would you buy a plane that has a "substantial" accident history?

Dude, I don't think you have the experience to even know what to look for, maybe rent for another couple hundred hours.

Dude, I don't think you have the experience to even know what to look for, maybe rent for another couple hundred hours.
actually i dont, if i did... i wont be posting here :)

James James James! C'mon man, not everyone is an expert like you. The cat is asking opinions here, and is going to have an A&P look over the log books. I would imagine he'll have a very thorough prebuy done. Now if it were a C180 you'd be encouraging him I bet! :D

Yeah that didn't come off, didn't mean to be too much of a jerk

Just seems like if you don't know about the difference between WAAS and non WAAS, you might want to do a bit more research and get some more stick time behind different aircraft before you lay down some major cash on a plane. The panel is one of the biggest areas so focus.

Perhaps, but I my lack of thinking has never landed someone in harborview..

Last edited:
Yeah that didn't come off, didn't mean to be too much of a jerk

Just seems like if you don't know about the difference between WAAS and non WAAS, you might want to do a bit more research and get some more stick time behind different aircraft before you lay down some major cash on a plane. The panel is one of the biggest areas so focus.
Before I bought my first airplane, I read everything I could find. I asked opinions. I pestered a lot of sellers, and I finally bought a plane.

Then I learned what I needed to know.

I've flown lots of airplanes that have been totaled by the insurance company. Most of them don't fly pretty, but they fly.

The damage history is a "scarlet letter". You will have to deal with it when you sell of that happens. Why bother with it? Find a clean one and be done with it. Plenty of those out there

Before I bought my first airplane, I read everything I could find. I asked opinions. I pestered a lot of sellers, and I finally bought a plane.

Then I learned what I needed to know.

That's the way to do it. Nothing prepares you for plane ownership better than... plane ownership.

Alright guys, just drove 300 miles to see her...she ain't the beauty that everyone will oggle at. Factory paint, some chipped on the cowling, factory interior, pretty beat up, but no structural damage I could see, no hail or chips on the surface, spoke to few people who fly that thing and everyone said it flies great. She is not the type that would take on a date and expect people to feel jealous of you, but it's more of a marriage material . But again, I don't know squat, so flying next week with my CFI ... first xc and a test flight and meantime get my A&P go over the logs and then a prebuy.
May be I am doing the right thing, may be I am not... only way to find out, I guess.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My 182 had a wing replaced in 1978 it was a year old at the time and it flies fine!

Alright guys, just drove 300 miles to see her...she ain't the beauty that everyone will oggle at. Factory paint, some chipped on the cowling, factory interior, pretty beat up, but no structural damage I could see, no hail or chips on the surface, spoke to few people who fly that thing and everyone said it flies great. She is not the type that would take on a date and expect people to feel jealous of you, but it's more of a marriage material . But again, I don't know squat, so flying next week with my CFI ... first xc and a test flight and meantime get my A&P go over the logs and then a prebuy.
May be I am doing the right thing, may be I am not... only way to find out, I guess.

"Flies great" means didly squat. Make sure you check the rigging

just to clear up, the one i drove and saw yesterday didnt have any damage history, the other one with damage history is 1400 miles away, those log books are with my A&P

If I had the money, I'd buy Glacier Girl. She was damaged quite a bit. Looks good now. :)

@WannFly - you're not talking fondly of the local bird. Don't buy her.

Go see the distant bird and see if you're fond of her. If so, buy her.

I've got a bird I love. There are some things I didn't like and I've changed them. And I still have some projects to complete.

She may not be perfect when you cut the first check, but if you have a plan to get there you'll be very happy.

I tell my clients "The perfect is the enemy of the good". This may apply to your airplane purchase. I know it did for mine.

The damage history is a "scarlet letter". You will have to deal with it when you sell of that happens. Why bother with it? Find a clean one and be done with it. Plenty of those out there
When you buy it right, why worry?

I'd fly it, see how it compares the book numbers

How it flys hands off, and what trim and power settings and used for that.

Stall it, does it really want to drop a wing hard? Or does it just stall nice and easy.

Etc

I'd fly it, see how it compares the book numbers

How it flys hands off, and what trim and power settings and used for that.

Stall it, does it really want to drop a wing hard? Or does it just stall nice and easy.

Etc
Yah I am taking my CFI there this Saturday, provided the seller replies to my emails... and phone calls... so far he haven't send me the logs

What's your CFIs background?

As a student it's easy to think a CFI knows quite a bit, and compared to a student they do, but for a flight to check out a plane you might spend $$$$$ on, that's not going to be your typical average big box FBO CFI, I'd almost prefer a A&P who was a PPL or better.

What's your CFIs background?

As a student it's easy to think a CFI knows quite a bit, and compared to a student they do, but for a flight to check out a plane you might spend $$$$$ on, that's not going to be your typical average big box FBO CFI, I'd almost prefer a A&P who was a PPL or better.
Career CFI with 25 yrs...8500 hrs. My A&P also has PPL, I will have him fly after his inspection too...if the seller replies that is. Already found some discrepancy, the sales guy said it's used to monitor forest fires, after I specifically asked if it was a trainer, the line guys said off late it's only used for trainig. I don't mind if it was trainer, just don't like this cheap sales tactic. The registration card on the air craft is expired and people are training in it regularly, wonder what happened to the ARROW check. When asked the line guys said...must be in his office ...ha

For sure have your AP pilot buddy take it up!

Sounds like you have a good plan, don't worry too much about the seller, I've seen plenty of old crusty guys who sucks as selling their stuff :)

For sure have your AP pilot buddy take it up!

Sounds like you have a good plan, don't worry too much about the seller, I've seen plenty of old crusty guys who sucks as selling their stuff :)
This dude does this for a living..that's my problem. The plane belongs to a fbo/flight school/ used to be leased to county for monitoring forest fires. Will see how it goes, I am sure there will be others down the road

When you buy it right, why worry?

That's is the key bro. There are sellers that don't agree. One has to spend the time educating them.

We all have different budgets. When I started flying at the age of 24 I would have bought anything to get in to the air. As long as it is safe no harm. There are a lot of mechanics out there that get the unknowing buyer in to a jam on pre purchase. It happened to me once

Back