your most embarrassing flying moment?

The east/west problem hasn't hit me for a little while, but the potential is always there.

Somewhere, out in the Youtubes, there's a video a guy recorded. He was doing his first glider solo and set up a GoPro in the cockpit. I was the towpilot. From his handheld you can hear me returning to land calling "2 west, correction 2 ea...no..2 west".

I love LiveATC and even ran one of the nodes from my house for a while... but when you fly out of an airport with LiveATC and make a mistake you think, “Awww crap. That’s on the Internet...” hahaha

I love LiveATC and even ran one of the nodes from my house for a while... but when you fly out of an airport with LiveATC and make a mistake you think, “Awww crap. That’s on the Internet...” hahaha
I'm thankful they don't monitor guard. :rolleyes:

That had me laughing, that’s a good one.

And what was equally embarrassing was bad decision number two. An hour later we came to pick them up, we had shut down awaiting the aide’s call. Well this was a non shutdown / loiter LZ because of threat but we weren’t aware of this. Bad guys made me pay for that decision with a 107mm rocket that screamed overhead and hit about 100-150 meters away. They actually had recordings of the icom chatter specifically targeting us but I never got to listen to it. They were probably dumbfounded at how stupid we were to present such an easy target.

Just wasn’t my day that day. Fortunately my GO was cool and didn’t fire me. Although from then on he was a bit jumpy when we punched flares during flight. ;)

Last edited:
Back