You people in NC

I bought mine at northern tool... “all generator sales are FINAL!”is what the sign read... by the time I got to Lowe’s and Home Depot they were all gone... I think they have a very hefty restocking fee for generators though...

The week after a storm misses an area is a good time to buy portable generators, pumps and chainsaws.

All the hardware stores around here are busting at the seams with generators and bottled water.

A street in Chapel Hill Monday morning. Came on suddenly.
BD9C8743-B987-498F-AD42-12DEF198922D.jpeg

Last edited:
We had a little bit of standing water on the edge of our runway, but there are people flying today. I managed to get a propane delivery Wednesday before the store assuring that there would be no power outage here.

The cover partially blew off my boat ending up in the water (no damage to the boat).
It's sitting on my ramp right now drying out.

We were without power from 0530 Friday until 1800 Sunday, periodically ran the generator to keep fridge and freezers cold. The road leaving the neighborhood was flooded at the intersection with the 2 lane country road. Lost the tops of a few trees in my yard, a lot of branches and leaves everywhere. A lot of the flooded local roads are clear now, was able to drive to Oak Island and Southport yesterday and businesses are starting to reopen. Southport is still closed to entry due to trees and wires down, and flooded streets. US-17 is still flooded toward Wilmington, but heard news reports yesterday of 2 routes to bypass flooded sections of I-40 between Raleigh and Wilmington. Due to water main damage some areas are under a boil water advisory. Some parts of the county still isolated by flood waters were delivered emergency supplies by helicopter yesterday.

Over half of the storm related fatalities involve motor vehicles. This includes driving around barricades and entering flood-waters going fast enough that car hydroplanes and ends up in the oncoming lane. It's not like people weren't told 'turn around, don't drown' for days leading up to the rather predictable event:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-hurricane-deaths-20180918-story.html

Raises the question of whether you should count as victim of the storm if it was your own unwise decisions that killed you (or your child).

Stopped in the Huntersville Home Depot yesterday, two people returning generators and a stack of returned ones behind the counter.

I bet all the same people who returned them are going to run back out and "buy" another one next time a storm comes along. If I were Home Depot, I'd just ship them to the next place a storm is predicted. "Well, we're out of new ones, but we do have this stack of lightly used ones..."

I bet all the same people who returned them are going to run back out and "buy" another one next time a storm comes along. If I were Home Depot, I'd just ship them to the next place a storm is predicted. "Well, we're out of new ones, but we do have this stack of lightly used ones..."

Rent them.

They usually have a no refunds no returns policy .

Mark, that was down by the mall in Chapel Hill, right? That place floods frequently, I can remember flooding down there after intense thunderstorms. Its all about the creek rising.

I flew over eastern NC in the central and northern parts yesterday and it didn't look so bad right now. The worst place I saw was Newport, NC, about 5 miles south of Cherry Point MCAS. There was some flooding there, a few houses and some flooding in Kinston, mostly roads. I could see that there had been flooding elsewhere, but it had receded.

Different story in the SE part of the state.

....I flew over eastern NC in the central and northern parts yesterday and it didn't look so bad right now....

Wasn’t there a coupl’a TFRs over most of coastal NC/SC yesterday?

Wasn’t there a coupl’a TFRs over most of coastal NC/SC yesterday?

Yes, it was Tuesday. There were TFRs Wed, but they contained exceptions for aircraft involved with hurricane recovery work, so the visit would have minimal impact on work.

In other news, I can confirm free beer tomorrow. I just cannot confirm where.

Back