Yipes!!!

You guys must really be bored today...go flying or something for heaven's sake.

But I guess we're proving that "cable news" indeed has an audience.

front_page_sat.gif

We're bored.

It was a HOAX!!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/18/colorado.balloon.investigation/index.html

Three days after the world watched a giant balloon fly through the air and a tearful family express fears that their 6-year-old boy could be inside, authorities announced what millions already suspected: The whole thing was staged.
Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden tells reporters Sunday the "balloon boy" incident was a hoax. It was carried out by a couple who met "in acting school in Hollywood" and "put on a very good show for us," said Sheriff Jim Alderden of Larimer County. Authorities know there was "a conspiracy" between Richard and Mayumi Heene, he said.

"It has been determined that this is a hoax," he said. "We believe we have evidence at this point that it was a publicity stunt."

/sarcasm/I think after all of this, the media will try to make sure all the facts are gathered before "breaking" the story. /sarcasm/

In other news, I'm still glad the kid is ok. Stranger things have happened in the world.

/sarcasm/I think after all of this, the media will try to make sure all the facts are gathered before "breaking" the story. /sarcasm/
It was more than the media that was fooled. These folks wanted attention and they certainly got it. Wonder if they regret it... nah, they'll still find a way to cash in.

Yeah, I thought it was true, too. Just the way of the world, I suppose.

Wow, using the kid to better their business. I'd like to think society won't accept it, but you and I both know he'll be on a reality show on VH1 shortly.

Wow, using the kid to better their business. I'd like to think society won't accept it, but you and I both know he'll be on a reality show on VH1 shortly.
Why not? <Name your favorite extreme political organization> have been using children to better their business (further their agenda) for years now. No one seems to care.

The CNN article indicates that Child Protective Services is looking at the situation with an eye towards removing the children from the parents. This whole thing is getting uglier by the minute. A sad picture of the human condition in the 21st century. There being no further aviation issues at stake (other than the potential for the FAA to run an enfocement action against the dad for violating Part 101), I'm done with this before it makes me angry or nauseous -- y'all carry on without me.

The CNN article indicates that Child Protective Services is looking at the situation with an eye towards removing the children from the parents.

Knee, meet jerk.

Really. Even if this were a stunt, it doesn't make them bad parents. Unless, of course, it's government's job to decide how parents must raise children to assimilate them into conformance. 1984, here we come.

This whole thing is getting uglier by the minute. A sad picture of the human condition in the 21st century. There being no further aviation issues at stake (other than the potential for the FAA to run an enfocement action against the dad for violating Part 101), I'm done with this before it makes me angry or nauseous -- y'all carry on without me.

Same here.

What is wrong with people that they can't live half-way normal lives anymore?!

Unless there's a lot more hard information about this 'case' than the public is aware of, I honestly can't see how any 3rd rate defense attorney couldn't build a plausible defense for the charge that this was a deliberate hoax.

For example
- The 'launch' - the kids were supposed to tie the extra long tether before we did the test- launch to test the climb rate of the balloon - the timing was important, thus the count down. I was angry because the tether was never tied.
- The kids 'we did it for the show' - the kid is 6. Maybe the kid just meant the balloon was for the new reality show and since he'd been yelled at for climbing in the balloon before, he thought he was in trouble. Asked why he didn't come out, "you said we did it for the show" could mean he thought he was in really really big trouble cause he broke the balloon and made it fly away because he'd crawled around it earlier. IT doesn't HAVE to make sense - HES SIX

I'm not saying I think it wasn't a hoax - I'm not defending the family. But I figure this 'case' is gonna be a huge waste of time.

Unless there's a lot more hard information about this 'case' than the public is aware of, I honestly can't see how any 3rd rate defense attorney couldn't build a plausible defense for the charge that this was a deliberate hoax.

For example
- The 'launch' - the kids were supposed to tie the extra long tether before we did the test- launch to test the climb rate of the balloon - the timing was important, thus the count down. I was angry because the tether was never tied.
- The kids 'we did it for the show' - the kid is 6. Maybe the kid just meant the balloon was for the new reality show and since he'd been yelled at for climbing in the balloon before, he thought he was in trouble. Asked why he didn't come out, "you said we did it for the show" could mean he thought he was in really really big trouble cause he broke the balloon and made it fly away because he'd crawled around it earlier. IT doesn't HAVE to make sense - HES SIX

I'm not saying I think it wasn't a hoax - I'm not defending the family. But I figure this 'case' is gonna be a huge waste of time.

The father knew (or should have) that balloon would not lift a 6 year old kid. Hell, look how it went up in the video, there's no way there was 50lbs or ballast in the carton. They knew, absolutely 100% that their kid wasn't in it. I also hear that the first call that was made was not to the authorities, but to the news station? Unconfirmed rumor on that.

I hope they send them a bill for the SAR.

