Wow. Somebody needs to kill more cows.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the title of this thread should read "wow. Somebody needs to RAISE more cows".

The market is telling cattle producers to do so as the profit margins are high. Everybody just has to remember it takes over a year to raise a calf to market so lower prices won't happen overnight but barring weather problems we will produce more and prices will go down. It's happening in the corn market now and will happen eventually with cattle also.

What makes you think consumer prices will come down again when commodity prices do? Consumer prices are set by balancing price against consumption, cost of resource is irrelevant. Not until consumers quit buying the product in large enough quantities to affect total profit negatively will the price come down. Remember our system requires the corporations to maximize profit, not to make a fair profit or to serve society's best interest. We serve only money.

Remember our system requires the corporations to maximize profit, not to make a fair profit or to serve society's best interest. We serve only money.

Oh this leaves out something quite important...

Look at the stuff around you. Bet you a dollar to a donut most of it was made by a corporation. Bet most of it fills some need or desire you had, or you wouldn't have bought it. Probably pretty well. Better than one you would have made yourself. You had better things to do.

I bet a corporation built most of the boats you've sailed. The shoes on your feet. The clothes on your back. Or maybe you make your own textiles and sewing machines and welded all those boats together yourself.

Terrible. Evil corporation. They built all that stuff for you. Truly awful. Definitely wouldn't want them doing that for you anymore.

See, the tired "corporations are evil" line always leaves out that the corporation does give you a product you wanted in return for taking your money.

They aren't always ethical in providing it, but they would definitely disappear if they weren't actually producing things you need or want and you weren't buying. Happens every day.

This is also in stark contrast to government, who'll take as much as they can, and never produce anything if not forced to. Masters at producing as little as possible of value for the absolute highest cost. Why not?

They have no competition and you have virtually no say in what they spend your money on. Heck, they haven't spent real money in my lifetime. They figured out how to make themselves loans of fake money and how to devalue the fiat currency make it all look like it's paid for.

They produce virtually nothing of real value.

It's hilarious when you hear this anti-corporation stuff to realize the liars who say they "build roads and bridges for all", government, actually contracts all those jobs to for profit corporations. Mmm. Sounds like a racket doesn't it?

Yeah. Government built all that. Right. And that's why there's a paving company logo on the trucks paving the county road two miles from here, not a county logo. LOL.

Bad corporation. Evil corporation. Sayeth the politicians. Oh wait. Here, have a contract and do some government work. Thanks.

Look around the room. See any government tags on your clothes? Shoes? The fridge? The dishes in the pantry? The bar of soap in the bathroom?

Good luck buying everything you don't feel like making yourself from an independent artisan or craftsman. I hear there's some guy making nice high-efficiency furnaces with multi-stage DC blowers and a zone-controller better than the Nest that'll read your mind and turn on the heat from your brain waves.

Yeah. Corporations are evil. Sure. Got it. Where do I order up my government tennis shoes and that nice new HVAC system for the house? Maybe there's se guy nearby making pressure-treated fenceposts by the hundreds in his garage. I bet he would be cheaper than buying them at the evil corporation's lumber yard down the road. I should find an artisan who's making gasoline too. I'm sure somebody would happily sell me enough fuel to go get those fence posts with my pickup truck from their backyard refinery.

Yup. Definitely. Corporations are evil. Should do away with them. Terrible people. Terrible products. Nobody is happy with their fenceposts, clothes, shoes, gasoline, appliances... And they alllllll got ripped off by a corporation. Yup.

Henning posts on POA from his artisan Internet device the non-corporate guy next door wire wrapped together for him and wrote all the firmware and software for.

He sells his "anti-corporate" PCs and phones down at the Farmer's Market on Saturdays and Thursdays.

He doesn't believe in money since its evil and owned the the banking families, so he ships abducted small children to China as barter for computer chips and wire.

ROFLMAO. Yup. That's Henning's anti-corporate computer. Works great.

I have to play in the system I'm born into, that does not mean I shouldn't try to change it. I will most likely fail at it and watch my nieces and nephew die for my failure, but at least I will die knowing I tried, I will not die saying "I wish I would have...". For now though I still live, and we still have potential options, so I will keep trying through every avenue available. The only thing I can really do at this point is educate people, and I only expect to be able to educate 20% of the people I reach. As for the rest, when I am judged at the filter I will be able to say with a clear conscience, 'I tried my best', and that is all that karma requires, your best effort.

BTW, Corporations aren't evil, corporations are like guns, they are a construct of man, it's how men use these devices that determine whether they are righteous or evil. The way we have created the rules for corporate operation, the overall effect is evil. You believe we have a free market, but we have been at war for nearly a solid century to protect the monopoly that is our financial industry.

