Wright Patt Air Force museum

Wright Patt is great, but almost too big. It would be much better if you don't plan to go for a day, but instead a weekend. We tried to see it all in a day, and we ended up rushing past exhibits in the last half of the day.

It's been years since I was there. But it was great. On the bucket list to do again.

Wright Patt is great, but almost too big. It would be much better if you don't plan to go for a day, but instead a weekend. We tried to see it all in a day, and we ended up rushing past exhibits in the last half of the day.
Coincidentally we met my parents at the museum last week and did exactly that. Spent two 6-hour days there. I’d been there for a day about two years ago and that just wasn’t enough. Two days let’s you easily break it in half: first two hangars on day one, the other two the next.

It’s free, open 7 days a week. No completely convenient GA airport to use to get there but I think I used I19 and stayed in Xenia.

Coincidentally we met my parents at the museum last week and did exactly that. Spent two 6-hour days there. I’d been there for a day about two years ago and that just wasn’t enough. Two days let’s you easily break it in half: first two hangars on day one, the other two the next.

It’s free, open 7 days a week. No completely convenient GA airport to use to get there but I think I used I19 and stayed in Xenia.
They still have the Annex? There was a lot of interesting stuff being restored there too.

They still have the Annex? There was a lot of interesting stuff being restored there too.
The "Presidential Hangar" is definitely worth a visit. Don't know how they handle it now, but used to be you had to make a request once you got there.

Definitely a multiday visit to see it all.

I was in the area once on a business trip, flying out of Dayton on airlines. Had just a bit of time to kill before heading to the airport to catch my flight...maybe an hour...maybe 90 minutes, can't recall for sure. I literally jogged through the place to see as much as I could...saw most of it....not well, but I saw it!

I've always said it was probably the best aviation museum I've ever been to.
It was a long time later that I went to the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola...too much time between to compare, so now I can't really say which was better....and I'm a bit partial to Navy for some reason.... Regardless, the AF museum was extremely good!

Annex? Not sure.

I’d been there maybe 10 years ago, back when the cafe was under the XB-70. It was a great museum then.

When I went there again 2 years ago I was amazed at how huge it now is. Four massive, themed buildings (Early Years, WWII, Cold War, Research, I believe) and an awe-striking missile “cylinder” building connecting 3 and 4.

Didn’t see any reference to an annex or area where they’re working on new stuff. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t there - just that we were worn out after 12 total hours!

I know this is kind of a zombie thread, but I couldn't find anything more recent. I'm planning a 2-day trip with my 15 year-old aspiring-pilot son and my wife to visit the US Air Force Museum in our (rental) 172M from Maryland, some time in the early summer of next year.

Has anyone visited there via GA recently? I see some airports in the vicinity (Greene Cty, Springfield/Beckley, Moraine, & Dayton Int'l) , nothing real convenient, but which (if any) of those offers cheap transportation options other than rideshare, and decent places to stay?

I'm an Air Force retiree and have visited the museum before, but that was eons ago, and my I and family would like to pay it a visit.

Thanks and cheers, Allan

I flew into Greene County about two years ago. Took me a while to figure out which one it was as it was i19 at the time lol. Awesome little airport. I was only able to go to the museum for a couple hours, so I used one of their crew cars. It was a very easy drive from there. I seem to recall there being hotels right across from the museum. @X3 Skier is/was a docent there and could provide more help.

If you have dates, sign up for the restoration hangar tour.

If you don't get a reservation, show up early and get in the standby line. A lot of people no-show.

We went into Moraine. Got Enterprise rental. No parking fees. Self-serve fuel.

Have been there several times,always a good take two days make it more relaxing. I usually stay at green Jackson county a short Uber ride to the hotel,and another even shorter ride to the museum from the hotel.

I could spend a day just studying their engines. Seeing the slow evolution of the piston engine, and how some of the 100 year old DNA still lives in our current motors was fascinating.

I also had no idea how truly gigantic the Valkyrie was. Made their (2 or 3?) SR-71s look like playthings.

