Wow. Somebody needs to kill more cows.

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Whole brisket is $7/lb!! That's around $80-$90 each. Crazy expensive. We have connections, hopefully we can get a good deal.

Looks like next weekend is going to add up. Probably $250 of brisket, $50-$75 of pork butts. Haven't priced ribs for a while. Sausage is already made, and yardbird is always more expensive than it should be. Will probably get a beef tenderloin, too.

Dang. And that's just for Saturday judging. Haven't figured yet what we'll do for Fri.

Enough cold beer and it doesn't sting so bad.

Oh, well. Go big or go home.

Just remember.... the progressive claim that there is no inflation at all in obama's economy.

Where do I sign up for my free Obama-Q?

Beef prices really climbed. Pork has been higher than I like, but steady for quite a while.

Where do I sign up for my free Obama-Q?

Beef prices really climbed. Pork has been higher than I like, but steady for quite a while.

In the voters booth, first Tuesday in Nov.

Yeppers, no inflation here at all folk. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The problem is supply. Producers are not selling beef to build up herds due to losses. Drought, storms, cost of grain a few years ago, exports up 10% in NE alone, all add to the shortage we have now.

The problem is supply. Producers are not selling beef to build up herds due to losses. Drought, storms, cost of grain a few years ago, exports up 10% in NE alone, all add to the shortage we have now.

Yep Geico is right on. I raise cattle and they are at all time highs because of the reasons he stated.

I bought a 1/4 of a cow from a local farm this spring. Wishing I bought more now.

Look out folks. Next shortage will be toilette paper. TP companies will cut back production, prices will sky rocket and black market TP will sell on the internet. The White house knows we all need TP more than ever in history because of all the crap they serve us.....:rolleyes2: :lol:

I just paid $12 for a whole chicken. Quality beef is $17-20 a pound. Fish depending on what it is runs about the same as beef. Gulf shrimp 24's are $12 a pound.

I can't imagine what fast food has to do to sell a meal for $5.

Eat more buffalo.

Bison tenderloin is good stuff.

We normally do a beef tenderloin in the misc category of our BBQ contests (and won some real money too). With beef prices where they are, bison might not be that big a difference.

Will have to check on that.

Yep the weekend smoking sessions just seem to get more expensive! We have shared half a buffalo with some friends and hopefully I will collect on my elk cow tag in November. After eating Elk for a year beef just didn't taste as good afterwards. Both are so lean and when prepared properly are tough to beat.

I purchased the reserve grand champion steer last year at the local fair (which was incredible beef) but sure wasn't market price:no:

Roughly: beef tenderloin $20/lb for about an 8 pounder.

Bison tenderloin $35/lb.

Both tenderloins are very lean. The beef has a lighter, milder flavor. The bison is much deeper and richer, almost like beef concentrate.

Yep the weekend smoking sessions just seem to get more expensive! We have shared half a buffalo with some friends and hopefully I will collect on my elk cow tag in November. After eating Elk for a year beef just didn't taste as good afterwards. Both are so lean and when prepared properly are tough to beat.

I purchased the reserve grand champion steer last year at the local fair (which was incredible beef) but sure wasn't market price:no:

I mostly dined on moose when I lived in Alaska, and didn't even have to hunt it, although I had to skin and butcher it. I had some outfitter buddies that always had a spare moose or two from hunters. One moose would keep me fed for a year, eating moose steak every night. I never did acquire a taste for caribou or walrus. When I returned to the lower 48 it was hard for me to get back on beef, so I substitute bison instead.

I have the ultimate solution! Eat more carrots!! ....ok, I can't do it either. Mmm, I'd sure love some venison chili. Is that something you can get at whole foods? It's sure not at any typical grocery store I go to.

Deer season will soon be open in many places. School up to take them from the hoof to the dinner table, get the cobwebs off that 308.

As a side benefit, one less to hit during that night landing or evening drive.

This years corn crop could be a record, that will eventually help a wee bit. The price of energy and feed adds up too. Ethanol of course factors in.

Whole brisket is $7/lb!! That's around $80-$90 each. Crazy expensive. We have connections, hopefully we can get a good deal.

Looks like next weekend is going to add up. Probably $250 of brisket, $50-$75 of pork butts. Haven't priced ribs for a while. Sausage is already made, and yardbird is always more expensive than it should be. Will probably get a beef tenderloin, too.