What one does is only a fraction of the issue, what one thinks, and why we do what we do is the lions share of what determines our moralistic value and if we are worthy to continue or get filtered out into the great void of dark matter and energy, our life information dumped into the garbage bin of junk lives.

Last edited:
Yup. Definitely. Corporations are evil. Should do away with them. Terrible people. Terrible products. Nobody is happy with their fenceposts, clothes, shoes, gasoline, appliances... And they alllllll got ripped off by a corporation. Yup.

You forgot to mention what most successful corporations often do with their obscene profits...

...they distribute them to their shareholders in the form of dividends! :yikes:

And then many of those shareholders use the dividends they receive, either directly or via retirement plans or pension funds, to improve their quality of life! :yes:

Evil. EVIL I tell you. :nonod:

And a bit different than a very common visualization of where profits go...

scrooge-mcduck-swimming-in-money.jpg

Last edited:
You forgot to mention what most successful corporations often do with their obscene profits...

...they distribute them to their shareholders in the form of dividends! :yikes:

And then many of those shareholders use the dividends they receive, either directly or in retirement plans or pension funds, to improve their quality of life! :yes:

Evil. EVIL I tell you. :nonod:

Lol, dividends to share holders? Sure, how much do you get? Look at the dividend to board bonus ratio, plus look at what percentage of the dividend stays 'in house'. Now what about the those wonderful multinationals that buy out their competitors, close the local plant and move the manufacturing over seas along with their head office?

If you want to keep your head in the sand, fine by me. If you want to rationalize 'the end justifies the means' mentality because you happen to be the beneficiary of the the 'ends' without giving consideration to those who had to sacrifice through the means, go for it, it won't harm me, I just don't get to live in a world worth living in.

Lol, dividends to share holders? Sure, how much do you get?

Well, my quarterly Apple dividend will more than pay for a new iPhone 6 or 6+.

My gains in Polaris may pay for one of these:

2014%2F07%2FPolaris-Slingshot-00.jpg

I think you may be jealous you haven't learned how to game the system!

Until it collapses, of course!

You aren't aware of these? Hard to believe, considering the multitude of articles concerning these breaks reported over the past 20 years. In addition to subsidies they don't need, several major company's pay little or no taxes. Instead of snarky reply, take that time to look it up. Easy to research.

That's not how it works, Jimmy. You repeat some asinine "facts" you learned from the DNC talking points, with no knowledge whatsoever about the topic at hand. Educate yourself.

For others here that actually care about the facts, let's look at the alleged "tax breaks
For the oil companies" over which little Jimmy got his panties in a wad:

1. Depletion. Every US taxpayer gets to recover their investment in a business asset over time. They do that via depreciation, amortization, or depletion. Depletion is used in the mining, timber and oil and gas world as a method of calculating how the investment is to be deducted. Same with the deductions for tangible and intangible drilling costs. Jimmy thinks that oil companies shouldn't enjoy the cost recovery tax deductions that every other business is allowed to take.

2. Domestic Production Activities Deduction (DPAD). After the exclusion of "extraterritorial income" was deemed to be an export subsidy for US companies by the World Trade Organization in 2001, congress enacted the DPAD in 2004 as an incentive to US manufacturing companies to encourage domestic production vs overseas production. It is true that it is a tax break, and not a cost recovery item. However, it is available to every US manufacturer. Jimmy thinks that oil companies shouldn't enjoy the tax deductions that every other US manufacturer is allowed to take.

3. Research and Development Credit. This has been around since 1981, and is available to any US company performing research and development IN THE US for the development of a new or substantial enhancement of an existing product or manufacturing process. Jimmy thinks that oil companies shouldn't enjoy the tax credits that every other US company that performs R&D is allowed to take.

4. Foreign Tax Credit. Any US company that has earnings overseas is allowed to offset the US taxes on those repatriated earnings by the some or all of the foreign taxes paid on those earnings. Jimmy thinks that o companies shouldn't enjoy the FTC that every other multinational or exporting US company is allowed to take.

Interestingly, if you google "tax breaks for oil companies", they all sound like Little Jimmy's screed. Full of bluster about oil companies' profits, and completely bereft of any factual knowledge of these "big oil" tax breaks.

What a joke.

Well, my quarterly Apple dividend will more than pay for a new iPhone 6 or 6+.

My gains in Polaris may pay for one of these:

2014%2F07%2FPolaris-Slingshot-00.jpg

I think you may be jealous you haven't learned how to game the system!

Until it collapses, of course!

Oh, I learned how, I just don't play, I don't want to participate and profit from a system I think is wrong. You're only talking a few weeks work for me to get those things, I'd rather do that.

So..... to get this thread back to Briskets....

Appears there might be an evil corporation that is causing this, Arby's....

Beef prices are rising across the country, but brisket has seen an even greater increase compared to other cuts of meat. And at least one barbecue expert thinks it’s due to the aforementioned fast food chain’s half-hearted attempt at a smoked meat sandwich.