The father knew (or should have) that balloon would not lift a 6 year old kid. Hell, look how it went up in the video, there's no way there was 50lbs or ballast in the carton. They knew, absolutely 100% that their kid wasn't in it. I also hear that the first call that was made was not to the authorities, but to the news station? Unconfirmed rumor on that.

I hope they send them a bill for the SAR.
The first part assumes the father's knowledge and understanding of aerodynamics - good luck with that one in court.

The second - "He was looking to get a news chopper to follow the balloon"

Remember, the defense attorney doesn't have to prove his arguments. He only needs to establish reasonable doubt.

The first part assumes the father's knowledge and understanding of aerodynamics - good luck with that one in court.

The second - "He was looking to get a news chopper to follow the balloon"

Remember, the defense attorney doesn't have to prove his arguments. He only needs to establish reasonable doubt.

He built the balloon himself, and had built them in the past. He knew. If I am on the jury, guilty. Then again, I will never get picked to be on a jury.

The CNN article indicates that Child Protective Services is looking at the situation with an eye towards removing the children from the parents. This whole thing is getting uglier by the minute. A sad picture of the human condition in the 21st century. There being no further aviation issues at stake (other than the potential for the FAA to run an enfocement action against the dad for violating Part 101), I'm done with this before it makes me angry or nauseous -- y'all carry on without me.

:yikes: Let's see.. Its the middle of the week at about noon.... Kids are NOT in school,,,, Both parents home,, read "NOT" working.. I can't wait to see all the grizzly details of this fine outstanding hard working american family..

:eek::mad3:

He built the balloon himself, and had built them in the past. He knew. If I am on the jury, guilty. Then again, I will never get picked to be on a jury.

Yeah but you'd just be the cause of the hung jury.

Nah, I'm a hell of a salesman. 25 minutes of deliberation, max. Guilty!

Actually, when you get a jury back that fast, it's generally an acquittal.

That's obviously not true for minor cases when the evidence is as damning as can be, but it's generally true. When you get notice that the jury's reached its verdict in a short period of time, you expect to hear "acquittal."

That's obviously not true for minor cases when the evidence is as damning as can be, but it's generally true. When you get notice that the jury's reached its verdict in a short period of time, you expect to hear "acquittal."

I've never been on a jury. :D

Supposedly the sheriff got his hands on some emails from prior to the stunt describing/planning it. In that case, I don't think it'll be hard to convict.

Supposedly the sheriff got his hands on some emails from prior to the stunt describing/planning it. In that case, I don't think it'll be hard to convict.
*IF* true, then yes, I agree - it'll be hard for a defense attorney to build a plausible denial with such damning evidence. Only hope is to have that evidence excluded.

Supposedly he believes the world will end in 2012 and wants money to build an underground bunker.

I've got one question. How's a bunker going to help if the sun explodes?

CNews said:
"Heene believes the world is going to end in 2012," she said. "Because of that, he wanted to make money quickly, become rich enough to build a bunker or something underground, where he can be safe from the sun exploding."
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2009/10/17/11435656-ap.html

That woulda been on heck of a bunker. Perhaps one of the engineering types here could draw up some specs and cash in. :rolleyes:
It really isn't the architecture that will matter if the sun explodes. It is really the basic of good real estate that will save one's bacon, i.e. location, location, location. He would need for his little jiffy-pop flying saucer to lift up him, the kids, and mom and go to the nearest solar system with a habitable planet in it.

The last time I was on a jury we spent more time eating the donuts the judge left for us in the jury room than we did deliberating the verdict. I was elected foreman. And we found 100% for the plaintif. Bad news can come for defendants quite quickly some times. :D

Seen on textsfromlastnight.com:

"Thank God they found balloon boy, I was afraid that Michael Jackson was ordering take out from heaven."

:rofl:

And now a confession

The wife of a Colorado father at the center of the "balloon boy" saga told authorities that the giant helium balloon was specifically created for a hoax to draw media attention, according to court documents released Friday.

Mayumi Heene told Larimer County investigators that she and her husband, Richard Heene, knew that their 6-year-old son Falcon was hiding at their Fort Collins home the entire time, even as police and military scrambled to search for the boy, according to the documents.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/23/colorado.balloon.investigation/index.html

I wonder what Mr. Amatuer Scientist will be investigating in the shower of the CO prison system?

I saw the "launch" video - clearly the 'rents were there.

I DO think its plausible - ONLY plausible - that what the boy meant by the "did it for the show" comment was something like "I hid cause the balloon was for dad's new storm chaser show and I got in trouble once already for climbing in the balloon so when it flew away I thought I'd be in even MORE trouble."

He's 6, for crying out loud - how subtle about any dishonesty can he be, really? I mean, I don't think 6 yr olds are pure as the driven snow - just that their lies are pretty stupid and easy to catch them in.

Well because now they apparently have a statement from the mother admitting it was a hoax to make them more marketable for TV. What they did to the public was wrong what they did to their kids was 10 times worse.
http://start.verizon.net/vznisp/portal/NewsChannel.aspx?ArticleID=D9BHE9580&CatID=TopHeadlines

Back