Four Buildings and on Tall Cylinder to hold ICBM's etc. Official name is National Museum of the USAF. GDK (Formerly I19) is your best bet. The FBO has nice crew cars.

I volunteer there a few days a month. There are free guided tours of the buildings daily but not each one every day. The NMUSAF Web Site has a ton of information.

Plan on at least 2 days and more if you can.

I last visited this past summer. You can zip through it in a day, but if you really want to see things in detail, you'd need multiple days - or focus on a portion of the museum.

Very much worth a visit!

- Martin

@Jim K @Pinecone @flyingron @frfly172 @X3 Skier @Martin Pauly , Thanks to all for the excellent responses! Just the inside info I needed to know regarding the airports and transportation options. Right now, the plan is to depart in the early AM, get to the museum for as long as we can the first day, then spend the whole next day there and return the morning after that. We don't have exact dates yet, but it'll be in early June.

@schmookeeg , the Udvar-Hazy annex to the National Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport has an outstanding engine display section, including a cut-away R-4360 and the one-of-a-kind Lycoming XR-7755.

Cheers, Allan

I used to volunteer there. Pro tip…. Start in Gallery 4, at the back and work your way forward. This way when you are tired from walking, you are closer to the front. Also, most folks start in gallery 1, so why not go directly to the back and skip the crowds.

I used to volunteer there. Pro tip…. Start in Gallery 4, at the back and work your way forward. This way when you are tired from walking, you are closer to the front. Also, most folks start in gallery 1, so why not go directly to the back and skip the crowds.
Sounds like an excellent plan, thanks!

Actually flying to Dayton in about an hour to go see USAF museum. Staying overnight.
Any recommendations on best exhibits? I'll have about 1-2 hours today at most, and then about 4-5 hours tomorrow before I fly home.
Not nearly enough time it doesn't seem like, but never been so wanted to see it.

Actually flying to Dayton in about an hour to go see USAF museum. Staying overnight.
Any recommendations on best exhibits? I'll have about 1-2 hours today at most, and then about 4-5 hours tomorrow before I fly home.
Not nearly enough time it doesn't seem like, but never been so wanted to see it.
The buildings are set up by timeline. I like the WWII era planes I usually go through that building first. I also like all the Presidential transport planes. I like reading the history that surrounds the many versions of Air Force One. They have N26000 - the 707 that brought JFK back from Dallas.

I too spent most of my time in the wwii hangar. Seeing the real "Memphis Belle" and "Bockscar" blew my mind, as did the ME-262. Then the B36 and B1 took up too much time, so I mostly missed the last hangar, which I very much regret as I only saw the XB70 from a distance. Apparently I like bombers. The NE corner of hangar three has a F117 that's cool to see up close, and you can see the A10 and its gau 8 cannon on the way.

When I volunteer, I’m usually in the first or second Buildings (Early Years/WWII And SEA/Korea).

But everybody has their own perspective

When I volunteer, I’m usually in the first or second Buildings (Early Years/WWII And SEA/Korea).

Yeah… I think they have a plane in the early years you helped develop at WP! :)

I had 5 hours in there today and spent almost the entire time in the early years/WWII area. Loved it. Easily could have done another hour in there. I likely spent 1.5hrs alone reading about the different engines.
I thought I'd taken a wrong turn to the Korea exhibit when I come in, look up and see an MQ9, and then an F22 next to the Korean War sign.
Guessing I stumbled into the overflow lot? :)
1702087134102.png

I had 5 hours in there today and spent almost the entire time in the early years/WWII area. Loved it. Easily could have done another hour in there. I likely spent 1.5hrs alone reading about the different engines.
I thought I'd taken a wrong turn to the Korea exhibit when I come in, look up and see an MQ9, and then an F22 next to the Korean War sign.
Guessing I stumbled into the overflow lot? :)
View attachment 123129
They call that the "Circle of Technology". From the Wright Flyer to the F-22 to the Bird of Prey. The Flyer and Bird are hanging from the roof. (Just a handy place to hang the Reaper AFAIK) (You can also see a Global Hawk up there as well on the Korea Side opposite the Reaper)

Back