XC time logging for IFR training

Offering people a cookie is "nice". :D (I think that was a catch phrase from a comedian from way back when, but I can't remember exactly who).

Anyway - I do like to simplify things whenever possible.

And we're all here because we somehow convince ourselves to spend a lot of money on a great hobby. So not my intentions to insult, prove I'm smarter, have better looking hair, whiter teeth, or that women swoon when I tell them I'm a pilot (tried that on my wife - she nodded and smiled, and rolled her eyes LOL). Just adding my 2 cents to conversations.

@WDD. Thanks for the explanation.

I’m sorry if my posts was too strong. That wasn’t my intention.

FAA is not simple and I had to go thru all this with my instructor at the time.

Blue skies

Neither KLHM nor KSCK is more than 50 miles from KSAC - where I start. But the flight from KLHM to KSCK + KSCK to KSAC still counts as CC.

Just to clarify (or not), the flight from KLHM to KSCK then to KSAC does count as long as your original point of departure was KLHM. I think we all understand this, but this was your last post on that topic so wanted to be sure it makes sense.

As said before, it just means you took a one-way flight from KSAC to KLHM. Then you did a one way flight from KLHM to KSCK then to KSAC which makes this flight all loggable/countable cross country PIC time toward your instrument rating since KLHM to KSCK is >50nm.

A reason I wanted to add yet another clarification is that when you get to your check ride and the DPE is reviewing your logbooks and without this flight you're short of the PIC CC hours, they will most likely ask how this counts. In this case, to keep it clean, it's probably better to make a line in your logbook read KSAC to KLHM and the next line on the same day read KLHM to KSCK to KSAC with the CC time counted.

On a side note, this is actually one of several reasons I'm glad I didn't start working on my IR immediately after getting my private. I don't know off the top of my head how many PIC CC hours I have but I know it's WAY above the min required without any "does it count?" questions needed!

Just to clarify (or not), the flight from KLHM to KSCK then to KSAC does count as long as your original point of departure was KLHM. I think we all understand this, but this was your last post on that topic so wanted to be sure it makes sense.

As said before, it just means you took a one-way flight from KSAC to KLHM. Then you did a one way flight from KLHM to KSCK then to KSAC which makes this flight all loggable/countable cross country PIC time toward your instrument rating since KLHM to KSCK is >50nm.

A reason I wanted to add yet another clarification is that when you get to your check ride and the DPE is reviewing your logbooks and without this flight you're short of the PIC CC hours, they will most likely ask how this counts. In this case, to keep it clean, it's probably better to make a line in your logbook read KSAC to KLHM and the next line on the same day read KLHM to KSCK to KSAC with the CC time counted.

On a side note, this is actually one of several reasons I'm glad I didn't start working on my IR immediately after getting my private. I don't know off the top of my head how many PIC CC hours I have but I know it's WAY above the min required without any "does it count?" questions needed!

Yes, thanks for pointing it out. So, it makes more sense to log it as two different legs, just to avoid any confusion with your DPE in the future.

Yes, thanks for pointing it out. So, it makes more sense to log it as two different legs, just to avoid any confusion with your DPE in the future.

This. A simple idea / comment that will make all the difference in the world for someone at a check ride. Love this forum!

Back