Writing for Texas Monthly’s dedicated barbecue blog, TMBBQ, Daniel Vaughn first reported on the brisket shortage in April. He noted that at the famous BBQ joints in Texas (where brisket is by far the signature dish throughout the state), proprietors were paying consistently around $2.00 per pound for raw brisket recent years- but that has jumped well over $3.00 for some weeks in 2014. For establishments cooking thousands of pounds of brisket every week and hesitating to raise prices on regular customers, that represents a huge additional cost.

At the time, Vaughn chalked up the increase to the devastating drought and cattle depletion that has hit the US. (Cattle levels are currently at their lowest since 1951.) And that is certainly a huge factor. But why did brisket prices increase so much more than, say, ground chuck or ribeye?

But at the end of May, Vaughn identified another culprit: the Arby’s Smokehouse Brisket Sandwich. Introduced with great fanfare throughout the chain’s 3000+ locations this spring, Vaughn calculates that the chain conservatively needs 6,000 briskets every day. That’s 5% of the nation’s brisket supply.

He also points out that while ground meat can be made from many parts of the cow, each head of cattle can only produce two briskets, making a limited supply for increasing demand.

Vaughn cites an increase in the spread of Texas BBQ across the country, but we all know another brisket-heavy cuisine is experiencing a renaissance in the US: the Jewish deli. Could new delis, not to mention home cooks rediscovering their bubbe’s recipes, be fueling the shortage too?

Even an institution like Katz’s is not immune from these market fluctuations. Owner Jake Dell told the Jewish Daily Forward he is eating the cost increases for now, as he doesn’t want to increase sandwich prices “every week.”

Even so, a brisket sandwich at the famous Lower East Side deli will set you back almost $18. Between this and the only recently-ended Knish Drought, let’s hope nothing happens to the US bagel supply.

Makes perfect sense to me...:yes:

If I remember correctly, when McDonalds introduced the Chicken McNugget to Canada, they dramatically upset the Candian chicken market.

Even some sort of supply issue on the McRib that causes it to be a limited offering???

And, I believe similar happened here when Buffalo Wings started booming, as more demand for wings than for other parts of the chicken.

It is interesting how fads/trends can influence commodity prices.

The Gluten Free thing may become large enough to affect grain pricing.

I know that plantings of "humus" beans (chickpeas, garbanzo) has increased enough that other crops are being squeezed out.

A buddy grew Cilantro (corriander) this year for the first time for some seed company that couldn't get enough in its traditional area due to increased demands for fresh cilantro.

Anybody else remember how the price of limes skyrocketed earlier this year? Mexican drug cartels got into the supply line.

Whenever I think of Arby's, I think of Homer Simpson. "I'm so hungry I could eat at Arby's!" And his other line in a Halloween episode where he ate an alien blob that kept trying to get back out, "Oh, no you don't. If I can keep down Arby's I can keep down you!"

I've heard that you can gauge the price of pork by McDonald's. When it's cheap, they make McRibs.

You aren't aware of these? Hard to believe, considering the multitude of articles concerning these breaks reported over the past 20 years. In addition to subsidies they don't need, several major company's pay little or no taxes. Instead of snarky reply, take that time to look it up. Easy to research.

Can't name any, huh??

I have to play in the system I'm born into, that does not mean I shouldn't try to change it. I will most likely fail at it and watch my nieces and nephew die for my failure, but at least I will die knowing I tried, I will not die saying "I wish I would have...". For now though I still live, and we still have potential options, so I will keep trying through every avenue available. The only thing I can really do at this point is educate people, and I only expect to be able to educate 20% of the people I reach. As for the rest, when I am judged at the filter I will be able to say with a clear conscience, 'I tried my best', and that is all that karma requires, your best effort.

BTW, Corporations aren't evil, corporations are like guns, they are a construct of man, it's how men use these devices that determine whether they are righteous or evil. The way we have created the rules for corporate operation, the overall effect is evil. You believe we have a free market, but we have been at war for nearly a solid century to protect the monopoly that is our financial industry.

What one does is only a fraction of the issue, what one thinks, and why we do what we do is the lions share of what determines our moralistic value and if we are worthy to continue or get filtered out into the great void of dark matter and energy, our life information dumped into the garbage bin of junk lives.

LOL!!!

As soon as we point out that your lifestyle is thanks mostly to "evil" corporations, your silly story changes to the cliche'd old "fixing it from within". Yup.

Heard that one before. Never works long-term.

If you're "fixing" it, what's your deadline? Can you stop purchasing corporate created products for yourself and your one man crusade in say, a year? Three?

Shouldn't even be that long. But you'll happily be a sellout until then?

