would you continue to fly?

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
When you know you get hypoxic above 7000' ?

Wow that seems hard to imagine so low. I routinely go 12.5 and never had a problem. Of course I am not a doctor so maybe it is common.. However, to answer your question - hell yes I would continue to fly. Install oxygen and deal with the dry nose/mouth !

Without supplemental oxygen, a pulse oximeter, and some testing time with a right seat pilot (preferably a CFI)? No.

But equipped and practiced? Why not?

Depends on the symptoms and one's lifestyle. If I were a smoker and had mild effects above 7,000, it would probably be normal. If I'm an otherwise healthy individual and having problems concentrating, writing and errors in judgment, then there might be some underlying medical condition that needs looking into.

Never experienced any sort of hypoxic symptoms that low. I've been to 13-14K for 20-30 minutes at a time with no issues as well. At least none that were pointed out to me.

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of hours just over 160. I don't think I have ever flown that high maybe 5500 one time. I generally fly in the C172 no need to lean zone. :)

I think it would be important to define "hypoxic" as to exactly what symptoms you're experiencing.

In some cases, exposure can build tolerance to the lack of oxygen...spending time up there might help.

On the other hand, it may also be a symptom of a larger problem that should be addressed outside the realm of "should I continue to fly".

Never experienced any sort of hypoxic symptoms that low. I've been to 13-14K for 20-30 minutes at a time with no issues as well. At least none that were pointed out to me.

Well, it's kinda hard to self-evaluate hypoxia. Obviously, you survived it, and you might know if you had some blatant operational issues. But that's well short of "no issues;" the usual conceptual fuzziness is very difficult to detect unless something bad happens.

If you're not exerting yourself, you won't feel bad. If you're well hydrated, you won't get the headache. You might feel unusually good.

I think if you were seriously hypoxic at 7000' you must have some other serious medical problem that would prevent you from flying. Aren't airliners pressurized to 8000'?

MSL or AGL?

If we're talking 7k MSL and you're actually hypoxic, not just a cheapie pulseoxy tells you that you are, you probably should talk to a doc.

Well, it's kinda hard to self-evaluate hypoxia. Obviously, you survived it, and you might know if you had some blatant operational issues. But that's well short of "no issues;" the usual conceptual fuzziness is very difficult to detect unless something bad happens.

If you're not exerting yourself, you won't feel bad. If you're well hydrated, you won't get the headache. You might feel unusually good.

I was flying with a crew on those occasions. We evaluate one another. A slight increase in breathing and pulse rate but that's about it. If we made any errors, they weren't any more than at sea level. Never felt euphoria or had a headache either. Felt drowsiness and apprehension before but that's normal when operating on 1 hour of sleep in Afghanistan.

I agree with those who say that someone who is symptomatically hypoxic above 7000 should probably get a medical checkup. But -- it might also be worth it to investigate easily corrected issues such as lack of physical fitness. As a healthy but somewhat overweight 48 year old woman, I used to experience a noticeably fast pulse when flying at 8500. The first time it happened I almost had a panic attack from it as it was unexpected, since I had been to 10,000 before (as a passenger) without noticing anything. A few years later I lost a lot of weight and became a good deal fitter, and the effect of altitude on heart rate became much less. In the last two years I've been up to 11,000 as PIC with no noticeable symptoms.

Actually, most people living near sea level do actually become mildly hypoxic at altitudes around 7K to 8K feet. If you really don't believe it fly at those altitudes at night. You'll start to loose your color vision.

Actually, most people living near sea level do actually become mildly hypoxic at altitudes around 7K to 8K feet. If you really don't believe it fly at those altitudes at night. You'll start to loose your color vision.

Yup. The first time I went up to 9,000 feet I noticed my mind wandering and my flying getting sloppy after about 20 minutes. I've spent the last 40 years at sea level.

I was flying with a crew on those occasions. We evaluate one another. A slight increase in breathing and pulse rate but that's about it. If we made any errors, they weren't any more than at sea level. Never felt euphoria or had a headache either. Felt drowsiness and apprehension before but that's normal when operating on 1 hour of sleep in Afghanistan.
Isn't crew rest part of your SOP?

I'm interested to hear from the OP what symptoms he had, etc. Was just wondering, how long generally (is there a general consensus?) after descending to a lower level before the effects wear off? Is it pretty immidiate? Any "hangover" from it?

Isn't crew rest part of your SOP?

Crew rest is, yes (8 hrs min). Crew sleep? No.

We got stuck at a FOB because of a sand storm and spent the night in an unheated tent. 42 degrees inside the tent with no blankets. Now, we had plenty of crew rest (time from work duties) but no one got any sleep.

Second this ^^^ We bought an O2 tank when we got the 182. Flying along at 8000 feet one day on one of our first trips, decided to try it just cause we had it. We had been experiencing no symptoms, but within seconds of oxygenating colors 'popped' and it was like taking off smudged glasses. From memory, I think we were still 93-4 area on the oximeter when we tried this.

Also agree that the response should depend on the symptoms experienced.

Jim

Being seriously hypoxic at pattern altitude would really cramp my style. 6885'. I'm guessing your friend won't be visiting any time soon.

Thank you for your service.
We got stuck at a FOB because of a sand storm and spent the night in an unheated tent. 42 degrees inside the tent with no blankets. Now, we had plenty of crew rest (time from work duties) but no one got any sleep.

For those who wonder about symptoms, I've been thru the high altitude chamber training and know the symptoms, I'm 75 and smoked for 40 years. but off the butts for well over 25years. Yes I have reduced capabilities at the south rim of the Grand Canyon 7400+'. It feels like I'm at 14,000' huffing and puffing.

Back