You know that rvsm thingy we made you get......

Could this remove the 28,000 ft altitude limit on the Cirrus jet?
I'm assuming so. I talked with one of the test pilots at a Cirrus event at HPN and he told me they have all technology for RVSM airspace, autothrottle, etc, they just haven't certified it yet. I'm guessing they'll have a G2 Vision Jet in a few years with the added features.

:thumbsup:

I was wondering what Cirrus was going to do for a Generation 2 jet (other than paint schemes and fancier exterior lighting).

They have done such an impressive job with thoughtful design on v.1 they just don't seem to have all the obvious new improvements running room they had over 15 years on the piston planes.

All the FAA is proposing is to drop the requirement to have a "Letter of Authorization" to operate in RVSM airspace if the aircraft has ADS-B out. The airplane still has to meet the same RVSM requirements as before.

From: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...cast-ads-b-out-in-support-of-reduced-vertical

"Accordingly, under this proposal, the requirement to submit applications for RVSM authorization would no longer be applied to operators of aircraft that are equipped with qualified ADS-B Out systems and meet altitude-keeping equipment performance requirements for operations in RVSM airspace. By eliminating this application requirement, the proposal would reduce both operators' costs and FAA workload, while maintaining the existing level of safety. Additionally, since RVSM airspace has been implemented worldwide, the proposal would also remove the detailed designations of where RVSM may be applied that are currently found in Appendix G of part 91."

WooHoo!
I can put the oxygen bottle on the front seat and zoom climb the Cub to 2,000 ft.
Then I can throw the bottle over the side and get another 500 feet.

Hard to get excited about some of the news, but I try.

If you'd spent $100,000 getting something you are told you no longer need, excitement might come

The equipment requirements aren't changing, just the required paperwork if you have ADS-B out.

If you'd spent $100,000 getting something you are told you no longer need, excitement might come

The LOA being reverenced is mostly a paperwork function. Review what equipment is installed in the airplane (owner provides records with the application) and the FAA approves it or requests corrections. There will be no operators out of mega bucks for nothing. They will still be required to perform the RVSM inspections. They will still need ADS-B out and transponders.

Wasn't there also only a few RVSM checkpoints over the US the type had to fly over to get that approval?

I think monitoring (RVSM operation validation) is still required in some form.

I think the maximum cabin pressure differential will keep it from going much higher.

Possibly, but Cirrus themselves said the 28k limit was to avoid the additional RVSM certification requirements (and presumably costs and time delays to market?).

Back