Would it be gauche to...?

Teryaki

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Teryaki
Hi, new forumite, aspiring GA pilot. I've been flying flight sims since I was in elementary school, and I'm start to get close to a point professionally where I'd be able to get into GA. Is it considered appropriate to ask for rides to see if I'd really enjoy it (or to snap some photos, or hop along for a trip)? If so, where's a good resource? Here? Something local?

I'd answer that if I knew that Gauche means.

Welcome aboard.

Great place is just to hang out at the local airport. But check in with a flight school or CFI and let then know you woukd like an introductory flight and see how you like it. It'll be your first lesson

I'd answer that if I knew that Gauche means.

Isn't that a South American cowboy?

Not gauche, but it may be expensive, and that might not get an answer you like.

If you're still appropriate age, check out EAA Young Eagles. If not, try a "discovery flight." They aren't cheap anymore, but you can find them everywhere flight training is going on. I recommend at least an hour. Some of them are much shorter.

Hi, new forumite, aspiring GA pilot. I've been flying flight sims since I was in elementary school, and I'm start to get close to a point professionally where I'd be able to get into GA. Is it considered appropriate to ask for rides to see if I'd really enjoy it (or to snap some photos, or hop along for a trip)? If so, where's a good resource? Here? Something local?

Folks here might be able to help if you mention which part of Chicago you're in and where you might prefer to conduct your training. I think an intro flight would be a great way to meet instructors and determine if flying is your thing. I've given many aspiring pilots rides before...often just chatting with folks at the airport will do the trick. Also, talk to a local flying club or EAA chapter. Folks who show up to the meetings tend to be pretty social and many would be happy to take you for a spin.

Folks here might be able to help if you mention which part of Chicago you're in and where you might prefer to conduct your training. I think an intro flight would be a great way to meet instructors and determine if flying is your thing. I've given many aspiring pilots rides before...often just chatting with folks at the airport will do the trick. Also, talk to a local flying club or EAA chapter. Folks who show up to the meetings tend to be pretty social and many would be happy to take you for a spin.

Currently NW suburbs, near KPWK and Schaumburg (06C).

Clearly then I need to get off my duff and get social!

Isn't that a South American cowboy?

Not gauche, but it may be expensive, and that might not get an answer you like.

If you're still appropriate age, check out EAA Young Eagles. If not, try a "discovery flight." They aren't cheap anymore, but you can find them everywhere flight training is going on. I recommend at least an hour. Some of them are much shorter.

Age is no longer a barrier as EAA has a relatively new program simply called Eagle Flights for adults: http://www.eaa.org/eagleflights/

So for the OP, seek out your local EAA Chapter and see what they can offer. Otherwise the Discovery Flight recommendation is a good one as it will also give you a look at how your potential flight school operates.

Age is no longer a barrier as EAA has a relatively new program simply called Eagle Flights for adults: http://www.eaa.org/eagleflights/

So for the OP, seek out your local EAA Chapter and see what they can offer. Otherwise the Discovery Flight recommendation is a good one as it will also give you a look at how your potential flight school operates.

Thanks! EAA definitely seems the folks I should be in touch with anyhow, as I'm aiming for a Coot.

Same as sinister.
Ummm....no.

Sinister: giving the impression that something harmful or evil is happening or will happen.
"there was something sinister about that murmuring voice"

Compare that to the definition of "gauche", above. While they share the same left-handed root, their normal usage meanings are entirely different.

In any event, there's nothing either menacing or awkward about hanging around the airport looking, or asking any pilots you know socially, for that ride.

Ummm....no.

Sinister: giving the impression that something harmful or evil is happening or will happen.
"there was something sinister about that murmuring voice"

Compare that to the definition of "gauche", above. While they share the same left-handed root, their normal usage meanings are entirely different.

In any event, there's nothing either menacing or awkward about hanging around the airport looking, or asking any pilots you know socially, for that ride.

;):D.

I dunno. I think both of you guys are wrong on the meaning.

"I don't get my car serviced at the shop there, they tend to gauche you."

No harm in striking up a conversation with someone and asking. Worst case, no, best case you get a free airplane ride, and possibly eve a friend or mentor. Networking is a useful skill!

I would not suggest adopting a Groucho costume and routine when trying to bag a ride at the airport. Whether TSA or the folks in the white coats would grab you first is uncertain, but you almost certainly won't get the ride.

Ditto for a gaucho costume.

But I've never heard of anyone denied a ride for being left-handed. So whether you're lefty, righty, or ambi, just get out there, ask politely, and enjoy the experience.

But I've never heard of anyone denied a ride for being left-handed. So whether you're lefty, righty, or ambi, just get out there, ask politely, and enjoy the experience.

Indeed, some of us regard being left handed as a sign of superiority. :D

The only time it becomes a pain when flying is that I use my left hand for both writing and holding the yoke. Annoying when ATC calls with an amendment to my clearance. :D:D

Some of the best times of my life were as a college junior hanging out around KFXE. I caught a ride with any and everyone leaving the ground. God I miss those days. :sigh:

Was there supposed to be a smiley after your question? If you were serious, it was Groucho. If you were kidding, I apologize.

Bob Gardner

But I thought Grouch-o was how we described Tom-D... on a good day... :eek:

I would not suggest adopting a Groucho costume and routine when trying to bag a ride at the airport. Whether TSA or the folks in the white coats would grab you first is uncertain, but you almost certainly won't get the ride.

Ditto for a gaucho costume.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I cannot believe no one yet has said that GOOD GOSH A-MIGHTY, YES YOU SHOULD ASK FOR RIDES!!! GO TO THE AIRPORT NOW!!! PILOTS ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR REASONS TO FLY!!!

Is that because the one truth I thought was sacrosanct about GA pilots is really not a truth? (Thread not to derail on "sacrosanct." No.)

Left handed?

corectomundo, you must have taken Latin as well!!!

"sacrosanct." , Really? Jesse, we need a dictionary app for the POA website if these smart people are gonna keep posting $2 words

Last edited:

I cannot believe no one yet has said that GOOD GOSH A-MIGHTY, YES YOU SHOULD ASK FOR RIDES!!! GO TO THE AIRPORT NOW!!! PILOTS ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR REASONS TO FLY!!!

Is that because the one truth I thought was sacrosanct about GA pilots is really not a truth? (Thread not to derail on "sacrosanct." No.)

Thanks all, really appreciate the replies. Lots of good advice, thanks very much!

Sacrosanct. I like it.

Whatever dictionary Google uses has a terrible example of usage.

The second one, in the definition text below, cut and pasted. It's both inaccurate for the U.S. and ignores numerous other countries where it's not true. LOL...

And why is there a second example inside the "synonyms" section anyway? It should be up with the other one.

Whoever the editor is of that dictionary obviously isn't very good at their job.

-----

sac·ro·sanct
sakrsaNG(k)t/
adjective
(esp. of a principle, place, or routine) regarded as too important or valuable to be interfered with.
"the individual's right to work has been upheld as sacrosanct"
synonyms:sacred, hallowed, respected, inviolable, inviolate, unimpeachable, invulnerable, untouchable, inalienable; protected, defended, secure, safe
"the separation of church and state is sacrosanct"
Origin

More
late 15th cent.: from Latin sacrosanctus, from sacro ‘by a sacred rite’ (ablative of sacrum ) + sanctus ‘holy.’

Indeed, some of us regard being left handed as a sign of superiority. :D

The only time it becomes a pain when flying is that I use my left hand for both writing and holding the yoke. Annoying when ATC calls with an amendment to my clearance. :D:D

Learn to fly right-seat....problem solved. :yes:

Back