came out awesome, but you have to like dark beer and dark coffee to really appreciate it.

The description of that last beer brought a tear to my eye. I'll be in Colorado in Sept. - save me a bottle! :) I'll bring you a bottle of the Cherry Vanilla Stout that I made. It turned out pretty good too - not too much in the way of cherry flavor, but there are some nice, subtle vanilla notes in there.

My very favorite beer ever is from Oregon - the Rogue Chocolate Stout!

Victory Brewing Company, Downingtown, PA

New Belguim Brewing Company, Ft. Collins, CO

Both are very good breweries. Do you listen to the Craft Beer Radio podcast? It's put on by two guys out of Pittsburgh - they do a very good job. They typically meet once a week and sample various beers, providing commentary on each. They also do great coverage of the SAVOR event in Washington, DC every year. Has anyone ever been to this event? It sounds amazing and I'm dying to go someday.

My very favorite beer ever is from Oregon - the Rogue Chocolate Stout!

Yup Rouge makes great beer. I'm Lucky to have one of the Rogue Breweries about half a block from where I work. (Eugene City Brewery). They're main brewery is out at the coast in Newport and is a great stop for lunch. You walk through the main brew room to get to the restaurant where you have a nice view of the bay while you eat and sample beer.

The description of that last beer brought a tear to my eye. I'll be in Colorado in Sept. - save me a bottle! :) I'll bring you a bottle of the Cherry Vanilla Stout that I made. It turned out pretty good too - not too much in the way of cherry flavor, but there are some nice, subtle vanilla notes in there.

Sounds like a fair trade. It could be good incentive to take a Mtn Flying course while in Colorado. I am just a short 1hr flight over 2 passes from Denver. If you make the flight, I guarantee that you will be taking some beer back to try that night.

Sounds like a fair trade. It could be good incentive to take a Mtn Flying course while in Colorado. I am just a short 1hr flight over 2 passes from Denver. If you make the flight, I guarantee that you will be taking some beer back to try that night.

Sounds like a pretty good deal. I'll have to let you know as the time draws nearer.

Both are very good breweries. Do you listen to the Craft Beer Radio podcast?

No I don't. I have lived near both of these breweries so just spent time there and got to know their products.

I enjoy starting a good fight, so I'll throw the first punch. After coming in from mowing in the 100 degree heat we're having, nothing tastes as good as an ice-cold Bud Light.

of course, no one's ever called me a snob of anything before.

Back