Dang. And that's just for Saturday judging. Haven't figured yet what we'll do for Fri.

Enough cold beer and it doesn't sting so bad.

Oh, well. Go big or go home.

Well, look at feed prices, that is what ethanol for gasoline gets you. Continued use will only make matters worse.

I have the ultimate solution! Eat more carrots!! ....ok, I can't do it either. Mmm, I'd sure love some venison chili. Is that something you can get at whole foods? It's sure not at any typical grocery store I go to.

You should be able to find venison at a local "meat locker" butcher in your area. Since it's game meat, there are various restrictions on the sale in different places ranging from inspected open sale in markets to total ban, but usually you can get hooked up with some.

Precisely!

Every factor in the course of humanity at this point directs us to adopt hydrogen, the benefits come from every direction; yet we fight it. We don't deserve to have it soft, and nature/God/karma... what have you, will make it increasingly less soft until we finally learn like 2 year olds. Or we won't learn and see how much worse we can make it for ourselves.

It blew me away the other day, listening to an article about Ebola...they made the statement that the population of Africa is four times what it was when Ebola was first "discovered" a mere four decades ago back in the 70s.

I just checked online and confirmed this tidbit.

And the world population has doubled in those same four decades.

It's just not sustainable.

It blew me away the other day, listening to an article about Ebola...they made the statement that the population of Africa is four times what it was when Ebola was first "discovered" a mere four decades ago back in the 70s.

I just checked online and confirmed this tidbit.

And the world population has doubled in those same four decades.

It's just not sustainable.

Not without providing water and refrigeration. A fuel cell electric production unit can be built to provide all three from one load of energy. The waste heat of the process can run refrigeration units. We need to quit wasting energy and resources. We need to combine processes and increase efficiency. We can produce a lot of hydrogen for free by being able to capture all the wasted electricity and potential during 'off peak' and low load periods. Big plants are only efficient when you can use all they can produce. The waste energy from the process can be used in the purification of salt and contaminated water. As hydrogen you ship 13 kilos of product for one kilo shipping weight, nature carries the rest for you.

The entire universe is made out of hydrogen for a reason, it is very efficient in the matter energy conversion process and is stored in pure water which also carries with it the oxygen constituent we need for life. It gives back so many things for its cost, and mostly it can provide us with and endlessly scalable commodity based financial script that will completely derail radical Islam's call to Jihad.

All it takes is a bit of faith, faith that doing the right thing will yield the right result. Faith that peace will prove more prosperous than war, efficient more prosperous that wasteful.

Feed and fuel/transportation cost have risen. But, yes, meat is still a supply and demand item.

I just paid $12 for a whole chicken. Quality beef is $17-20 a pound. Fish depending on what it is runs about the same as beef. Gulf shrimp 24's are $12 a pound.

I can't imagine what fast food has to do to sell a meal for $5.

Mc D's has about 10% beef in their burger, the rest is soy & filler.

One of the guys on the team does have one of these grills (Weber Ranch) - I think we have our misc category covered:

Attachments

• WeberRanch.jpeg
    WeberRanch.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 21
James Dean (not the actor, Eggman) told us this was happening two years ago. He knows his protein, and beef, chicken, fish, eggs, milk, pork, etc have ALL gone up dramatically. How this is not reflected in the CPI along with 4.00/gallon gasoline is beyond my knowledge of economics.

Inflation is the highest it has been since the early 1980's yet CPI, and the Feds do not report it. I am at a loss.

Look out folks. Next shortage will be toilette paper. TP companies will cut back production, prices will sky rocket and black market TP will sell on the internet. The White house knows we all need TP more than ever in history because of all the crap they serve us.....:rolleyes2: :lol:

I've seen this first hand. The ship I was on ran out of money in our consumables budget. The ships storekeepers would not let us buy toilet paper to put in the heads. It got ugly fast! The captain finally heard about it and order the SKs to let us buy TP on credit...

Luckily I always carried about 8 rolls of Angle Soft in my rack. So I was OK.

Jim

Where are you shopping for Brisket at those prices?

I just paid $3.49 at Costco.

My restaurant supply store is $3.39 for generic, $3.49 for certified Angus.

Buddy in Austin paid $2.50 at HEB.

Pork is also back down from this spring.

u2y6aza9.jpg

zuva8u9a.jpg

Last edited:
Just at the local grocery store last night, picking up some odds and ends. Saw a couple whole briskets on the shelf for $7/lb.

