Yakima, WA

Living in Portland, the joke was, “Summer was on a Thursday last year and I had to work,”

About 20 yrs ago, I was in Portland for a few days during July. The big story on all the news outlets was the 41 straight days without rain. I was going to rent a 152 at Pearson field and fly to Newport for the day. That was on day 42. I was rained out.

come July tell me how hot it is? or January, tell me how much you like the snow and ice roads. :)
Like a number of Westsiders, you have no idea what you are talking about. Must be from all that moss from all that rain you get. Hot - a little bit and what’s all this ice and snow you’re talking about. Yakima is not Alaska - it’s part of the “Banana Belt” that stretches to Lewiston, Idaho.

That's the nice thing about WA. If you don't care for wet and moldy on the west side, within a two hour drive you can enjoy dust and wildfires on the east side.

That's the nice thing about WA. If you don't care for wet and moldy on the west side, within a two hour drive you can enjoy dust and wildfires on the east side.

Yup, and some of my logged "actual" time is due to smoke from one of those fires. At about 10,000 MSL, no less.

Fires in Washington. Mt. St. Helen in front of Mt. Rainier

Back when the salvage yard in Omak was in business I flew the nifty 50 over the hills to search for parts, mid morning arrival wasn't so bad, it was only 98 degrees, come late afternoon departure, it was 122 degrees and the nifty 50 wouldn't fly. by 02:00 it had cooled down enough to depart. then a 30 minute climb in the dark to reach safe altitude to cross back over the cascades at Night.
highest temp I've seen here in 40 years, 96f
Sure is fun flying on the high desert in the summer.

When I say wet side it's not a typo.

When I say wet side it's not a typo.
Having grown up in Seattle, I know exactly what you mean, although the dominant feature is overcast, rather than actual quantity of rain. The last time I looked it up, Portland got both more inches of rain AND more sunny days than Seattle.

Back