That's not how it works, Jimmy. You repeat some asinine "facts" you learned from the DNC talking points, with no knowledge whatsoever about the topic at hand. Educate yourself.

For others here that actually care about the facts, let's look at the alleged "tax breaks
For the oil companies" over which little Jimmy got his panties in a wad:

1. Depletion. Every US taxpayer gets to recover their investment in a business asset over time. They do that via depreciation, amortization, or depletion. Depletion is used in the mining, timber and oil and gas world as a method of calculating how the investment is to be deducted. Same with the deductions for tangible and intangible drilling costs. Jimmy thinks that oil companies shouldn't enjoy the cost recovery tax deductions that every other business is allowed to take.

2. Domestic Production Activities Deduction (DPAD). After the exclusion of "extraterritorial income" was deemed to be an export subsidy for US companies by the World Trade Organization in 2001, congress enacted the DPAD in 2004 as an incentive to US manufacturing companies to encourage domestic production vs overseas production. It is true that it is a tax break, and not a cost recovery item. However, it is available to every US manufacturer. Jimmy thinks that oil companies shouldn't enjoy the tax deductions that every other US manufacturer is allowed to take.

3. Research and Development Credit. This has been around since 1981, and is available to any US company performing research and development IN THE US for the development of a new or substantial enhancement of an existing product or manufacturing process. Jimmy thinks that oil companies shouldn't enjoy the tax credits that every other US company that performs R&D is allowed to take.

4. Foreign Tax Credit. Any US company that has earnings overseas is allowed to offset the US taxes on those repatriated earnings by the some or all of the foreign taxes paid on those earnings. Jimmy thinks that o companies shouldn't enjoy the FTC that every other multinational or exporting US company is allowed to take.

Interestingly, if you google "tax breaks for oil companies", they all sound like Little Jimmy's screed. Full of bluster about oil companies' profits, and completely bereft of any factual knowledge of these "big oil" tax breaks.

What a joke.
Now you've gone and effed up a perfectly good thread full of hyperbole with facts. Jeez, what next? lol

Now you've gone and effed up a perfectly good thread full of hyperbole with facts. Jeez, what next? lol

I know, I hate when that happens. But it so damned fun (and easy!) to shoot down leftists' hyperbole. I swear I was a B-17 waist gunner in an earlier life.

My other local grocery store is having their meat sale this week. Will be stopping by to get a pork loin (cryovac) to cut up for boneless chops and a roast. Will also pick up a beef loin strip ($4.99/lb) - I'll let them cut it into steaks (they'll cut for free) to save me the trouble. Fills up the freezer and I'm set until the next sale.

Last edited:
I picked up a half dozen really nice loin strip steaks for $5.99/lb last weekend in Muenster TX, but had to burn $50 worth of avgas round trip to Gainesville KGLE to buy them... plus put a few bucks worth of gas in the airport courtesy car. Here at my local supermarket, the same quality steaks generally run about $12/lb.

Had a nice surprise show up at KGLE that made the trip even more worthwhile. This aircraft called inbound 10 miles out as I was turning downwind to base :D After she landed, I got to climb on board and take a few photos.
bd7335_e72ed2e974e61f1fdbac1cccda0e28ce.jpg_srz_p_364_179_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

http://www.cafb29b24.org/#!b-24-liberator/c1zoh

I know people love their meat, and I'm ready to duck and run, but...

I have been a vegetarian (ovo-lacto) for about 40 years. At 65, I seem to be at least as healthy as my meat eating friends.

I got matched with Karen, now my wife, on eHarmony. One of the criteria was that we were both vegetarians.

She's a great cook, and for us at least, our meals do not seem to lack anything for their lack of meat.

Anyway, one way to deal with high meat prices is to just eat less meat. Meat is very resource-intensive, and is bound to get even more expensive over time.

Just a thought, don't mean to seem preachy, and I'll bow out now, since these conversations tend to turn pretty snarky pretty fast.

Well that explains alot.
If it's any consolation, I just paid 1.31 for an orange.
slinger

Pound of beans costs about a buck fifty (dried, they make a few pounds after cooking). Don't even know what brown rice costs, pretty cheap though (again, dried). Most of the veggies I buy are under a couple bucks a pound.

Well that explains alot.
If it's any consolation, I just paid 1.31 for an orange.
slinger

1.31 for just ONE Orange... WOW.......

As long as people keep paying that price, they will keep charging it.... If the public would not buy them for a while and they all rot on the store shelves,, the price will come down faster then a lead balloon......

Supply and demand at it's finest...;)

1.31 for just ONE Orange... WOW.......

As long as people keep paying that price, they will keep charging it.... If the public would not buy them for a while and they all rot on the store shelves,, the price will come down faster then a lead balloon......

Supply and demand at it's finest...;)

I wanted to trade some .22 ammo but was afraid I'd wind up in jail.:wink2:

Back