You must wait 25 seconds ...

Domenick

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Domenick
Why would I get a message like this when trying to post?

It’s a spam prevention thing set by the software.

If someone wanted to spam they could build a bot to post every 30 seconds. But I guess if there was zero delay you could suddenly have hundreds or thousands of posts to moderate, whereas with 30 seconds you’ll get wind of an issue while it’s still manageable.

I don't remember if it was this forum or another I frequent, but I know they got nailed with a spam bot that posted 100s if not 1000s of new posts, in Chinese symbols, that took over every sub-forum on the page. In seconds all you could see on the forum was Chinese characters burying all the legitimate posts. The wait time at least helps slow it down long enough for a moderator to block the spammer before the entire forum is jammed.

I don't remember if it was this forum or another I frequent, but I know they got nailed with a spam bot that posted 100s if not 1000s of new posts, in Chinese symbols, that took over every sub-forum on the page. In seconds all you could see on the forum was Chinese characters burying all the legitimate posts. The wait time at least helps slow it down long enough for a moderator to block the spammer before the entire forum is jammed.
I’m not saying that you are wrong, but I remember something similar happening but it was Korean characters. But we could be thinking of different events and websites.

What exactly is the purpose of the delay?

It’s a POA setting. Other Tapatalk forums don’t have it.

If it is to avoid spam bots, why do we need it for editing posts?

I don't think there's such a thing as a "tapatalk forum". there are online forums that you can connect to via TT. I'm on other forums that have similar delay settings. and I don't think the delay is in EDITING, just creating, although I could be wrong (I'll test with this one)
EDIT: tested in <30 seconds

I don't think there's such a thing as a "tapatalk forum". there are online forums that you can connect to via TT. I'm on other forums that have similar delay settings. and I don't think the delay is in EDITING, just creating, although I could be wrong (I'll test with this one)
EDIT: tested in <30 seconds

That’s what I meant. Other forums accessed through TT don’t have it.

And yes, here in POA, the time delay applies to editing posts which I seem to do often because iPhone autocorrect hates me

It’s an anti-spam feature that we have running. You’d be surprised what spam-bots are capable of. Btw, we’re a Xenforo forum, not Tapatalk.

...And yes, here in POA, the time delay applies to editing posts which I seem to do often because iPhone autocorrect hates me

I disagree, as noted in my post above. I posted, then immediately edited my post.

Test thru TT…..

yeah, wouldn't let me thru TT. so, TT setting? lemme try another forum......

interesting, was able to post then immediately edit thru TT on 2 other forums. not sure why I care one iota, but there ya go.

Last edited:
Either eman is screwing with me or Tapatalk hates me.

Either is possible

Either eman is screwing with me or Tapatalk hates me.

Either is possible

not screwing with u. I can immediately edit a PoA post on a pc. couldn't do it thru TT but COULD do it on 2 other forums on TT. not sure why I spent the time doing it because who cares.

not screwing with u. I can immediately edit a PoA post on a pc. couldn't do it thru TT but COULD do it on 2 other forums on TT. not sure why I spent the time doing it because who cares.
Ok, that matches what I see. No delay on computer, just POA when accessing through TT.

So...back to my original question: why does TT impose an editing delay on POA but not other forums?

Thanks for the explanation. It's not something I typically see, so I suspect I inadvertently double-clicked. The POA setting doesn't bother me.

I REALLY didn't mean to turn this into a controversy. I was just curious as it seemed to me to be new behavior.

I’m not saying that you are wrong, but I remember something similar happening but it was Korean characters. But we could be thinking of different events and websites.

Korean, Chinese, Japanese, I honestly wouldn't know the difference. I'll take your word for it, but I couldn't read it!

Back