Would you like a parachute with that?

"Seatbelts - $20. Each way."
"But, seatbelts are mandatory."
"Exactly! $20, please."

"Ladies and gentlemen, the fuel trucks have pulled up to fuel us for our trip this morning. Please swipe your credit cards on the reader in your armrest for your fuel surcharge. Note that the fuel trucks cannot begin to pump fuel until every passenger has successfully swiped his or her card. The flashing red light above your seat will extinguish once your card has been charged. Any passenger who fails to extinguish his or her light within 2 minutes will be charged an additional 10% fuel truck excess idle fuel burn surcharge."

"In the event of a loss of oxygen, an oxygen mask will deploy from the overhead. To begin the flow of oxygen, please swipe your credit card on the seat back in front of you. After validation, oxygen will begin to flow to your mask. Please make sure you use a valid credit card on your first attempt, as you will most likely not have to chance to try a second card, in the unlikely event of a disapproved card."

"Please stow your carry on luggage beneath the seat ahead of you. If your carry-ons will not fit under the seat, you may deposit $20 in coins only in the slot on the overhead bin or swipe your credit card on the readers to unlock that bin."

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome aboard our flight today. For your comfort, flight attendant call buttons are located in the overhead directly above your seat. In order to activate this button, please swipe your credit card through the reader on your armrest. Please note that there is an additional service charge assessed for each activation of the call button."

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have reached our destination. When retrieving your luggage from the overhead bins, please note that luggage may have shifted during landing. Please open the bins with care. In order to open the bins, please deposit $20 in coins only, in the slots provided, or swipe your credit card on the readers."

That ain't funny, Greg!! I expect to see exactly that before long...

sheesh - let's see what ELSE we can de-regulate for the public "good". :rolleyes:

I suspect the airline will be sadly disappointed when passengers don't cue up to rent blankets and pillows. Indeed, the new fees may be revenue neutral, since someone has to account for the merchandise and fees. All it will accomplish will be to further aggravate the flying public.

Flying down to Houston from Seattle yesterday on US Air they got no extra money from me. And they charge $2 for a soda or water and $1 for a cup of coffee or tea. Without that I might have sprung the $5 for a snack box, but with the charge for a non-alcoholic drink I just boycotted the whole thing. Same way tomorrow flying home. Cheap $%(*&^ that I am, I could expense the whole thing, but it's a matter of principle. And I've got a cousin who flies right seat for that airline, but I'm still not subsidizing them.

Flying down to Houston from Seattle yesterday on US Air they got no extra money from me. And they charge $2 for a soda or water and $1 for a cup of coffee or tea. Without that I might have sprung the $5 for a snack box, but with the charge for a non-alcoholic drink I just boycotted the whole thing. Same way tomorrow flying home. Cheap $%(*&^ that I am, I could expense the whole thing, but it's a matter of principle. And I've got a cousin who flies right seat for that airline, but I'm still not subsidizing them.

Wow, I can't remember how long it's been since I could pay only $1 for a cup of coffee!

next step will be to ban all carry-on food and drinks, to eliminate competition ... :(

Wow, I can't remember how long it's been since I could pay only $1 for a cup of coffee!

But $2 for a can of Coke? Sorry, I've been riding airlines too long to buy into this yet. Oh well, it cuts down the number of trips down the aisle. ;)

My mom just got in on AA. She's 84. They wanted to charge her for a Coke. She asked for deboarding assistance, and was told there was a handling fee. Checked one bag cause she's 84 years old, $20. They don't take cash, only credit. She will never again fly AA. But again, she's 84 so what's their downside? Next trip, her travel agent isn't touching the reservation process.

Last edited:
The loos in the Belgian train stations were all pay. The smaller stations had attendants, the big one in Brussels was coin operated. Had to pay a buck to take a wiz. Could live without that. I did like the food though, and the beer.

But $2 for a can of Coke? Sorry, I've been riding airlines too long to buy into this yet. Oh well, it cuts down the number of trips down the aisle. ;)

Try buying can at a walled garden like convention center like McCormick Place.

Price tends to rise when you don't have an alternative.

gotta watch out for the exploding can of soda!

Back