I haven't bought brisket for a couple months, so I haven't followed the prices that closely.

Normally I'll buy from Sam's Club or I can get some at the will-call window at Cisco (restaurant supply). I'll find out in the next couple days what Sam's is asking for on select and choice, but what I saw at the local grocery store last night surprised me.

Where are you shopping for Brisket at those prices?

I just paid $3.49 at Costco.

My restaurant supply store is $3.39 for generic, $3.49 for certified Angus.

Buddy in Austin paid $2.50 at HEB.

Pork is also back down from this spring.

http://www.bls.gov/ro3/apmw.htm

You're doing better than most. Average retail for ground beef is above $4.

Mc D's has about 10% beef in their burger, the rest is soy & filler.

I'm gonna call BS on this. Would you happen to have a link for this claim you made?

From McD's website:
Are your burgers made using real beef?
Yes. Our burgers in the US are made using only 100% USDA-inspected beef. There are no preservatives, no fillers, no extenders and no so-called “pink slime” in our beef. The only thing added to our burgers is a bit of salt and pepper during grilling.

Link: McDonalds Answers Your Questions

http://www.bls.gov/ro3/apmw.htm

You're doing better than most. Average retail for ground beef is above $4.

The prices I had above were for Brisket, not ground beef.

The prices I had above were from Costco and from a restaurant supply house (that sells retail). Both are more "wholesale" type of operations than a "Average retail" type of operation.

There are a couple of interesting dynamics that have happened.

First, the piglet virus killed much of last winter/spring piglet crops, enough to seriously jack the prices of pork, resulting in less substitute for beef. And, as Beef supplies dwindled, pork issues, the costs of many proteins went up, including beef.

Also, ground beef is increasing due to people being priced out of steaks and roasts.

Every action has a reaction in a commodity market like beef.

And, per your link, the average price of ground beef is only $3.45

Ground beef, 100% beef, per lb. (453.6 gm)

$3.454/lb

Last edited:
Well, look at feed prices, that is what ethanol for gasoline gets you. Continued use will only make matters worse.

New crop corn prices are locally $2.85 a bushel, $9 for soybeans. A year ago it was $5 and $12, year before that $8 and $14. It has more to do with mother nature than anything else!

New crop corn prices are locally $2.85 a bushel, $9 for soybeans. A year ago it was $5 and $12, year before that $8 and $14. It has more to do with mother nature than anything else!

Yep, and waste. We are wasting feed on fuel. Why does the farmer price keep going down and feed prices up?:dunno:

Mother Nature for sure but there have been articles ad nauseum for the past 10 years explaining how harmful trying to make fuel out corn has been to our economy. It's been a disaster. It's a stupid way to make fuel. It's very very costly and has driven food prices way beyond common sense. It's a political problem. Farmers have powerful lobby's and love to whine a lot. Remember the " pic program" in the '80s? A massive giveaway to farmers. Crop insurance, etc. many farm welfare programs.

Last edited:
I know people love their meat, and I'm ready to duck and run, but...

I have been a vegetarian (ovo-lacto) for about 40 years. At 65, I seem to be at least as healthy as my meat eating friends.

I got matched with Karen, now my wife, on eHarmony. One of the criteria was that we were both vegetarians.

She's a great cook, and for us at least, our meals do not seem to lack anything for their lack of meat.

Anyway, one way to deal with high meat prices is to just eat less meat. Meat is very resource-intensive, and is bound to get even more expensive over time.

Just a thought, don't mean to seem preachy, and I'll bow out now, since these conversations tend to turn pretty snarky pretty fast.

I know people love their meat, and I'm ready to duck and run, but...

I have been a vegetarian (ovo-lacto) for about 40 years. At 65, I seem to be at least as healthy as my meat eating friends.

I got matched with Karen, now my wife, on eHarmony. One of the criteria was that we were both vegetarians.

She's a great cook, and for us at least, our meals do not seem to lack anything for their lack of meat.

Anyway, one way to deal with high meat prices is to just eat less meat. Meat is very resource-intensive, and is bound to get even more expensive over time.

Just a thought, don't mean to seem preachy, and I'll bow out now, since these conversations tend to turn pretty snarky pretty fast.

But I'm getting sick of eating chicken. :rolleyes2:

Back